751 Owners! Give us a short review?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by fbx, Jun 25, 2009.

1. fbx

fbx

Be terrific if all the 751 owners out there could give us the 140 word review of their purchase!

fbx, Jun 25, 2009
  2. fbx

fbx

OK, thanks.

fbx, Jun 27, 2009
  3. fbx

TrackSmart

Here's my take on this netbook. Hopefully others will find it useful.

Pros:
    - High resolution, 11.6” display
    - Beautiful screen with great horizontal viewing angles
    - Full-size keyboard
    - Lightweight (2.7 lbs with three cell battery)
    - Only slightly larger footprint than most 6-cell netbooks
    - Very thin (1” or less)
    - Very sharp looking
    - Reasonably solid in terms of build quality

Cons:
    - Will not smoothly play flash videos from YouTube and Hulu at full-screen (remember, the display has twice as many pixels as a typical netbook)
    - Streaming flash video stutters during action sequences, even when run in a window, but plays just okay for less intense videos.
    - Slower 1.33 GHz processor (barely noticeable difference in my usage compared to MSI Wind)
    - three cell battery only gives 3 hrs of runtime (the 6-cell would fix this, but would stick out of the rear of the case)
    - touchpad rocker button is harder to push than it should be
    - touchpad surface has some drag (so turn the pointer speed up to the max)
    - keyboard keys are very flat (I got used to this and grew to love the keyboard).
    - arrow keys are tiny, despite full-size keyboard
    - You need to press the function key to use the Home and End keys, which serve double-duty as the page up and down keys.
    - ships with lots of bloatware and trial software pre-installed
    - Graphics chipset is not Linux friendly. Don’t expect full graphics acceleration in Linux anytime soon.

Overall: It's the first 11.6" netbook available in the U.S. and the *form-factor* is a winner and the price is right (starting at $350). However, you'll have to live with a few quirks and realize that the atom processor can’t handle video on the high resolution (1366x768) display, unless it is in very specific video formats. For me, the benefits of the larger screen and keyboard outweigh the downsides. I can never go back to a 10" netbook again. I can do real work on this thing thanks the large, high resolution screen and full-size keyboard. This is, sadly, a poor multimedia machine, so stay away if that is what your main computing is for.

TrackSmart, Jun 28, 2009
  4. fbx

jdh1947

Amen. Very concise, accurate summary.

jdh1947, Jun 28, 2009
Ask a Question