751h keyboard and touchpad stopped working

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Tiv, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Tiv

Tiv

My 751 has actually worked well since we got it until the battery run down the computer tried to shut down in hibernate mode. We attached the power supply but when we re-started the netbook, the keyboard and touchpad would not work.

I tried pressing F2 on startup to go into the bios and it worked. The keyboard worked correctly in the bios mode but never in windows. Based on this I was certain the hardware was fine and it had to be something to do with the set-up of the computer.

When an external keyboard and mouse were added they worked correctly.

I contacted Acer support but their only suggestion was to send it to them for testing with a starting price of £55.

Instead I tried re-loading the operating system but this did not help.

I installed the latest bios but this did not help either.

I tried discharging the battery as recommended in some of the forums but this did not help.

In the end I tired this...
    1 - remove the power supply
    2 - remove the battery
    3 - press the power button for 10 seconds (or more) to discharge the computer
    4 - remove the RAM chip - I had this removed for about a minute
    5 - put the RAM back in and then plug the battery back in
    6 - with the power supply connected, re-start the computer (I had the external keyboard and mouse plugged in at this time)

Once I had done this the keyboard and touchpad worked again correctly.

Reading a lot of forums it appears that Acer laptops and netbooks really don't like to have their batter run down complete, and especially if the computer tries to shut down in hibernation mode. This appears to be a design problem and because of this I am unlikely to buy anymore Acer computers.

I hope this information helps you to avoid wasting lots of money with Acer

Tiv, Mar 18, 2012
Ask a Question