8.04 -> 8.10 Update REALLY SLOW (SSD)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bob535, Oct 21, 2008.

1. bob535

bob535

I am updating from 8.04 to 8.10 using the update-manager -d method. It downloaded all the files, etc. fairly quickly and is now installing. Has been for about an hour and still says between 10-12 hours left...

Anyone else got the same problem? Any ideas?

bob535, Oct 21, 2008
  2. bob535

rolfijn

Hi,

I have no experience with the update on the Aspire One, but have done a couple of updates of Ubuntu updates to a new version on other systems. I have always felt that this took far longer than a regular update, which i account to the fact that a lot of checks have to be done (dependencies). Considering the fact that a normal install takes more than an hour, i would not be surprised if the update indeed takes so long. Perhaps others, who have updated to Ibex, can share their experience...

Rolfijn

rolfijn, Oct 23, 2008
  3. bob535

scottro

This is due to the very very slow write speed of the SSD. I tried it and gave up (and wound up returning the SSD version, replacing it with the HD version.)

There's really no solution. Adding RAM might help, but I suspect it won't have much effect on this issue.

If it helps, it is normal. (It doesn't usually really take 10 hours, but it will take several hours to complete.)

scottro, Oct 23, 2008
  4. bob535

the100thmonkey

I found that upgrading from 8.10 beta to 8.10 release took about three hours in total.

10-12 hours sounds excessive.

the100thmonkey, Oct 25, 2008
Ask a Question