32gb direct swap upgrade

Discussion in 'Storage' started by kghunt, Oct 12, 2008.

1. kghunt

KjeldOlesen

Hi

Well, it appears that there is no Linux version of ATTO, but you could always try it under Wine?

Whatever you do, if you can, try to get something that will measure random I/O write, as that sequential stuff is rather meaningless it appears.

KjeldOlesen, Nov 7, 2008
  2. kghunt

donec

I'm not sure but I bet if you make a backup of your 8Gb SSD with Rbil's script you would be able to restore it as long as the new 32Gb SSD had the same designation.

donec, Nov 7, 2008
  3. kghunt

torpor

donec: good to know, and i will look for the script .. but actually one of the reasons i need a bigger storage solution in my ONE is that i want to bail on Linpus (which is crap in my opinion) and use something else, such as xubuntu or maybe just plain ol' ubuntu, with the ICC kernel, perhaps?

gonna do all this work tonight, so i'll let you guys know how it goes. i'm hoping this will be the last time i have to open my ONE up and do something!

torpor, Nov 8, 2008
  4. kghunt

donec

Here is a link to Rbil's blog about the backup script.
    http://aaobackup.blogspot.com/2008/10/purchase-just-software-2000-cad.html
    I would recommend trying Mandriva 2009 Gnome. It is the easiest to setup and requires the least fiddling with to get things working and I have done several system updates and none of them have broken anything unlike Ubuntu. For me the only thing I have not gotten to work is the suspend. Others say it works but I have a different setup that may cause problems as I have home on a separate SDHC card.The only mods I have made are to put home on the 16Gb SDHC card and add the following lines to my /etc/modprobe.conf file.
    And add the following lines to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.
    That is all I had to do of course I use a personal profile for Firefox and Thunderbird so I also just copied and pasted my profiles with extensions to my user folder and ran the profile manager for both to get my extensions to working (Internet video and such)

donec, Nov 8, 2008
  5. kghunt

kghunt

so did the drive work or not lol...

kghunt, Nov 9, 2008
  6. kghunt

torpor

Yes, it works great .. can't say its very fast though.. just got finished putting ubuntu on it, will do a bit more of an install and report back with details. very nice to have 32 gigs of playing room now!

torpor, Nov 9, 2008
  7. kghunt

kghunt

I suppose a good benchmark would be windows as it stalls alot on the stock ssd.

kghunt, Nov 10, 2008
  8. kghunt

torpor

Code:
    a@spire1:~$ hdparm -t -T /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
     Timing cached reads:     918 MB in 2.00 seconds = 458.96 MB/sec
     Timing buffered disk reads:   98 MB in 3.03 seconds = 32.39 MB/sec

.. so, there you go, its not exactly the best performer on the block, but not bad in the end, certainly good enough for my needs .. and it was pretty easy to install. No cutting of anything required - just unscrew the old, chuck in the new.

If only I could get the RAM/Video timing issues sorted. I have found that if I run memtest for a while, then boot into Ubuntu, then 'sudo reboot', the problem fixes itself .. dirty rotten BIOS, I imagine, is not getting the RAM timing right on first-boot, so the video display goes weird, and this only fixes once a little operational settling occurs and reboot is done again .. grr ..

torpor, Nov 10, 2008
  9. kghunt

imarune

32 MB/S :shock:

My genuine Samsung SSD reaches 36 MB/s (and my raid0 with 2 SDHC cards 42 MB/s reading and 21 MB/s writing)

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2711

Can you give us the results of the following commands :

# time sync; time dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/foo bs=1M count=1000; time sync

# echo 3 >/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    # time cat /root/foo >/dev/null

( and after rm /root/foo, of course ;) )

Sounds like an issue with your additional RAM stick ?

imarune, Nov 11, 2008
  10. kghunt

torpor

Well I can't say its impressive performance, but I am glad that it works at all and that I have 32gigs of space to play with .. maybe there are cheaper ways to get the same amount of space with better peformance, I don't know, but now we at least know whats up with this drop-in SSD replacement ..

Here you go - EDIT: fixed report, was originally run as a non-privileged user...

Code:
    root@spire1:~# time sync ; time dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/foo bs=1M count=1000;time sync

real	0m0.027s
    user	0m0.008s
    sys	0m0.004s
    1000+0 records in
    1000+0 records out
    1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 128.558 s, 8.2 MB/s

real	2m8.573s
    user	0m0.020s
    sys	0m11.817s

real	0m44.912s
    user	0m0.000s
    sys	0m0.204s
    root@spire1:~#  echo 3>/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

root@spire1:~# time cat /root/foo > /dev/null

real	0m7.891s
    user	0m0.232s
    sys	0m2.212s

Sounds like an issue with your additional RAM stick ?[/quote:1p2izumm]

Well, actually I think its more of an issue with the Aspire1 BIOS, in that it doesn't seem to appropriately set RAM timing settings on bootup and this interferes with enumeration of the video controller .. but once Linux gets settled and some time/frequency changing happens, things seem to settle down and subsequent reboots - warm, that is, still-powered reboots - seem to be successful - the text-mode of the display is expanded to the full screen width and height (indicating the video controller is doing scaling for the mode selected), and the full resolution is available to X once it starts .. I think its just a BIOS hiccup in not allowing DDR2 modules with scaleable timing frequencies to do their thing at boot, and so Linux does it, and then the BIOS is happy.

I've had this experience with all RAM modules I've tried so far - and I'm just not able to find any DDR2 sticks in my neighborhood (Vienna) that run only at 533 mhz - all available items at retail are 667mhz-rated, with 'scaling' to go to the lower frequencies if needed. The problem is the BIOS is not setting this scaling on boot time ..

torpor, Nov 11, 2008
  11. kghunt

imarune

So your SSD reaches ~6 MB/s writing ~32 MB/s reading; the second result "time cat..." is not valid, because disk cache was not really dropped (needs a "sudo" for "echo 3 >/proc/...") Not an upgrade for me, as i don't look for capacity, but for speed...

What are the symptoms on your One ? Perhaps related to your display connector?
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3266

(and particulary the cable coming upon the small capacitor near the connector)

imarune, Nov 11, 2008
  12. kghunt

torpor

Yeah, I saw that I'd fubar'ed the cmd by not running it as root, so I edit'ed it - go back and check the details. Like I said, not exactly the best performance in the world, but I'm not done tweaking this system yet .. still want to get the ICC-compiled kernel onboard, and maybe do a few more tweaks.

The symptoms apropos my video issue is that sometimes on bootup the display shows the text BIOS message sort of 'cramped' into the upper-left part of the display, repeating the top 4 or 5 rows of text on the bottom of the screen - so the text isn't expanded to 'fill' the display.. and its like the LCD controller only determines that it can do 800x600 (or it may be 640x480) resolution instead of the full 1024x600 .. but if I let the machine run for a minute or two in Ubuntu, then 'sudo reboot', the next time the BIOS POST message is displayed its all expanded to fill the display as per usual, and things work fine from that point on - I get full display resolution, etc.

I'm fairly convinced that its a RAM timing/video controller enumeration race condition thats occurring - the video controller is enumerating its capabilities with the LCD controller, which hasn't powered up properly for some reason - perhaps because of RAM timing in the BIOS POST. I'm a little hesitant to state this is the final reason, and I'm also a little hesitant to open up the machine and check the cable again .. getting a bit sick of opening my AAO!! :)

But I guess, if this is a known problem that has been reported before, and there is a capacitor short possibility with the Video cable (man thats a crap cable) then I'll have to dig in and have another look ..

torpor, Nov 11, 2008
  13. kghunt

imarune

I experimented exactly the same issue after a ram upgrade. I unplugged and plugged the connector and managed to move the cable 1 or 2 mm above the capacitor; i have now permanently a 1024x600 resolution (not an electrical short, in my sense; rather electrical interferences)

imarune, Nov 11, 2008
  14. kghunt

Pking79

So i guess this is also gonna be useless if you want to run XP on it?... oh and i have the even crappier intel SSD in mine.. :(

Thanks for all update and info though.. :)

Pking79, Nov 14, 2008
  15. kghunt

torpor

I'm not entirely sure I've reached the final conclusion on this upgrade .. I'm still running a generic Ubuntu kernel on my AAO right now - its a fresh install of Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10), but I want to try to get the AAO-specific kernel on there and re-do my tests. I have a feeling I've got a few config items to tweak that might speed things up a little bit .. if there is any major change I'll post back with details.

Surely, it would be nice if someone discovered something else to put in the AAO in terms of storage space that was as easy to upgrade as this 32-gig Module was .. but at least now we know how this one performs, anyway ..

torpor, Nov 14, 2008
  16. kghunt

kghunt

are you going to try windows? Just so you can check its perfromance and if it stalls or not? If you do remember to use fat 32.

kghunt, Nov 15, 2008
  17. kghunt

2manydjs

I don't expect any differences in performance when using a customized kernel (compiled by icc or gcc). Just make sure you have all the SSD optimized settings applied. They are mentioned in most AAO guides (Ubuntu, Arch, Debian, etc).

GL!

2manydjs, Nov 15, 2008
  18. kghunt

KjeldOlesen

It appears that next week at http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/ is devoted to SSD testing, so for those interested you'd better check every day next week. I for one, expect that we'll see this 32 GB SSD tested under Windows XP on the AA1.

Edit November 19th: MydigitalSSD has made PCIe SSD's for the EEE's that has 55/75 MB/s write/read speed, so it may be a good idea to wait for a ZIF version of those!
    http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/Catego ... PCI-e+SSDs
    http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/11/r ... -high.html

KjeldOlesen, Nov 15, 2008
  19. kghunt

kghunt

I just spoke to MDD and asked if there is a version of these ssd's coming out for the one. He said he thinks so not 100% check back with him in a week! 16gb fast storage for £40 woohoo

kghunt, Nov 21, 2008
  20. kghunt

pon10

Yes Please!! Thank u!

we should really make a tread with all the SSD and HD which is compatible and tested with AAO or is there??

I really want to change SSD with a much faster SSD or HD AT THIS POINT IT DO NOT MATTER because i cannot live with how it works now its so crap i cant believe it off course it was made to run the linpus and but it was not fast enough for me to customize it for my daily use.. because it was my first linux experience so on with XP and what do u get a netbook which is lagging bad wtf.. and i really like the design and keyboard and i just want it to wooork damnit!

sorry went a little of topic!

pon10, Nov 30, 2008
Ask a Question