7800mAh battery from Dealextreme not working

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by SmellyTofu, Jun 16, 2009.

1. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu

I just recieved this new white 7800mAh battery from DX today and connected it up to my AOA-150-Bw. The charge light goes on and the windows indicator shows 46% charge. That was 3 hrs ago. And when I try to use the battery power by disconnecting the AC plug, the computer switches off. Basically the battery is useless.

What is curious is that windows does recognise the battery and the makers etc.. SIMPLO and the battery name UM08B74 which is 11.1V and the original is UM08A31 at 10.8V. Now does that have anything to do with it?? or something is wrong with the battery?

SmellyTofu, Jun 16, 2009
  2. SmellyTofu

ronime

11.1V vs 10.8v is not usually an issue. Some of the newer/better Sanyo and Panasonic Lithium cells have a nominal voltage of 3.6v coupled with a lower cutoff voltage than the normal 3.7v cells. The 3.6v cells carry a price premium and tend to turn up only in more expensive OEM batteries.

Sounds very much to me like the battery that you got from DX is faulty. If it was me I would contact DX and request an RMA.

ronime, Jun 16, 2009
  3. SmellyTofu

mindy777

Hi,
    I've got problem with the same battery from DealExtreme. My problem is that battery stop charging after month of usage. I fully discharged it and after that it stop charging. In fact it kind of charges - 0,1 % percent of charge per couple of hours, so I have 3,1 % of full charge so far -will see how it goes.
    After searching forums - some people who's been experiencing problems with batteries on AAO advise to update BIOS. It helped in some cases (it didn't in my case though). I can try it,who knows
    I've reported fault to DealExtreme - no reply so far. If you'll hear something from them - please let me know
    Regards

mindy777, Jun 17, 2009
  4. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu

I've yet to receive a response from DX at the moment. One can only hope they come up with some sort of response.

SmellyTofu, Jun 18, 2009
  5. SmellyTofu

acer559

Hi everyone, I have the same problem with my 9 cell battery( i bought it from ebay, last week.) I might have found the problem. I have a perfectly working acer aspire 150 white, 3 cell battery, bios v. 3309. Heres the symptom: When I put the 9 cell ebay battery in, the battery icon does not show, the amber light stays on the whole time when the ac is plug in, but if i double click the chord icon it will show that the battery(simplo) is at 52%, it will not charge, but I have to keep the ac adapter on because it will automaticly turn off if I unplug it. Its been at 52% the whole day. Anyways,I tried everything to get the battery working. I tried taking the battery off and unplugging it and hold the power button down for 1-2 minutes then restart-did not fix the issue. I read somewhere that acer released bios v.3309 to combat the battery problem. but since i have bios v.3309 that was not the problem. But, since i was so determine to fix the problem I downgraded my acer to v.3114 and then upgrading it again to v.3309-still did not fix the the issue.

Now the possible problem. I downloaded battery-mon @ http://www.passmark.com/products/batmon.htm. 1.2mb in size. unzipp it and ran the program it is a 30 day free trial.
    Anyways with this program I think i found the answer. You see when I ran my original acer 3 cell battery(still in working condition) on battery mon it states that my voltage is at 12.35v. The ebay 9 cell I bought advertise the voltage at 11.1v but when i ran the test on battery-mon it says 8.42v. That is a huge difference! and possible the culprit to why the battery does not work. I am going to contact the ebay seller of the 9-cell battery tomorrow and ask for a full refund or they better get me a battery that is at 11.1v otherwise a battery that does not have the cranking juice of the required voltage will not work on the acer. I urge you if you have a similar problem with the 9 or 6 cell battery please check to see if it has the right voltage. other wise it will not work. use my link to battry mon or use other program to figure out voltage of your e-bay battery. I will do a follow up once i get my new battery. good luck every one...

acer559, Jun 27, 2009
  6. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu

Well, the progress of this is that I have returned the battery and they will send another to replace the faulty one.

Subsequently I have bought an ebay one (the A type, not the B type that DX sold.... not sure if it mattered or not) and it has charged up good however it did almost repeated the same problem as the DX battery. But what I did do differntly this time was play around with the power settings changing it to not shutting down anything in battery mode and back to my original settings. This seemed to make the battery percentage increase. Best of all the battery does allow work. So happy endings from Ebay but we'll see what DX comes with.

SmellyTofu, Jul 1, 2009
  7. SmellyTofu

nickp34

I am using the DealExtreme battery and havent had any problems.

nickp34, Jul 7, 2009
  8. SmellyTofu

fullz

I having same symptoms here: battery from dealextreme powers my AAO down right after power cord is disconnected. When power cord is connected, it's saying that battery is 33% charged, but will power down immediately after removing power cord. It's been like this from the start, received battery from DX less than week ago.

Tried so far: BIOS upgraded to 3310, power button two-minute-trick.

I'm newbie to linux; is there any programs which would report battery status better than (updated) kpowersave?

fullz, Jul 19, 2009
  9. SmellyTofu

nickp34

I am using Bios 3309. Here are some screenshots of the battery info given by the program 'Notebook Battery Info'.

nickp34, Jul 21, 2009
  10. SmellyTofu

fullz

Here's what acpitool reports for my DX battery (power cord connected). Any suggestions?

Remaining capacity : 2104 mAh, 32.94%
    Design capacity : 7200 mAh
    Last full capacity : 6387 mAh, 88.71% of design capacity
    Capacity loss : 11.29%
    Present rate : 0 mA
    Charging state : charging
    Battery type : rechargeable, LION
    Model number : UM08A71
    Serial number : 1444

fullz, Jul 21, 2009
  11. SmellyTofu

nickp34

nickp34, Jul 21, 2009
  12. SmellyTofu

fullz

No, I have black 7200 mAh one from DX. Still not working, tried both 3309 and 3310 bios.

fullz, Jul 29, 2009
  13. SmellyTofu

acer559

Hi all, I posted here earlier. I just got another battery and ran the baterery-mon program. The battery's voltage now says 11v and it works perfectly. My old battery read at 8.42v thus the reason why it doesn't work.

acer559, Aug 2, 2009
  14. SmellyTofu

acer559

Hi all, I posted here earlier. I just got another battery and ran the baterery-mon program. The battery's voltage now says 11v and it works perfectly. My old battery read at 8.42v thus the reason why it doesn't work.

acer559, Aug 2, 2009
  15. SmellyTofu

wigsey

I have this battery. It worked fine for three months and now I only get two hours battery life.

Has anyone managed to return theirs to DX ?

wigsey, Sep 8, 2009
  16. SmellyTofu

Yuravi

I have the same battery as you. I bought that battery from dealextreme and it turned out to be a 6600 mAh battery marked up to 7800 mAh. :evil: What a rip off. :x

I advise people to stay away from that product!

Yuravi, Feb 11, 2010
  17. SmellyTofu

CZroe

How can I get this same information in Windows?

CZroe, Feb 25, 2010
Ask a Question