10.5.7 ?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by 70869413, May 13, 2009.

1. 70869413

rory

No idea what you lot are doing but on a clean install with no kexts except ethernet, I installed teh delta update and rebooted in safe mode, then rebooted again after a random crash, not a kernel panic, something to do with my uni internet, and it rebooted to desktop.
    Bad times for you lot it seems

rory, May 20, 2009
  2. 70869413

jongleur

All well and good Rory (for you), but you can't expect to do a complete ("clean") re-install every time that there is a dot release of the the OS is the best way to manage your machine's installed applications and user-data.

Granted that most OSX installations on our AAOs are similar, they appear to be different enough so that with all the customisations there are going to be difficulties.

In my case I backup (which anyone should), so I downloaded/installed the Combo updater (I always download and use the combo updater as I've had problems with the delta from software update on other Apple systems). All was good (for me) on the re-reboot, except for the stretched 800x600 display. Several abortive attempts of fixes resulted in the corrupted/grey screen, but I was always able to reboot in safe mode and reinstall the 10.5.7 combo updater to restore my system (albeit with a stretched display). Following the instructions/guidelines by yohko101 back on page3 (step 6) I deleted the appleintel*.kext files in /System/Library/Extensions, rebooted and install the kexts from the Diablo Part1 folder from my install set and rebooted.

Over time all users are going to have more and more apps and data that even the "clean" install is going to make more inconvenient restoring the applications and data used. Although the "clean" install is a reliable fallback, I think we should always endeavor and promote users to use the update method, rather that advocate "nuke and burn".

jongleur, May 21, 2009
  3. 70869413

harlley sathler

Hey yohko101, thank you for your support!

I followd your instructions and now my system is up and running at full resolution!

harlley sathler, May 21, 2009
  4. 70869413

rory

Oh yeah, but I didnt nuke and install, I had windows 7 on it and thought id go dualboot. Completely agree about it being a stupid method if youre already installed, but thought I would tell everyone that its installed kexts that are breaking it rather than with older updates where midway through it installed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and nuked the install.

rory, May 22, 2009
  5. 70869413

harlley sathler

Hi all,

I noted another small issue with 10.5.7 on my One: I lose the battery indicator.

It shows me when battery is charging, but if I remove the power supply, the indicator still in 100%.

Anyone have this problem?

P.S.: I reinstalled the Paul´s AppleACPIBattery.kext, and nothing...

harlley sathler, May 24, 2009
  6. 70869413

yohko101

you can reinstall the batteryfix kext from any of the installation cd's, open pacifisit and you should be able to install it from there. personally, i've seen it in the ideneb, iatkos and ipc distro's.

yohko101, May 24, 2009
  7. 70869413

harlley sathler

Hi yohko101,

Do you remember exactly what is the name of the kext? I will search on the web because now I´m without the external DVD drive I used to restore the system...

Thank you again!

[Edit] - I used another computer to search the XxX Install Disc, and can´t finde any BatteryFix. :(

harlley sathler, May 24, 2009
  8. 70869413

MasterJediAdam

First off, important info on my 'build' of Mac OSX. I used a Boot 132 to install the OS from a factory CD. Everything is functional under 10.5.6 to include the webcam, mic, and automatic audio swap b/t built-in speakers and headphones with the exception of sleep - which seems to be the unresolved compatibility issue with most/all? builds. I was able to use updater to update everything after the install to get it to 10.5.6. I am running a 8.9' Aspire One with 160Gb HDD and 1.5 Gb RAM, with a factory Apple 'N' standard WIFI card. The computer is currently dualbooted with Vista (Vista is the 2nd partition).

I also downloaded/installed the 286Mb 'Delta' updater. After install and reboot, it did restart a second time automatically before allowing me to reenter the OS. I also noticed that the resolution was reset to 800 x 600, with no way to set it back to the higher resolution. After reloading the GMA950 package and using OSx86 Tools to reinstate the Framebuffer kext I was able to fix the resolution. Using the AL286 installer and another fix found on the OSx86 forums, I was able to reinstate the autoswitch with the audio. After a reboot, the battery meter fixed itself; so I was fairly pleased and thought that I had dodged the bullet on this significant update.

However when I went to open iChat and video chat with my wife it crashed miserably. In fact, all software that could use the webcam suddenly fould themselves without support at all. This raised my suspicion about what other functionality may have been lost. After some searching, it seems that the only other thing - though significant - that I lost was the ability to open any software that uses OpenGL.

My question to all is does anyone know what I should do to fix this?

Coincidentally, I used Time Machine to restore my backup and the only additional thing that I needed to do was to reinstall the latest Chameleon build; everything else came back with the backup (except it needed to rebuild spotlight).

Any suggestions?

MasterJediAdam, May 25, 2009
  9. 70869413

jrvirtue

Just got 10.5.7 fully working on my aspire one except for OpenGL. Anyone else with this problem?

Jason

jrvirtue, May 25, 2009
  10. 70869413

yohko101

i think its called AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext. atleast thats the one i found on my machine that has battery on it lol. '

As for the ichat stuff, what you would want when you look at your system profiler is you have Core Image: Hardware Accelerated and Quartz Extreme enabled. That's what happened to me before when i was starting to install osx and i didnt really know wat i was doing. Theres a couple entries on this thread where you can download the kext's you need for it.

yohko101, May 25, 2009
  11. 70869413

jrvirtue

Figured out my problem with OpenGL. I didn't realize opengl and quartz extreme were related. Installing this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zxylmnnnzzy

MSI Wind package fixed my OpenGL problem. See viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14122&start=30#p89766 for more info.

Cheers,
    Jason

jrvirtue, May 25, 2009
  12. 70869413

esajw

Hello, I hope someone can help.
    I have got in a bit of a mess after using apple's latest update (10.5.7) after which I lost screen settings, not a big deal to sort, but after following some dodgy instructions else where on this forum have lost complete control of my lovely aspire!
    OK where am I at?
    Each time I boot in I get beyond the Mac logo to a blank blue screen and then stop, disc activity light flashes for a while and then goes off.
    I have tried to boot up from the iDeneb disc and from the Acer disc but the mac start up kicks and takes control, even after selecting boot order (F2 and F12).
    I have flashed the BIOS
    Done a -v and -x
    All I want to do now is wipe the disc and start again! Like I say I am out of control!
    I do not know enough code (DOS) to side step whats happening and have hunted the forum and internet.
    Any help, advice or pointers in the right direction would be most appreciated.
    Thank you

Edit 1
    Have gained some control with -s but not sure what next, help still appreciated.

EDIT 2
    Hurrah! tracked down the following which has got me back in control - "right after you pick the dvd drive and the screen turn black from theF12 screen press spacebar one and wait. I was having the same issues and just had to keep trying. Only press it one and then a boot from cd message will come up."

esajw, May 25, 2009
  13. 70869413

yohko101

i think what happened to you is that you need to reinstall the video kexts. so boot using '-s'. you should be in the terminal (black screen with just text). find your appleintelgma kext and delete it. then reboot. you should be able to see your screen now.

yohko101, May 25, 2009
  14. 70869413

harlley sathler

Back to the battery meter problem: I search my Extensions folder, and find only the AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext.

I tried to install the package of it from the DVD and have the same extrange behavior, so I searched for other versions of the same extension, bur again and again no success.

I tried then the VoodooBattrery.kext, and now the menu bar indicator shows correctly. Just the remaining time information is not much consistent, but it´s better than before...

harlley sathler, May 26, 2009
  15. 70869413

I have successfully update my iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 (Vanilla).

1. Connect external DVD-ROM to the AAO, put iDeneb 10.5.6 DVD inside.
    2. Download Mac OS X 10.5.7 Delta Update from Apple
    3. Run 10.5.7 Update, restart
    4. Press F12 and choose to boot from DVD
    5. In iDeneb, install "Acer Aspire One A150" patches (DO NOT INSTALL iDeneb Essential System)
    6. Restart, Boot into safe mode with the harddrive (-x)
    7. Re-install DoNotSleep from diablosideneb14.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?y1qxzmnzz5y]download here[/url])
    8. Re-install GMA950 from diablosideneb14.zip (Not sure if it is necessary, I did it anyway)
    9. Re-install IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext (download here)
    10. Install WindVideo from GreenGoblin (http://www.mediafire.com/?zxylmnnnzzy]download here[/url])
    11. Delete Extensions.mkext and reboot, repair permissions
    12. Re-install chameleon 2

Problems:
    1. No Sound
    2. Kernel panic when loading some dmg files

70869413, May 26, 2009
  16. 70869413

tieitsch

Sorry, that's not worth it ...

tieitsch, May 29, 2009
  17. 70869413

NaplesBill

I updated my iDeneb 1.4 to 10.5.7 and I have sound working. I just had to reinstall the VoodooHDA.kext. I also reinstalled the seatbelt.kext to fix the dmg kernel panic.

The system seems very stable and I also have the internal wireless working. I used the KisMAC trunk r319 solution. It involves replacing IO80211Family.kext and running KisMAC at first boot and before clicking anything wireless. It works pretty well once you figure it all out.

This is all on a AAO D250.

NaplesBill, May 29, 2009
  18. 70869413

cvhorton

I also fixed the audio and dmg kernal panics by reinstalling the audio and seatbelt.kexts on my A150. 10.5.7 is running nicely for me.

cvhorton, May 30, 2009
  19. 70869413

which seatbelt.kext you install?
    I see there are 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext and 10.5.6 seatbelt.kext but I can't find any seatbelt.kext for 10.5.7....?

70869413, May 30, 2009
  20. 70869413

cvhorton

I just used the 10.5.5 kext and it worked fine...

cvhorton, May 30, 2009
Ask a Question