721-3070 ramdom freeze-up

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by cfstrout, Dec 4, 2010.

1. cfstrout

cfstrout

My 721 will slow way down and freeze randomly. Sometimes so bad that I cannot bring shutdown up to click on it. I then have to hold the power button down to get it to shutdown. OS is Windows 7 home premium x64. Could the Chrome browser I am using have anything to do with this, Anybody having similar problem?

cfstrout, Dec 4, 2010
  2. cfstrout

Swarvey Moderator

I'd try running a full virus scan as well as double-checking that your CPU fan is running. Or if you want to see if it's the chrome browser, try using firefox of IE instead to see if the same symptoms persist.

Swarvey, Dec 4, 2010
  3. cfstrout

cfstrout

Thanks Swarvey! Ran Spyware Doctor and found no problems. Fan is working OK. Still want to blame it on Chrome, but love that browser because it's so fast. Sometimes when using it I get an error message that it did not shut down correctly abd that's when everything goes south. Usually have to force shutdown. Need to find out if any other Acer Aspire One users with the AMD proc are having any problems with Chrome. Guess I'll just have to use IE. Maybe I'll give Firefox a try.

cfstrout, Dec 8, 2010
  4. cfstrout

bluevolume

I have the same machine dude, and I'm all Chrome. I have never had that problem - this machine has honestly never crashed on me even once. I have had Chrome crash and need to re-start (especially daily builds of Chromium), but its never taken the whole machine down.

What other software have you installed? Have you tried a full restore to OEM configuration? Might be a good thing to try.

bluevolume, Dec 8, 2010
  5. cfstrout

cfstrout

I ran de-crapifier and removed some stuff I didn't want. Removed the OEM virus program and installed Spyware Doctor, Malwarebytes' A.M., windirstat, ccleaner, and that's about it. Maybe it's the version of chrome or a chrome setting. I have no problems when using IE. A full OEM restore would probably work, but I hate to go through all the trouble. Thanks for the post. Now I know it's not the machine!!

cfstrout, Dec 10, 2010
  6. cfstrout

cfstrout

Thanks for the help. I found out what was wrong. Uninstalled Spyware Doctor. Installed Panda Cloud Antivirus. All is fine now.

cfstrout, Feb 27, 2011
Ask a Question