3G now in Network-Manager ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Japser, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Japser

Japser

2. Japser

drewb

doesn't work for me, I still need to use the vodafone software to connect. The connection manager recognises the usb modem but wont let me edit and the connect button remains greyed out

drewb, Sep 24, 2008
  3. Japser

kaldek

And I don't see any option to add a 3G connection. My network manager says "LAN, WLAN, PPPoE, and WLAN + PPPOE".

What screen are you guys looking at????

kaldek, Sep 24, 2008
  4. Japser

ccurrah

ccurrah, Sep 24, 2008
  5. Japser

macles

I made a post with some details, but 3G is only available for Option modules/modems.

macles, Sep 24, 2008
  6. Japser

ccurrah

The ftp folder site is now not there but I downloaded the same file from the update site

http://update.linpus.com/ACER/AspireOne ... n0025v2.sh

Installed as normal rebooted and my machine is now stuffed. I get the intial Aspire one blue screen but then a black screen with a small white outline cross in the centre, nothing else.

Help.

ccurrah, Sep 24, 2008
  7. Japser

saymyname

is that for Linux?will it work on HSDPA dongel modems?

saymyname, Sep 24, 2008
  8. Japser

kaldek

Bollocks. I have 3G working already using wvdial (in particular gnome-ppp frontend to wvdial). The modem drivers for my Huawei E620 are there; all that is missing is the ability to add 3G as an option in the network connection manager and have it autoconnect.

Is the update file you refer to an update to the network device drivers or the connection manager?

kaldek, Sep 24, 2008
  9. Japser

ccurrah

Just to answer this one. I already had 3g working with the vodaphone software but thought I would download the update to connection manager. The patch described is described on the site as "A patch for Network Manger" with a file name of NM_option0025v2.sh.

However when I installed the sh file it has disabled my machine completely, see earlier posting . I am now restoring from USB and will try again within a couple of hours from a bare install, I have been tinkering a bit with this one.

Good job I am paid to do this!!

Chris.

ccurrah, Sep 24, 2008
  10. Japser

kaldek

Be aware that macles link is for the 1.0.11 version of the patch. There is a 1.0.9 version on the same website, located at http://update.linpus.com/ACER/AspireOne/v1.0.9/NM_option0025v2.sh

In other words, your Aspire One may be running the 1.0.9 version of Linpus Linux Lite, rather than the 1.0.11 version which macles seems to have. It may also be possible that all these folks who seem to now be able to add a 3G connection option in their connection manager are running 1.0.11.

kaldek, Sep 24, 2008
  11. Japser

macles

The file is the same for all versions. Only version 1.0.13 is missing the patch. It was probably for a reason that the patch was not available in your Live Update if it really broke your system. I've removed the link to it now to.

macles, Sep 24, 2008
  12. Japser

ccurrah

Thanks for that.

Just recovered from disk and downloaded the NM patch again. Did the same thing. Done something wierd to the display driver. Can't see anything on screen but shadows of icons.

Version number on recovery disk is V1.06

Going to try again with earlier version of NM patch as described in your post after restoring again. Will let you know.

Thanks again.

ccurrah, Sep 24, 2008
  13. Japser

ccurrah

Sorry but this is driving me nuts.

I have version 1.0.6 recovery disk. I have restored now twice and then installed the NM patch directly from the update site.

Done the same both times, disabled my system. I looks like it has done something to the display driver so I can't see what is going on.

Can someone who has installed this patch and then got the 3g option in connection manager let me know what version of Linpus they are using?

Any other ideas feel free

Thanks.
    Chris.

ccurrah, Sep 24, 2008
Ask a Question