110 Losing Disk

Discussion in 'Linux' started by hoki_goujons, Sep 22, 2009.

1. hoki_goujons

hoki_goujons

I've got a 110, 8GB SSD. It had Linpus on when it came, but a few times I'd go to turn the netbook on and it wouldn't boot - couldn't see any sort of a bootable partition on the SSD. I reinstalled and it happened again a couple of times (reinstalling every time), until I installed Ubuntu UNR. This was fine for a few weeks, but now the same thing has happened.

Does anyone know what's going on here? The BIOS can see the SSD, but it can't see any partition on it. When I boot with a live CD, I can't see any partition on the SSD either.

hoki_goujons, Sep 22, 2009
  2. hoki_goujons

RockDoctor

Is it partitioned? I ask because it's possible to configure a removable flash drive as a single partition. You could try booting a live CD, opening a terminal window, and typing
    Code:
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null
    . If your SSD is partitioned, you'll see an entry for /dev/sda1 (and possibly other /dev/sdax entries). If you don't see at least /dev/sda1, but do see /dev/sda, then the live CD's OS is seeing the SSD as unpartitioned.

RockDoctor, Sep 28, 2009
  3. hoki_goujons

hoki_goujons

Thanks for the reply. I tried doing an fdisk -l and it couldn't see a partition on the SSD. I'm going to send it back and get a replacement.

hoki_goujons, Sep 28, 2009
Ask a Question