1.8Zif or CFF Upgrade Instructions Please

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by ind, Jul 29, 2008.

1. ind

ind

I've read about the HDD and SDD upgrades, and I've decided that's something worth taking advantage of. I'm not worried about opening the system up - but I don't know exactly what I need.

Could those that have already been successful share some simplified instructions for the rest of us, including exactly what is required to purchase? I've read some posts about zif connectors and how the CFF connector is different than the 1.8" connector, or that it's backwards or something... I'm confused.

For example:

1.8Zif HDD Upgrade
    Parts required ?

CFF SDD Upgrade
    Parts required ?

Most if not all of these parts are found on ebay I'm sure.

Thanks much!!

ind, Jul 29, 2008
  2. ind

Jefri

1.8 zif hdd use : 1.8zif hdd if brand hitachi u have to use reverse zip cable,if toshiba u use original zif cable
    CF use : 1.8zif to cf adapter include cable,using the reverse one [sell on ebay] + CF card with at least 266x speed,300x better

Jefri, Jul 29, 2008
  3. ind

rory

I'm making a guise with pictures now.
    Rory

rory, Jul 29, 2008
  4. ind

ind

Thanks guys - I'm hoping this upgrade will allow me to run windows smoothly without any stuttering/pausing.

ind, Jul 30, 2008
  5. ind

CP-Geek

You can read pictures from my post in MuroBBS. Those should guide somewhat.

It's 60 Gb Toshiba with original Zif-cable.

CP-Geek, Aug 3, 2008
  6. ind

ind

Thanks man! Now I just need to learn... Swedish? =)

ind, Aug 3, 2008
  7. ind

CP-Geek

No, it's finnish :)

I'll write some english text for the pics for you, just a sec.

CP-Geek, Aug 3, 2008
  8. ind

CP-Geek

1.8" Toshiba HDD and Aspire One

1. Disassemble the ONE. Many guides for them, no need to repeat.

[​IMG]

2. "working area", Disassemble the sound-pcb so you gain access to the other screw for the SSD.

[​IMG]

3. Remove carefully the Zif-cable from SSD, be careful not to bend it too sharply.

[​IMG]

4. The direction on how to install the cable. ATTENTION! The original cable has blue support-plastics in the ends, I had to make it thinner, 1200 sandpaper did the trick. Just be careful. In this pic You also see some of the fastenings that have to be removed. Don't bend them too hard, try to cut.

[​IMG]

5. Attach the HDD to the bottom of the ONE's case with double-sided tape. Also it's a good idea to get some stiffer plastic (old package?) to isolate HDD from the motherboard. We don't like short's here...

[​IMG]

6. Fit for fight. Just to assemble.

[​IMG]

7. Before You start searching for the XP-disc go to BIOS and check that You did everything right. (If the Zif-cable is wrong way the ONE won't post, it just lights the HDD-light and stays there)

[​IMG]

Ready to go! Goes without mentioning that Your ONE's warranty is over after this.

CP-Geek, Aug 3, 2008
  9. ind

ind

Thanks again - really appreciate this.

ind, Aug 4, 2008
  10. ind

bandarako-one

Great info :eek: , THANKS!!!!!!

bandarako-one, Aug 5, 2008
  11. ind

peteju

peteju, Aug 8, 2008
  12. ind

Martini-man

peteju yes...

Martini-man, Aug 8, 2008
  13. ind

torrentlord

that was a good info i just orderd mine toshiba mk300 something ihope it works .so BTW how your battery last on xp and your write and read speed can you post some pic . and can you manage to put some pic of the cutting that you made to place the HD . what is xp like on can youstill notice the lags .cheers

torrentlord, Aug 12, 2008
  14. ind

hahutzy

How exactly does the cable need to be trimmed for it to work? Some instructions with pictures would be nice. Thanks.

hahutzy, Aug 21, 2008
  15. ind

torrentlord

the original cable try to thinner it with a file or sand paper but not to much,the blue end that goes to the ssd . that shoul be perfect

torrentlord, Aug 21, 2008
  16. ind

Prando

:!: First post!

Nice guide, great photos! this will help me a lot!!!!

Prando, Sep 2, 2008
  17. ind

tooltime

I have a toshiba disk and it wants the thinner ZIF cables. After reading some topics I found out that you can grind the original cable. Does this mean that you don't need the flip side cable for a toshiba disk? On which side do the contacts on the ZIF cable need to be at the Toshiba HDD end? From the tech docs at the toshiba site I understood it to be at the 'bottom' side, just like on the mainboard. If this is the case, you need a flipside cable to align the correct pins.

Am I wrong or what? Please help me out, I almost went bolt by pulling all my hair out from frustration. :roll:

link to the manual: http://www.toshibastorage.com/techdocs/MK3008GALTechnicalNotes-RevB0.pdf

tooltime, Sep 3, 2008
  18. ind

macles

You can get CF adapters cheap from dealextreme, i believe it also includes both types of ribbon cables, and some more information here.

macles, Sep 3, 2008
  19. ind

jacku

Help x 2... how exactly do you mean sanding it??? Any pics or instructions!!!!

jacku, Sep 14, 2008
  20. ind

deebo

Heres pictures of what I did.

I had to sand down the zif connector too for it to fit in the toshiba 3008gal drive, i used 1200 grain (no idea if these values are "international") sanding paper (the really fine one) and sanded it from the blue side (naturally) until it fit.

Then i made a template out of sturdy, but thin cardboard that fit on the bottom of the case. Then i put 3M double sided tape strips on the cardboard for the HDD to stick to the cardboard. The cardboard doesnt move at all at this point. Then i added a film of antistatic plastic on top of the drive to make sure it wont short out anything. Then i put it all together and voila, working aspire1 with a zif hdd.

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/~torkko/aspire1-hdd.jpg

deebo, Sep 14, 2008
Ask a Question