16 Gig SSD Question?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Shad0wguy, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Shad0wguy

Shad0wguy

Even though they advertise it as 16GB it is actually a standard 8GB SSD, and they include an additional 8GB SDHC card. In Windows it will only show as two drives.

Shad0wguy, Apr 5, 2009
  2. Shad0wguy

garrettp

Wow, you are correct. Basically you have an 8gb MLC SSD drive. Why they list the SD card along to make it 16gb should be false advertising. The only advantage this would give you is if you had Vista, which would be a disadvantage on the AAO over XP or other OS's.

I also believe (but could be wrong) that the internal drive is a ZIF socket and not SATA. I would find that out first and then look into upgrading the internal drive. Sorry but I do not know enough about other AA1 models to answer that for you.

My AA1 came with the 160gb rotational hard drive. I am going to change that out to a 32gb SLC SSD from newegg.com for $109. I do use both SD ports often and will probably add one internally since I often need 3 SD slots at 1 time.

garrettp, Apr 5, 2009
  3. Shad0wguy

BoBoDaClown

Hey,

Thanks for the replies guys.

So is this standard for the 16gb Model? Or should I be taking it back complaining? The reason why ask is I heard the actual SSD performance is better on the windows 16gb compared to 8gb.

Cheers

BoBo

BoBoDaClown, Apr 5, 2009
  4. Shad0wguy

solpuerto

Hi ShadOguy

Interesting I note Tesco sell one where they clearly state it is 8GB SSD + 8GB SD (not even an SDHC) but look at this advert where it "clearly" states 16GB SSD.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151811

Buyer beware and very interesting!!!!!

solpuerto, Apr 5, 2009
  5. Shad0wguy

BoBoDaClown

So to clarify:

Do all 16gb models consist of two 8gb disks? If so I am happy with mine - otherwise I'm going to ask for an exchange.

Any info would be appreciated :)

BoBo

BoBoDaClown, Apr 6, 2009
  6. Shad0wguy

solpuerto

Hi BoBoDaClown

The one I quote from Tesco's would appear to have an 8GB SSD (Solid State Disk Drive) and an SD card (Secure Digital). Now to me the SSD is a disk drive and the SD is a card and not a disk. An SSD and an SD card are 2 entirely different things.
    Have you checked the LH slot of your Aspire and does it contain a card?
    The other from e-buyer clearly states a 16GB SSD and again repeats in the Overview 16 GB NAND Flash. Therefore if I bought this one and it had an 8GB SSD and an 8GB SD card I would return it and report the sellar under the Trade Descriptions Act.

A PC with a 16GB SSD should cost a lot more than one with an 8GB SSD and an 8GB SD card. I doubt if any Aspire One has 2- 8GB SSD's.

solpuerto, Apr 6, 2009
  7. Shad0wguy

BoBoDaClown

Thanks for the info Sol. I appreciate it :)

Some investigating to be done.

Cheers

BoBoDaClown, Apr 7, 2009
  8. Shad0wguy

flashyphotos

With regard to the Tesco sold units,

I really don't think Tesco know what they are selling,

Myselfg and a friend both bought the £199 One 16Gb XP from Tesco yesterday. (One of the direct stores a bit like argos where you fill in a form and they bring it from out the back).

Anyway we ordered paid and got our boxes, when we got home we found

1: Had a 2200mah battery 16Gb SSD and a 3G Sim Module fitted

2: Had a 2600mah Battery a 8Gb SSD and a 8Gb SD Card in the left hand slot and no 3G Sim module fitted

Both were in identical boxes with identical model numbers.

As you can imagine my friend who got the one with the 8+8 and no 3G is a little miffed, but when he went back today, they just said well thats the advertised spec.

flashyphotos, Apr 15, 2009
Ask a Question