1.8Zif or CFF Upgrade Instructions Please

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by ind, Jul 29, 2008.

1. ind

Guest Guest

I did it! Thanks!!! Just something that could help me, when I remove the fastening I didn’t have the needed caliper to get stock into the disk, I put twice a transparent tape in the back and it work great, maybe the blue one could be spoil with a nail lime instead put off, I would try but I think about it too late. Sorry my English. P.D. the machine works better!!!!!

Guest, Oct 31, 2008
  2. ind

johanch

so no one here can explain the difference between the cable needed for a hitachi-disk and those for other disks? (Apparently the company who sent me new cables couldn't either, because i'm sitting here with 5 useless cables... )

johanch, Nov 3, 2008
  3. ind

johanch

for those who's interrested, I figured it out. The cable has to be flipped at one end.That means that you have to sand off the insulation at one end, so it gets connection. Mine is working great now with a Hitachi 30gb disk, nicked from a creative zen vision m.

johanch, Nov 3, 2008
  4. ind

melhiore

Nobody answers because we all know about it. There is couple of threads explaining what the flip cable is. F.e. this one: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2300&p=19282&hilit=flip+cable#p19282

SEARCH is very useful option - believe me... Guess what SEARCH is showing after asking for "flip cable": search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=flip+cable

melhiore, Nov 3, 2008
  5. ind

johanch

when I searched, I didn't find anything. And I tried. That's why I asked in this thread.

johanch, Nov 4, 2008
  6. ind

derweissengel

I have a Hitachi HTC426020G - 20 GB 1.8" ZIF PATA HDD I want to install. This so-called "reverse cable" has proven next to impossible to acquire. Digi-key (or is it Mouser) lists it in their catalog (from a link someone here posted), but it's not in stock and isn't due in until sometime next century. OK, so i go on ebay and find something in Hong-Kong that says ZIF cable for Hitachi...

Great, i order 10; they're cheap, only a buck apiece. Well turns out the NOT the reverse cable at all. It's very hard to decipher the poorly translated ebay descriptions. People on here seemed to be referring to the "reverse cables" like they grow on trees or something, but that's not what i'm finding. I'm ready to bag the Hitachi and go with Toshiba.

derweissengel, Nov 12, 2008
  7. ind

johanch

I ordered so called "inverted" cables from hongkong too, but turned out to be normal, not inverted. So I had to make them my self, as mentioned above. Maybe we bought them from the same company...

johanch, Nov 26, 2008
  8. ind

SamiSmiley

Now i know how to do . In the Aspire motherboard, ZIF Connector have 1 pin in left side, and the CF to ZIF adapter have 1 pin in right side. What we do, if we have normal cable, not the flip cable. Connectors have connecting pins always down, so we have to bend the connector sliders to the down, then we get the 1pin to 1pin. I have few pics that operation.

http://koti.welho.com/eijsmili/CF%20to% ... 002381.JPG
    http://koti.welho.com/eijsmili/CF%20to% ... 002386.JPG
    http://koti.welho.com/eijsmili/CF%20to% ... 002387.JPG

As we see, pin 1 goes to pin 40 that normal cable. Flipped cable pin 1 goes to pin 1.
    Sorry my bad english, i am finnish :D

EDIT: And now 3 days of working this shit, i finally get it works. 1.12.2008 22.51
    http://koti.welho.com/eijsmili/CF%20to% ... 002388.JPG

SamiSmiley, Dec 1, 2008
  9. ind

churillo79912

i hope i'm posting in the right section :D i've been reading about how people are securing the hard drive to the mobo andi've been wondering.... has anyone considered making a cradle for the hard drive? i've seen how you guys use double sided tape, i've seen a cardboard base to support it.. but wouldn't some sort of metal caddy be more secure than tape?? i see that there is the screw that the ssd is attached to, does anyone think it would be possible to create a caddy that screws into that spot? use the cardboard as support create a basic cross shaped caddy that can screw in the spot where the original ssd bolted into?!?! because these hard drives aren't cheap and i'd hate to have to buy another one because the tape melted or something haha

churillo79912, Dec 6, 2008
  10. ind

o_junk17

I just buy a Toshiba 1,8" 20GB (MK 2006GAL), but the conector is diferent with any post I see,my hard disk use CFF conector directly. I have the adapter from CFF to ZIF too, but did'nt work..please help me how to connect it.
    thanks...

o_junk17, Dec 6, 2008
  11. ind

sturdyphill

Hey everybody,

decided to take the plunge and do this upgrade... onnly i'm having problems...

I bought a toshiba mk6008gah, after fiddling around with the zif connector for ages I discovered taht the drive apparrently has a lif connector which doesn't quite fit, apparently zif cables are a little too thick.

Well to cut a long story short i've buggered the original zif cable, and need a replacement or preferably a zif to lif cable? any ideas where i can get a few in the uk? Checked on ebay and the only ones that seem to be there at the moment are sigular zif (not zif to lif) and i would prefer to get a few if possible and not at the ridculous prices on ebay at the moment....

Thanks

sturdyphill, Dec 8, 2008
  12. ind

ronime

I bought these recently:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0083204505

The maximum recommended length is 7.5cm so technically these are too long. I did get a MK3008GAL working (kind of) with one of these in my AAO but the disk had quite a few bad blocks on it when it arrived and more appeared after a short period of use. I'm hoping that this was due to a bad disk and not because the cable was too long and did not have the ferrite ring attached.

ronime, Dec 10, 2008
  13. ind

mbaran

Has anyone compared the speed of a 1.8 Toshiba to a 300X CF card?

mbaran, Dec 16, 2008
  14. ind

ronime

I didn't have a 300x CF card to perform a comparison with but I can tell you that you will be very lucky if you see 20MB/s out of a Toshiba 1.8" HD.

Personally, I'm holding out for the Runcore SSDs in preference to a 1.8" HD upgrade.

ronime, Dec 17, 2008
  15. ind

SamiSmiley

I have 300X CF and its quite fast, maybe same stage at my normal computer.

SamiSmiley, Dec 17, 2008
  16. ind

cacao74

I've just upgraded my AA1 with a HDD in place of a SSD. It works now great!
    The disk is a SAMSUNG HS122JC 120GB 1.8" 5400RPM.
    And with 1.5GB of RAM, i've got a fully featured notebook at the price of a netbook!

I'll install my favourite linux distro Slackware or everything else I wanna try.

A big thanks to CP-Geek and his posts/pictures.

bye

cacao74, Dec 17, 2008
  17. ind

churillo79912

this is a great mod for people who were to impatient to find a AAO with a hard drive. after receiving my MK6008GAH last night for xmas i immediately went to install it so now come the words of caution to those that think they know what there doing and to people who happen to have the AoA 110 the gah toshiba drives are pretty big and so i hope your good with a dremel tool because i had to shave down quiet a few pieces to get it to fit and then alot of electric tape. ha ha, now i'm pretty stacked with my new MK6008GAH, with some kensington memory 1.5 and i dont plan on opening this bad boy for a LONG time haha!!! oh and another word of caution. if you strip screws on the MOBO or SOUND CARD the quickest and scariest thing to do is crack the heads off of the screws do this as a last resort as i almost sh** my pants on 2 of them haha!!!!!!!

churillo79912, Dec 27, 2008
  18. ind

Xeos

I successfully applied an 60GB 1,8" zif drive from Toshiba.
    And it works great :p
    Thx for the howto, I used a hot glue pistol as well, the drive is solid to the case and there can still float air up and under.

For now I installed a dual boot of Ubuntu Ibex and Windows 7, it sounds unbelievable but I even have more battery time in windows :p
    And for windows (build 7000), everything just worked out of the box, finally Microsoft is meeting up there expectations.

Xeos, Jan 2, 2009
  19. ind

DaJoker

the 1.8" drives are designed for mobile devices like iPod / Zune players so they have to be sparing with battery power. ;)

DaJoker, Jan 4, 2009
  20. ind

vanyayo

I have got the same HardDisk (MK2006GAL) from mp-3 player MPIO HD300 :) . Did you connect harddrive to the computer?

Did anyone manage to connect HardDrive (MK2006GAL) to Acer Aspire One? :shock:

I need help!!! :|

vanyayo, Jan 6, 2009
Ask a Question