1410 vs. 751

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Drjones, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Drjones

Drjones

Hi guys.

In August I purchased a 751h, 2GB RAM and 250GB HD. It came with Vista, which was pretty awful, but since I installed Win7 on it, I don't want to put it down because it performs so well. It's BLAZING fast, a great little machine and I absolutely love it.

My mother needs a new computer and she really likes mine. I'm considering giving it to her and getting myself the new 1410 - what do you think? Does the new processor in the 1410 make that big a performance difference?

In the benchmarks I've read, even the single core version (apparently there is also a dual-core 1410) is twice to three times as fast as the Atom in my 751 - that's pretty impressive.

I can only imagine that the 1410 with a clean install of Win7 would absolutely FLY. It would also be nice to have the different touchpad buttons and wireless N.

What do you guys think of the 1410?

Also, is it worth it to get the dual core model over the single core?

Also to confirm, the 1410 has VGA-out AND HDMI? This would save me from buying an adapter for when I need to give presentations.

Thanks!!!

Drjones, Nov 14, 2009
  2. Drjones

shawnspawn

I have a 1410 with Windows 7, I am just starting to play around with it. Yes the core 2 solo chip is way faster than the atom in my ZG5. I have not heard of a dual core processor in any netbooks yet, infact I cannot even find the 1410 right now, not at bestbuy or futureshop (canada) you think they would have them on the market for xmas??

Oh yeah and it does have HDMI and VGA output.

shawnspawn, Nov 15, 2009
  3. Drjones

Eosblue

search nextag.com There are several outlets for this unit (low price seems to be $400). From what I briefly read, this is the computer that I would buy IF I hadn't already got a 751h recently. These newer, bigger, better netbooks keep popping out of the Acer pipeline. It was just last year at this time when I got my Acer 8.9"er which I sold 7 months later for $250 in order to buy the 751h.

I don't see anything in the 1410 that makes it a must buy for me and I'm happy with my 751h now that it has Win7. So, maybe in a year or so, I'll spring for the latest Acer netbook out of the pipe line. By that time there will probably be 5 new upgrade models (each newer, bigger, better than the 1410).

Since I only use my netbook for travel, my 751h serves the purpose that I bought it for.

Eosblue, Nov 15, 2009
  4. Drjones

shurcool

Yeah, those 1410/1810 are awesome little machines with the CULV processors.

Personally, I like the Gateway branded EC18/EC14 series a little better (mostly the looks). But it's the same company (Gateway is owned by Acer), just a different label.

And yes, there are dual-core CULV processors available, like the SU4100 for example. Take a look at this model for instance (the only thing that bothers me about it is that it comes w/ a 3-cell battery instead of 6-cell).

Whether or not a dual-core CPU is needed on a netbook is questionable to me. It probably isn't a bad idea, but I still like having a faster single core than two slower cores. As long as the dual-core CULV doesn't drain the battery much more. In any case, even the single core SU3500 is extremely fast.

shurcool, Nov 15, 2009
  5. Drjones

Drjones

Bump....any more input? :)

Drjones, Nov 18, 2009
  6. Drjones

scwinn

I think the Gateway LT31 is a good compromiose. Is the 1410 really a netbook?

scwinn, Nov 18, 2009
  7. Drjones

shurcool

It's a fast 11.6" netbook. It's not an 8.9" netbook.

shurcool, Nov 18, 2009
  8. Drjones

Nick_in_Wash

My wife described my Gateway EC18 as "a teenager, awkward, but with all the pieces." My first test is can I pick it up from a corner and not feel that I am doing something wrong that is going to break it or make me drop it. For that the Ec18 is a Fail and my wife's EEE 1005 is a Win. My acid test is full screen Hulu with STD def. After some tuning the 1005 passes. Until the release of Flash 10.1 this week the EC18 was a Fail, but now it's SU3500 Core 2 Solo works just fine. :)

The 11.6" superNetbooks like the EC18 or the Acer 1410 (and no I do not put the 751 in the same category) have transitioned to some new weight and size universe and they are not the cutey netbook that you love. That said it is in my flapdoozie every morning as I go to work and I know it will do everything I want without major compromise, so all good.

Nick_in_Wash, Nov 19, 2009
  9. Drjones

Scott88

Hey Nick_in_wash,

Do you know what the noise level of and EC18 is compared to a 751? Is it much noisier?

Scott88, Dec 3, 2009
  10. Drjones

shurcool

I can't compare it to a 751, but I can tell you in absolute terms.

It's pretty much completely silent.

Compared to my not-so-noisy A110, it's still much much more quiet.

shurcool, Dec 3, 2009
  11. Drjones

Drjones

Can anyone provide more insight as to which processor might be the best buy?
    The 2300 is getting mighty hard to find....

Drjones, Dec 3, 2009
  12. Drjones

yelvington

I think the SU2300 (dual-core Celeron) is the best buy. I got a red 1410 from B&H for $399. They're sold out of red at the moment, but blue ones have appeared. There are plenty of 1410s with lesser processors around that price point, some with more disk space, but I'd go for the CPU over disk space any day.

yelvington, Dec 7, 2009
  13. Drjones

Drjones

Thanks. I got to play around with a friends' 1410 all weekend and it was blazing fast - definitely faster than my current primary computer, a 2.4Ghz P4!!!

Thankfully I ordered a 1410 with the SU2300 on Saturday night, because not even 24 hours later, what few 1410s remained with SU2300 had jumped to over $500!!! :shock:

Drjones, Dec 8, 2009
Ask a Question