8GB SSD Corrupted : Can't Restore or Install Anything

Discussion in 'Storage' started by lupinehorror, Feb 5, 2009.

1. lupinehorror

lupinehorror

hello all
    i had ubuntu 8.10 on my aao but last week it froze and had to be powered off by holding the power button down.
    after that boot errors started appearing with file corruption issues all over the place.
    tried to reinstall ubuntu but the installer fails just at the partitioning stage.
    used gparted to wipe the partitions, wiped the drive using "dd" and then recreated the partitions.
    same thing happened during install.
    now the recovery dvd installer stops after about 13 minutes with something like "an error occured. this program can't continue". same thing happens with the recovery image booting from a usb stick.
    i'm at a total loss and am almost at the point of sending it back to acer (it's only 4 months old.
    it would be great if someone could give me some help or advice.

ps it runs fine from a "live" linux cd or usb drive.

lupinehorror, Feb 5, 2009
  2. lupinehorror

lupinehorror

i hate to *bump* a post but i'm still having no joy with the problem above :(
    think i'll have to send it back to acer... the thought of no music/net/photographs fills me with dread. all the backups in the world don't help when there's no hardware to view/play them on

lupinehorror, Feb 10, 2009
  3. lupinehorror

lindegur

I also messed up my SDD .
    Did you try to recover it using the acer recovery DVD?
    You can either use this DVD or a USB stick and re-install it from there.

(However I did not work on my Aspire. It might be a USB-DVD USB Stick problem that I have with it)
    Currently I downloaded linpus lite from http://www.linpus.com and burned a CD. I managed to install Linpus from this CD.
    It actually is a more open version than the acer linpus, however WLAN and the web cam and other stuff do not run on the fly.

lindegur, Feb 15, 2009
  4. lupinehorror

lupinehorror

hi...thanks for your reply.
    i'll try the linpus lite install but as the recovery dvd, usb recovery, ubuntu, mint linux and debian lenny didn't work i'm not holding my breath.
    am downloading the linpus lite iso now...not exactly at blistering speed.
    will report back here this week with results.
    cheers.

lupinehorror, Feb 17, 2009
  5. lupinehorror

lupinehorror

took me a while to try the install with the iso i downloaded from the linpus site.
    it didn't work either. it would work fine as a live cd but wouldn't install.
    i've sent the aao back to acer for repair. hopefully they'll find something wrong with the ssd otherwise i'll need to pay £68 (ex vat) if it's a software problem :( don't think it can be though...tried everything i could think of.
    bought a dell 15" widescreen laptop. going to sell the aao when i get it back.

lupinehorror, Mar 9, 2009
Ask a Question