1G =>1.5G RAM - have you upgraded, any difference?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by kollin, Jan 12, 2009.

1. kollin

kollin

Hi, initial Forums searching hasn't helped, if you know of earlier postings please direct me there.

I recently puchased the Aspire One 8.9-inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, XP Home, 6 Cell Battery).

I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually upgraded to 1.5 and if there is noticeable difference?

Currently using the netbook for web surfing, Netflix video streaming, IrfanView jpg viewing of 10M size photography pictures. At one point, my system froze using IrfanView requiring a reboot - I was doing batch picture rotations (but I don't do or plan to do other more resource intense photo editing).

Any opinion / advice appreciated,

Best,
    Kollin

kollin, Jan 12, 2009
  2. kollin

SticMAN

Yes I did!
    I did it to Run Mac Leopard 10.5.6, It makes a great difference, I also ran XP on it for a day and even that ran faster!

SticMAC

SticMAN, Jan 15, 2009
  3. kollin

djamorpheus

im also quite interested, anyone else upgrade?

djamorpheus, Jan 15, 2009
  4. kollin

jackluo923

It only makes a difference if you use memory intensive application such as photoshop, adobe after effects.. etc.
    With Adobe After effects, 1GB to 1.5GB makes a lot of difference, but on internet explorer, 1GB to 1.5GB won't make a difference at all except wasting your battery life.

jackluo923, Jan 15, 2009
  5. kollin

lohtse

EEeer battery life hmmm mines the same as was before I upgraded and same as my partners and daughters who only have 1 gig........

Have said that the rest of the comment I agree with.... will only benifit if you use memory hungry apps..... But still it's worth doing...

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Jan 15, 2009
  6. kollin

naeemsta

i say i heard CS4 is perfect and flawlessly working on 1.5GB ram :D without Any lag!!
    :D also you can run some HD vids at More Ease ! :D

naeemsta, Jan 16, 2009
  7. kollin

srvaao

I agree with what has been said. With browsing, I don't notice much. Photoshop Elements seems better. If you're in there, really consider a Dell wireless N card because that is definitely better and faster (I used an Airport Extreme card).

FYI, most videos I saw must have had SSD drives. To get to the RAM in a HD model, you have to remove the card with the right side ports to be able to access the RAM on the underside of the motherboard.

srvaao, Jan 17, 2009
Ask a Question