800mhz in an AOA150?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by llcamino, Apr 24, 2010.

1. llcamino

llcamino

I am looking into upgrading the RAM in my HTPC (Asrock Ion 330) which uses DDR2 800mhz RAM. After the upgrade, I will have two 1GB sticks of this and was wondering if they could be used in my two Aspire One AOA150-1504's? IWill they just run at 533? It would be great if anyone had any info on this before I tore the netbooks apart.

Thanks in advance.

llcamino, Apr 24, 2010
  2. llcamino

Swarvey Moderator

Looking at your OP you don't mention a brand / model number for the RAM in question. However, also looking at this thread It seems other people have used 800MHz RAM in their 150. Which means it's well worth a try.

If you still want to know if your RAM will work, we'd need a brand name and part / model number to check it. Then you also need to pray that someone else has used/tested the same stuff before.

If you do go the extent of testing the RAM in question, then please make sure you let us know in the above thread so the RAM Compatibility List can be updated.

Swarvey, Apr 25, 2010
  3. llcamino

llcamino

The brand I'd be trying to use is Elixer. PC2-6400S-555-13-A2.800

There are other numbers on it as well, which I can provide if needed.

I searched the compatibility thread for this brand but found nothing. I'm assuming that means that no one has tried it. This is one last shot in the dark before I rip it apart and try.

Thanks

ps...sorry it took so long to respond....we had our second baby right around the time of my original post, so free time has been short.

llcamino, Aug 13, 2010
  4. llcamino

Swarvey Moderator

Congratulations on the baby!!!

The fastest RAM i've seen installed in that model is 667MHz, not sure if it clocked down to 533 or if it stayed at 667, but there are users that have said that it works. I'd say just try the 800MHz, it'll either work or it won't, and from memory, I don't think you have to completely reassemble the machine, if you're careful enough, you should be able to bench-test the RAM before reassembling. Just remember BE VERY CAREFUL if you wish to bench-test.

Swarvey, Aug 13, 2010
  5. llcamino

llcamino

Ok. I've got the Elixier 1GB 800mhz in the machine now and it's running. System properties show 1.46GB of RAM.

Are there some tests I should put the machine through to try to see if the RAM is 100% compatible? Or is the fact that it's running and recognized good enough?

Thanks again for the help.

llcamino, Aug 18, 2010
  6. llcamino

Amagewick

It will be downclocked to 533mhz. The fact that it is running and stable is proof it is good to go.

Amagewick, Aug 19, 2010
  7. llcamino

Swarvey Moderator

If you do want to run a test, just grab a bootable Linux distro, they usually have a memory checking facility (memtestx86) in the boot options of the media. If you don't have an external CD/DVD drive, you can create bootable USB drives that can achieve the same thing.

Swarvey, Aug 19, 2010
  8. llcamino

llcamino

I have used memtest86 recently on my wife's AOA150 so I guess I could give it a go on this one just to be sure, but it seems from what you're saying that if there were to be a problem, I would have already experienced it. So far, (2 days running) I have experienced nothing. I guess it's safe to add this to the thread of workable RAMs.

The best news for me is that I can pay to upgrade one computer, and upgrade 3 as a result!

To anyone who's worried about opening up their Aspire One, it really wasn't that bad. As a matter of fact, I've had it stripped and rebuilt 3 times in the past day and a half. I was also installing a 320GB HD, and my first attempt at cloning didn't work. Finally I'm up and running with 1.5 GB RAM and 320 GB hard drive.

Thanks for all the advice and help.

llcamino, Aug 20, 2010
Ask a Question