1.8Zif or CFF Upgrade Instructions Please

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by ind, Jul 29, 2008.

1. ind

adencool

just done this upgrade

first got a new ipod 60gb hd and rear case off flea bay and upgraded my ipod 5g from 30 gb to 60gb :D (cost £45 - but need the extra space and cheaper than trading for a ipod classic)

so i have upgraded the one with the old 30gb hd, though didnt go well (destroyed the original cable, trying to get it to fit, so again to flea bay any got 5xcables from hong kong - cost about £6(the rest will be going back on there soon)

installed last night - and reinstalled xp

im now impressed with acer one - performed poorly with the ssd, but with the hd, ita usable :mrgreen:

adencool, Jan 13, 2009
  2. ind

SlCKB0Y

Wrong drive. Its ATA, you need ZIF

SlCKB0Y, Jan 17, 2009
  3. ind

o_junk17

thankz for sickboy..
    where can I buy it,..can you tell me please?..

o_junk17, Jan 18, 2009
  4. ind

Jepser

Hi guys, I have quite a big problem. Did the mod with a MK3008GAL. I thinned down the cable so it would fit in the drive, I used double sided tape and cut a piece of an anti-static bag so it couldn't touch the motherboard or the bottom.

Here's the problem, first time i booted up the computer I think it made i little squeaking sound and then started up. I checked the BIOS and the drive wasn't recognized so i rebooted the computer and it won't go on. The light gets on when i hit the button but nothing else is happening, I have checked all cables and everything but I can't figure out whats wrong. Does anyone have a clue?

Jepser, Feb 22, 2009
  5. ind

2manydjs

Look at the pictures on the first page, is your cable inserted in the same way? (notice the text on the cable)

2manydjs, Feb 22, 2009
  6. ind

Jepser

Yes, the cable is inserted the same way as in the picture on the first page.

EDIT:
    I have opened it up once again. I have checked all the cables, everything seems fine nothing is damaged in the computer and so on. When I try to boot it now I can hear how the drive is "scratching". First it sounds like it is trying to choke up and then after a whilem it is making a scratching sound, almost like a small saw :p

But it won't start, the screen is completely blank. Even if the drive is wrecked the computer should start, right? I am all out of ideas and are hooping that someone might know what's wrong :/

Jepser, Feb 23, 2009
  7. ind

ronime

Not sure where you obtained your 3008GAL, but mine was sold as a "refurbished" ex-iPod drive on ebay.

Mine arrived with far too many bad block reallocations already recorded and far too many more appeared when I attempted to format the drive or perform a surface scan. In fact I was unable to complete a full format or surface scan on this drive.

Needless to say the drive was rejected as unfit for purpose and returned to the seller for a full refund.

Pure conjecture on my part, but there is probably a good reason why this particular drive was not whirring away inside an iPod any more.

ronime, Feb 23, 2009
  8. ind

Jepser

Ok, but shouldn't the computor be booting with a bad drive?

Jepser, Feb 23, 2009
  9. ind

2manydjs

What happens when you connect the original SSD?

2manydjs, Feb 23, 2009
  10. ind

ronime

That depends on how the BIOS POST routine is written. If the Acer BIOS POST waits forever for the boot device to become ready then it will never boot.

ronime, Feb 23, 2009
  11. ind

Jepser

I have tried that now, unfortunately it's the same when i connect the original SSD. The light gets on and I can hear how the computer is "trying" to load but the screen is blank. Is it possible that I have messed up the zif-cable? I have sanded down the original cable gently and when I had the zif-drive connected I could here that i was "scratching".

I don't think that I could have messed up the motherboard or daughterboard because I have just removed as usual.

Jepser, Feb 23, 2009
  12. ind

Jepser

I have now tried with another cable but yet it's the same result, the screen is just black when I hit the power button. I can hear that the computer is starting in some way.

Any clue?!

EDIT: I have solved the problem, I had quite a usual problem that probably just was a coincident that it happened after a had modded with the drive. This thread shows how it was fixed! http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11688

Jepser, Feb 26, 2009
  13. ind

adamj623

I've read somewhere that you need a 5mm thick single platter drive because a double platter 8 mm won't fit. Is that true?

adamj623, Feb 27, 2009
  14. ind

SbM

No, an 8mm drive will fit as well.

SbM, Feb 27, 2009
  15. ind

2manydjs

2manydjs, Mar 4, 2009
  16. ind

flashervn

Does anyone know if Samsung Hdd uses a normal ZIF cable or a flipside one?

flashervn, Mar 10, 2009
  17. ind

2manydjs

2manydjs, Mar 16, 2009
  18. ind

Nuin-AAO

I am new here, and after quite a bit of searching, I was left with more questions than answers. First off, I bought the 8GB AAO with 1GB RAM installed (this has a 3-cell battery). My AAO came with Windows XP Home, but I wanted to install XP Pro and Ubuntu on seperate partitions using the dual-boot feature. However, after realizing how dreadfully slow the SSD is, I thought a better solution would be to upgrade from the SSD to a HDD.

Based upon tnkgrl's pics and info, I found a decent-sized ZIF on eBay, specifically a Hitachi TravelStar 20 GB ZIF Hard Drive here... http://cgi.ebay.com/HITACHI-TravelS...yZ116342QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem. While 20 GB seems small, it is more than I will ever need for a dual-boot system.

My questions are:

1. Will this drive fit properly -- with case modification -- into my AAO? (I am not new to voiding warranties, I just don't want case-bulging or anything.)
    2. What is the difference in power consumption of a ZIF HDD versus the SSD? Is it noticeable?
    3. For those that have done the mod, are you happy with it? Was it a significant improvement for you?

Thanks to everyone on the forums for your help and support! :)

Nuin-AAO, Mar 17, 2009
  19. ind

SbM

1/ No case modification needed.
    2/ I didn't notice any difference. Must be marginal.
    3/ VERY significant improvement.

SbM, Mar 17, 2009
  20. ind

Nuin-AAO

Maybe I am looking at different pictures, but I saw that a screw hole had to be cut out? Or is that for a larger drive? Thanks for the response.

Nuin-AAO, Mar 17, 2009
Ask a Question