3D on Intrepid Ibex

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Hans, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Hans

Hans

So, basically, 3D is broken for Intel graphics chips on Intrepid Ibex. Does any one have a sense of how the ubuntu developers feel about this? I know they are aware of the problem, but I can't tell if they are interested in fixing it.

They should be: Dell is advertising the Mini-9 in newspapers (read: mainstream media) with Ubuntu Linux. I think that Ubuntu is specifically targeting netbooks, because its a market that Microsoft really can't compete in. Everything working on vanilla netbooks seems pretty important, all things considered.

I suppose they could always revert to an older version of X.

Hans

Hans, Oct 27, 2008
  2. Hans

Kannibaal

I'm not sure what is broken?

I've followed the following instructions:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L

This is the part I've used.

After this compiz is working great.

The 3D screensavers are also working great.

It could be that my definition of great is different then yours though :idea:

Kannibaal, Oct 28, 2008
  3. Hans

Hans

This is the part that is broken in Intrepid:

<snip>
    Also add this to your /etc/profile:

export INTEL_BATCH=1
    </snip>

I don't know how much impact the xorg.conf changes really make in my applications. The environment variable is crucial though.

3D performance in Hardy is double that in Intrepid: This prevents me from going to Intrepid. On the other hand, Hardy has some issues with MAC address spoofing. As a consequence, I'm using Hardy with the backported modules to get wireless working the way I want.

Mostly, I'm just whining. I do have Hardy working well, and Intrepid will be fixed eventually. I just wonder what's going to happen when all those Mini-9 users try the distribution upgrade, and their 3D goes away. Considering Canonical's Netbook Remix efforts, I have to think this is something that would be assigned a high priority.

Hans

Hans, Oct 28, 2008
  4. Hans

lotus49

I have Compiz working fine but Google Earth doesn't work and the problem does seem to be a 3D rendering issue.

lotus49, Oct 28, 2008
  5. Hans

annafil

hey hans.. know i just replied you in another thread

but I do know they're trying to fix this. I downloaded the original intel driver without Ubuntu hacks and modifications, to see if that is any better and THAT is a real piece of work too.

they've done a good job so far at making the system stable - I can't complain. It's just slow. Probably because its a new Xorg version (and so far they're one of the first to implement it), and its a big version upgrade so there's going to be problems until things stabilize

knowing that makes me feel better a bit. guess we'll just have to wait for intrepid, or use a distribution with an older X server.

annafil, Oct 28, 2008
  6. Hans

annafil

I've found some temporary workarouns for Intrepid stable (should work for the RCs too but i presume everyone is busy updating to the latest).

This improves performance visibly (for me, on kde4.1 with compositing running), but doesn't add to fps visibly so it may not work for anyone else. Worth a shot though

I added this to my xorg.conf

Code:

Section "Device"
            Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
            Option          "ExaOptimizeMigration" "true"
    EndSection

This doesn't do anything to FPS, but my windows started load snappier and scrolling became better.

I then added this to /etc/rc.local

Code:
    export vblank_mode=0
    But you can try running this first from the command line, and then running glxgears. It added about 20 measely fps, but together with the previous option at least basic compositing for me has become useable.

Again this works for me. May not work on gnome and or with other xorg tweaks.

I would suggest trying values 1 and 2 for vblank_mode if you're not getting the same resutls as me, and see which results in the best fps. Then add to rc.local

Good luck!

annafil, Oct 30, 2008
  7. Hans

stevo

I had the same problem on another distro--the fix was to disable "Atmosphere" under the View menu. No more blue sky, but it runs quite well.

stevo, Nov 1, 2008
  8. Hans

dabheeruz

Can someone post their xorg.conf file ? I see my xorg.conf is using the VESA driver?

I just did a fresh install of ubuntu 8.10 intrepid and by default the resolution is crappy 800x600. How can I change this?

Help!!!

dabheeruz, Nov 1, 2008
  9. Hans

annafil

if you just instralled intrepid, i suggest you reinstall because it should autodetect the resolution. you shouldn't have to modify the xorg file at all, unless you already have?

on another note, anyone running Intrepid: can you try this hack? (my AAO is in the shop the very week I start finding all the cool stuff, damn :))

http://aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopi ... 571#p43292

The trick is this can't go into the rc.local apparently, it needs to be loaded before that... Perhaps in the rcS.d folder? someone who knows more might shed some light on this

annafil, Nov 9, 2008
  10. Hans

torpor

I've tried this (I put the code in /etc/rc.d/rcS, before the calls to the other rc* scripts) and it seems to have done wonders for my graphics stability, at least .. before I was getting some 'tearing' in glxgears and slow window scrolling but now it seems okay. This is on intrepid ibex (8.10) with AWN and Gnome-DO as my main window manager/interface apps .. though AWN still seems to have a few screen update bugs, alas .. perhaps these are related to python, I dunno ..

torpor, Dec 1, 2008
  11. Hans

MrNiceguy

Am I crazy in that my copy of Ubuntu 8.10 doesn't have an /etc/rc.d? It has rc0.d through rc6.d and an rcS.d, but none of them contain an rcS file.

From the various README files, it looks like the rc*.d folders contain nothing but links to scripts in /etc/init.d. There is a rcS file in that folder, but the only non-comment line is:
    Code:
    exec /etc/init.d/rc S
    I've been playing around with Ubuntu on the desktop for a couple of years, but I'm still a bit hesitant when getting under the hood like this. If I wanted to try this tweak out, where should I put the code mentioned?

MrNiceguy, Dec 2, 2008
  12. Hans

torpor

Yeah, put it in the rcS file before it calls out to the other one .. should work ..

torpor, Dec 3, 2008
  13. Hans

Hans

HI,

I though I'd post a message with a link to the progress being made on this issue.

See the bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/252094) on Launchpad.

To summarize, it appears that Jaunty is implementing the required drivers from upstream (xorg in this case) to get intel 3D working again. Some posters have gotten it to work (some with Intrepid Ibex, some with Jaunty Jackalope), with some effort, instructions are available there. Personally, I'll continue using Hardy Heron until Jaunty hits beta.

Edit: Also please see http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14235

Regards,

Hans

Hans, Dec 5, 2008
  14. Hans

toastnted

Has anyone managed to get any further with 3D support on Intrepid? I get a woeful 360fps (glxgears, 1.5GB) in Ubuntu/eeebuntu.

For the very brief time I ran Mint I got closer to 1000fps...

toastnted, Jan 6, 2009
  15. Hans

Hans

If you go see the bug and forum topic a few posts back, you can get a pretty full picture of whats going on.

To summarize: Intel (I believe) made the decision to change to GEM, before it was ready. So, these pieces all got pushed to X.org, who deprecated and ended support for the older drivers (like in Hardy). As a result, 3D in Intrepid (with a barely working version of the older driver) does not really work. The new packages have been added to Jaunty, but as of Alpha 2, do not work even as well as the older handicapped drivers in Intrepid. There seems to be alot of effort going into this, my belief is that it will all be sorted prior to the beta release of Jaunty, and afterwards be supported in Intrepid via backports.

That all said, I don't plan on buying anything with Intel graphics ever again. I'm eagerly awaiting the ION graphics platform from nVidia. I don't like the idea of a closed driver. On the other hand, I don't like the fact that Intel had a 3D driver that they basically abandoned before having the new driver ready. I can't abide by this sort of customer service (I mean indifference).

Hans

Hans, Jan 6, 2009
  16. Hans

toastnted

Thanks for the reply, Hans.

I had skim read :oops: that thread, but I was wondering if there had been any more definite developments. We'll have to see what the next release brings

toastnted, Jan 6, 2009
  17. Hans

Hans

Bryce Harrington has posted an update to this issue at (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/252094)

He has given an update including efforts upstream from ubuntu to fix 3D performance issues, and also an explanation about why I'm wrong about the fixes being backported to Intrepid (they most likely won't).

Give it a read. Please also note his comments on bug report usage, if you feel like posting a comment there.

Regards,

Hans

Hans, Jan 9, 2009
Ask a Question