1.8Zif or CFF Upgrade Instructions Please

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by ind, Jul 29, 2008.

1. ind

amf5

Could someone help me out with my CF-to-ZIF adapter?

[​IMG][​IMG]

I tried both cables supplied with the adapter to no avail (and the cable that is used for the original SSD). With the cable in the middle, the LED on the adapter lights up but the CF card is not detected by the BIOS - other cables don't power up the adapter at all. I read something about having to "flip" the cable, but it didn't make any sense to me - anyone want to help me out?

amf5, Sep 22, 2008
  2. ind

Fauskin

Hi!

I've just installed ram and cf card. But the cf card wont appear in bios, and in windows xp it's recognized as a removable device. But i have problems with occasional hangs.

When trying to install vista, i can't find any disk to install on..

Am i the only one with this problem? or does everybody have this problem?

What's the solution?

Thanx in advance! ;)

Fauskin, Sep 22, 2008
  3. ind

isdereks

So is the filter recommended?

isdereks, Sep 25, 2008
  4. ind

melhiore

Filter is always recommended but w/o it stuff will work anyway. Officially will be more vulnerable for any interferences...

melhiore, Sep 25, 2008
  5. ind

snupple

Hi,

What is the actual read/write rates of the 1.8" hdd?

snupple, Oct 6, 2008
  6. ind

den812

I have a same , add 2 nights of troble :))

look at pibbon witn white end(more thin from blue), you must bend (fold flex at back side) for make opposit contact cable

___________________> like this one side is blue at othe side is contacts !!!

look at 1 position of boadrs and one pos. of adapter is opposit !!!!!
    normal you need opposit ribbon cable!

den812, Oct 6, 2008
  7. ind

Rasputin

Same deal for me on an E-bay ZIF-CF Adaptor with the Transcend 8GB 300x - none of the combinations of cables supplied works - the drive either isn't recognised by the BIOS, or the HDD light comes on and stays on.

I've just ordered Addonics' ZIF-CF adaptor - looks much more tidy & compact than the E-bay specials, so it'll probably fit better into the case. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've modded the case to remove some of the screw fittings for the trimmed ZIF-CF adaptor - worst part was removing the screw for the wireless LAN card - it was firmly jammed in place & wasn't moving anywhere. Tried all the usual tricks, in the end I had to snip the screw post, which would have been a problem - the wireless card is loose without it - but transferring the internal screw fitting from one of the removed support posts into the other post made it fit nice and tight again. RAM upgrade to 1.5GB at the same time - shame it's so difficult to do this, as this would be a nice performance fix for the majority of users.

Rasputin, Oct 7, 2008
  8. ind

morgster

Cheers for the guides people! Got my 30gb mk3008gal HD and 1.5gb RAM running fine! Installing XP now!

morgster, Oct 14, 2008
  9. ind

mikysee

For everyone that has installed the 1.8 HDD, do you notice any difference in battery life?

mikysee, Oct 14, 2008
  10. ind

Rasputin

The Addonics card arrived yesterday, fitted & worked first time. It's a very compact card, with little of the extra card space you see on the E-bay specials & fits neatly into the case with some minor trimmings.

I've loaded XP onto a Transcender 300x CF card, and it runs superbly - what a difference over the old SSD !

If you're interested & don't want to have to snip the larger ZIF-CF adaptors, the Addonics card is model number ADZIFCF.

Rasputin, Oct 16, 2008
  11. ind

Kilroy1024

That type of filter is usually used to address a problem with EMC emissions.
    ie: the Aspire one creating noise that will affect other devices.

Is it needed? Don't know.
    The only way to find out is to test the whole system in an EMC chamber.
    The hard drive might work better than the SSD.
    Might not.

Kilroy1024, Oct 17, 2008
  12. ind

Rasputin

The Addonics ZIF-CF card seems to work extremely well - HDTest reporting average transfer rates in the 38-39.5 MB/s area with the Transcend 300x card.

I've formatted the Tx with FAT32, installed Windows XP SP3, done the usual tricks (disabled system recovery etc.) and I can't believe how responsive the system is now - even with the Windows swap file resident on the Tx card. The 1.5GB of RAM obviously helps, but it's turned a sluggish Aspire One into quite an acceptable little laptop.

I had my doubts after a negative experience with an E-bay ZIF-CF card, but the Addonics card has definitely turned things around. I love the (converted) Aspire One !

Rasputin, Oct 17, 2008
  13. ind

energello

Hey boys i need help.

I have just buyed a cf card 8gb ultra IV SANDISK.
    The card works well, i have tried it with a card reader... really fast.
    Then i buyed a 1.8 zif cf from ebay
    THIS ONE
    http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0033632991

but it doesn't work!!! i tryed to connect the flat cable many times but the only result was the HDD LED locked ON.
    Bios doesn't detect CF card...

Now i need to buy another 1.8 zif cf interface but i need a surely working one

Can anyone indicate me the correct one and where to buy it

Tnk for help

energello, Oct 22, 2008
  14. ind

energello

hey probably this is my soluction!!!

can i say me if you have buyed also the cables? or only interface?!!? they sell items separately (funny)

tnk u

energello, Oct 22, 2008
  15. ind

johanch

what really is the difference between regular zif-cable and "crossed" or "inverted" cable?
    you see I have an old Creative zen vision m with hitachi-disk. I tried using this,but didn't work with original cable... any mods I could do?
    can I just flip the original cable at one end?

johanch, Oct 24, 2008
  16. ind

johanch

anyone?

johanch, Oct 26, 2008
  17. ind

tomrt

I took the ZIF cable with the blue end and the white end.
    To get a flip cable I just fold the white end (because it's the thinnest)

Then the folded white end is a little bigger than the blue end but I have been able to close the Zif connector of the CF-ZIF adaptator. And miracle, it works the AAO recognise the CF card.

Unfortunately I choosed the Transcend 16GB 133x, and working with it is the same disaster as the original SSD drive. The HDD access freeze all the time. I discover after that the CF 133x is MLC technology (like the original SSD) and the CF 300x is SLC, what we need. I didn't know before

All of this is such a big waste of time and money....how can we sell something with a defective HDD !!

tomrt, Oct 27, 2008
  18. ind

cachorropedorro

I tried it with BiWin 16GB 150X/300X UDMA Enabled CF
    CompactFlash Card. It's extremely fast running TinyVista Rev02. I need to do some actual benchmarks though. It took me a few tries to make my own flipside cable. I'm looking into purchasing one once I see one on ebay usa.

cachorropedorro, Oct 28, 2008
  19. ind

adam_uk

Installed my newly purchased 1.8" disk with ease!! Thanks everyone :)

adam_uk, Oct 30, 2008
  20. ind

MLO4180

thanks ever so much

MLO4180, Oct 31, 2008
Ask a Question