532h powers down when touching side

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by sadievan, Jan 1, 2011.

1. sadievan

sadievan

I have an Acer 532h netbook. When I touch the side with slight pressure (as if I was going to move it over) sometimes it powers down immediately. I have to close the lid and the press the power button to start again. I get the screen that Windows was not shut down properly and do I want to start in safe mode, normally, etc. It is running Win 7 starter.

Any ideas. I got it from Costco and am still within the return time. Though they do not have any more of this model.

Thanks,
    Carol

sadievan, Jan 1, 2011
  2. sadievan

Swarvey Moderator

Personally I'd be returning it, or at least getting Acer to repair it under warranty.

Swarvey, Jan 1, 2011
  3. sadievan

sadievan

I'm thinking I should return it too. Will see what brands Costco gets in. They are all sold out of netbooks right now. Am thinking of getting an HP. I haven't had much luck with Acer. I had 2 of the aod255 models that kept freezing up on me. Then I had 2 532h that the touchpad didn't work. Now this 532h that is shutting down when touched on the side.

It's a shame because I liked the Acer.

Carol

sadievan, Jan 1, 2011
  4. sadievan

Swarvey Moderator

Personally I hate Acer with a vengeance, especially after what they did to me a few years ago. And given the reports on this forum, they haven't changed a bit.

Having said that though, I've been more than happy with an old 150 I used to own, and the D250 I bought to replace it, which I'm still using now. Its more of a case of Acer giving us the tools, but us learning to use (or cope? lol) with them. The 532 and 751 series seem to be predominant in the forums with the problems they have though, so I'd personally steer clear of the problem.

If your only problem is the system shutting down from moving it, I'd be more inclined to contact Acer to get them to repair it for you under warranty than return it. Especially if returning it means the suffering through the inevitable bugs that an HP machine will bring. If you do go the Acer-warranty route, keep copies of everything, demand all work reports and demand that those reports be filled out properly. Keep eveything from Acer and make copies of everything. You want something to fall-back on in case they try to do the dodgy on ya.

HP nearlly has a worse rep than Acer these days. If you really want to return it, look for one of the newer, cheaper Toshiba notebooks. You probably won't have much luck finding a Netbook, but they have some very nice, small notebooks out there at the moment.

Swarvey, Jan 1, 2011
  5. sadievan

sadievan

Do you know, when you send it back to Acer for repair, do they actually repair your computer or just send you a new refurbished one.

Carol

sadievan, Jan 2, 2011
  6. sadievan

Swarvey Moderator

Most warranty jobs I've seen here in Australia, 9 times out of 10, an Acer Approved technician will actually repair it

Swarvey, Jan 3, 2011
  7. sadievan

sadievan

A call to Costco Concierge Service helped fix the problem. I guess the battery was not locked it correctly. I removed it and replaced it making sure to slide the lock in the correct position. It was not completely locked before. Seems to have 'fixed' the problem. Guess the problem was between the computer and chair. :lol:

sadievan, Jan 3, 2011
Ask a Question