10.5.6 mounting .dmg kernel panics

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by sblocal, Dec 17, 2008.

1. sblocal

sblocal

kalyway install 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.6 running voodoo kernel. Used iATkos guide to update from 10.5.5. to 10.5.6 . Everything went fine during installation and everything runs fine in 10.5.6.
    I have sound , video , keyboard and trackpad. One issue when i downloaded the new firefox dmg. downloading went fine , but when it trys to mount the image kernel panic. Its not just firefox, I tried downloading from other sites. It seems 10.5.6 running voodoo kernel has an issue mounting the dmg and kernel panics. Just wanted to know if the guys running the vanilla kernel are having the same issue? Or if anyone else is having the same issue? Thanks guys!!!!

sblocal, Dec 17, 2008
  2. sblocal

ahovis

Exact same thing here and also missing trac pad adjustments under the mouse preferences. I am using the same Kalyway build.

ahovis, Dec 17, 2008
  3. sblocal

seal

I have kernel panic with "iphone_sdk_for_iphone_os_2.2_9m2621_final.dmg"
    Boot-132 with retail OS X.... Voodoo Kernel

Might rebuild the system back to 10.5.5 tonight.....
    10.5.6 with Voodoo Kernel is buggy...

seal, Dec 17, 2008
  4. sblocal

sblocal

Yes i do believe there is an issue between OSX 10.5.6. and voodoo kernel. Hopefully we can here from the guys using the vanilla kernel........?

sblocal, Dec 17, 2008
  5. sblocal

pink

I saw on the insanelymac forum somebody doing this update and then slipping back the voodo kernel 'cos
    he desperately needed the speedstep & something else, then moaned because it didn't work like he expected.

Wake Up People :shock:
    What's the point of updating to 10.5.6 if you ain't gonna use the 10.5.6 kernel? Huh?
    MacOS might look like there's a whole lotta loose parts you can just shuffle round, but
    kexts, Frameworks, PrivateFrameworks, SystemConfiguration.bundles, PreferencePanes,
    all depend. more or less, on running with the same version kernel.

Yeah, I'd only just 2 days ago installed the Voodoo-9.5 v.1.0 Final Release, but I'd been watching
    developer comments about what 10.5.6 fixed, so I've upgraded, 10.5.6 vanilla kernel.
    No .dmg mounting kernel panic, I've installed Safari 3.2.1, QuicktimeUpdate, Gimp & OOo.
    More shock horror, my keyboard and trackpad just worked, fine, after the upgrade, until
    I swapped back the old AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext to get my 1024 width again:
    pffft - killed the trackpad :cry: well, a mouse is more comfortable, but...

pink, Dec 17, 2008
  6. sblocal

sblocal

The reason why we use the Voodoo kernel is hyperthreading why else? It is a 20%-30% increase in processing speed. We did not know that it would clash with 10.5.6 update. Please note in iAtkos guide to updating to 10.5.6 that it is O.K. to use the Voodoo kernel. Thank you for your feedback but we dont need the sarcasm!!!

sblocal, Dec 17, 2008
  7. sblocal

rory

Update your system.kext to a Voodoo kernel one. USB/Disk mounting issues are usually caused by mismatched system.kext and kernel versions.
    I will try and find one and upload it
    Ok here it is, download the DMG, then in the files folder, there is the voodoo kernel system.kext http://xnu-dev.googlecode.com/files/Voo ... _Rev_A.dmg
    Rory

rory, Dec 17, 2008
  8. sblocal

pink

Sure, I was using voodoo until yesterday. But I never expected voodoo-xnu-9.5 to work in the place of darwin-xnu-9.6. Some people have got away with it, some people have not. Doesn't sound like something stable to recommend.

If Apple are using earlier components in a later release, then go ahead and try one of your own earlier same component. Apple keep the kernel and OS version numbers in step for some reason. I guess over the next few days we'll see quite a lot of what new doesn't work with an old kernel. And when you're modding stuff like this, always expect it to break, then you won't be disappointed.

I'll be making up my own mind in the next couple of gays whether to stick with 10.5.6 + vanilla or go back to 10.5.5 + voodoo. Here's what the voodoo developer(s) think of the situation: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... &p=1002390 . Up the page at post #144 he was a lot chirpier 5 hours previous.

pink, Dec 17, 2008
  9. sblocal

rory

Seems like it's going to be a while before voodoo 9.6 is released, and by the time it is, 10.5.7 (Hopefuly with blu ray support) will be just round the corner, or at least not too far away (10.5.5 was released end of september)
    Rory

rory, Dec 17, 2008
  10. sblocal

bm2

The problem is the new version of seatbelt.kext. If you downgrade to seatbelt from 10.5.5, the Voodoo kernel mounts images fine.

The 10.5.6 system.kext is compatible with Voodoo, too.

I downgraded to the attachment linked here, but that source has since been removed. Just copy seatbelt.kext, from /System/Library/Extensions, before upgrading.

bm2, Dec 17, 2008
  11. sblocal

MacUser

OR... remove... I removed and I can mound any DMGs

MacUser, Dec 17, 2008
  12. sblocal

sblocal

So I took 10.5.5. seatbelt kext from /System/Library/Extensions. Replaced the one 10.5.6 and everything seems to be working fine. Nice!!!! Thanks guys!!!! So for everyone with Voodoo Kernel in 10.5.6 , you need to replace seatbelt.kext with a 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext .

sblocal, Dec 18, 2008
  13. sblocal

onlineaddy

Someone uploaded that kext here.

onlineaddy, Jan 27, 2009
  14. sblocal

onlineaddy

I replace seatbelt.kext referenced above, and I no longer get a KP when mounting a .dmg. However, the disk image fails to mount with a "codec overrun" error. Any thoughts?

onlineaddy, Jan 28, 2009
  15. sblocal

Dan1jel

i got the same problem.. AND i got "no" USB ports.. :(

but to fix the 10.5.6 kernel panic do i just need to install the "system.kext" in the VooDoo 1.0 final.dmg to make it work with .DMG mounting? or do i need to downgrade my seatbelt.kext from 10.5.6 to 10.5.5 ?

some one please help me ?! :(

Dan1jel, Jan 28, 2009
  16. sblocal

Kopsis

To use the current version of the Voodoo kernel (9.5), you must have the 10.5.5 versions of both System.kext and Seatbelt.kext.

Kopsis, Jan 28, 2009
  17. sblocal

Dan1jel

so i only need the seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5? or do i realy need to get system.kext aswell? becose what i know i dident install any system.kext from voodoo final version.. (the one that was in the dmg file, i only installd the .pkg file)

Dan1jel, Jan 28, 2009
Ask a Question