32g ssd on its way

Discussion in 'Storage' started by kghunt, Jun 12, 2009.

1. kghunt

frogo

Thanks

Ordering it now :D

frogo, Sep 29, 2009
  2. kghunt

BillPosters

You will not regret it! I just installed the Super Talent 32GB disc and also upgraded the RAM to 1.5GB at the same time. It is sooooooooooo much faster now! It's a different machine, a pleasure to use. Well worth the nearly £100 it cost me.

And yes you can use the same cable. The ferrite is stuck to the old disc but just comes off with careful pulling.

BillPosters, Sep 30, 2009
  3. kghunt

kghunt

Re: 32g ssd on its way - Here

My supertalent just dropped in also. Although I had to glue my rubber feet back on as this is the second time I have opened it. I am getting 62mb/s under ubuntu. I think windows xp feels faster though I may switch back. How does 7 run on the aa1?

kghunt, Oct 3, 2009
  4. kghunt

FernandoBatista

Does anyone know where to get this SSDs in Europe? There was a guy selling them on ebay but they increased the price from +-90€ to +-190€ overnight.

Thanks.

FernandoBatista, Nov 10, 2009
  5. kghunt

samuel

I live in Finland.
    memoryc.com was where I got mine about 2 months ago - they had 8 in stock just now!!

samuel, Nov 10, 2009
  6. kghunt

FernandoBatista

Thanks a lot Samuel. I order one from them, and a memory too while at it :)

FernandoBatista, Nov 11, 2009
  7. kghunt

FernandoBatista

Anyone had problems with this SSDs? I installed mine last night but it's not working correctly, I installed Ubuntu a first time and it was incredibly slow, hang at every mouse click, I though that it must been a problem in the installation so I did it again, now it doesn't even boot at all.

Any thoughts?

FernandoBatista, Nov 13, 2009
  8. kghunt

Ausweider

New Ubuntu 9.10?

run dmesg on a terminal

Can you see similarities?

But yeh, with super talent disk I get the same thing. but old 9.04 jaunty runs just fine.

Ausweider, Nov 13, 2009
  9. kghunt

FernandoBatista

Thanks for the reply, but I already took it off the AAO so I can't try that.
    I placed an RMA at memoryc this morning, after talking to them they told me to sent it back for replacement. I'm sending it back monday.

But it is indeed a new 9.10, is it suppose to have problems with this SSD? Does it have a fix? It would save me time and money if there was a fix.

FernandoBatista, Nov 13, 2009
  10. kghunt

El Matarife

Windows 7 Professional runs extremely well on the SuperTalent SSD. As smooth as on a desktop IMO. Boots up in 45 seconds. Typical shutdown in 15 seconds (providing no autoupdates or changes to the system configuration are being made). Office 2007 runs equally as well - not tried working with any large spreadsheets yet though.

El Matarife, Nov 16, 2009
  11. kghunt

sherbert152

Just bought a Kingspec 1.8" 64GB ZIF SSD for my Aspire A110 to replace the rather slow ZIF HDD previously fitted and can confirm that it works very well. I was trying Windows 7 on one of the partitions in place of XP previously but, whilst it works better than vista would have done, it's still too much for the AA1 hardware. So the AA1 is now running linpus (installed from scratch, the Macrium reflect copy that was referred to in my previous multiboot post last year was very very strange in the partition details - seemed to double up on the partition), Windows XP, Ubuntu 9.10 (desktop, not UNR, like having a proper desktop background), and, just for a try, Moblin which I have to say I rather like. Early days yet but everything works (well, not the cups printing yet, but I can see the Windows network shares so we're getting there). I got a Kingspec direct replacement 1.8" IDE 64GB SSD for my Thinkpad X41 several months ago so I knew they were OK speedwise. Both machines are quieter and faster and much more robust in consequence.

sherbert152, Nov 27, 2009
  12. kghunt

FernandoBatista

Just to update that MemoryC exchanged the supertalent, the 2nd works great with ubuntu or windows XP.
    Great service from them too, from the day I sent the SSD to when I receive the new one it took less than a week and they always kept me up to date, so I'm very happy with their service.

FernandoBatista, Dec 9, 2009
  13. kghunt

samuel

FB

Sorry not to have kept up to date but have been busy.

Glad you took my advice and, yes, the customer service from memoryc seem very good.

It goes much better with that drive!!!

samuel, Dec 29, 2009
Ask a Question