8GBSSD: limming down?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by stabu, Oct 20, 2008.

1. stabu

stabu

For those on 8GB SSD's, is there anybody who has managed to slim down their Linpus with any success?

Unfortunately, I have been installing stuff like a madman, and I'm running out of space.

Besides, I only want to have stuff installed which I am actually going to use.

I'd say there's a number of softwares that can be got rid of (/usr/acer, for example) ... any tips from someone who has done it?

stabu, Oct 20, 2008
  2. stabu

TheNut

I mostly use my acer for development, so I've in fact installed tons of libraries, compilers, code, etc... Even with all that and a bunch of upgraded software, I still have ample space left. My suggestion is to only install what you need and forgo installing other stuff. Remove any movies and other HD hogs. Having an extra 8GB SDHC installed is really nice, and they're dirt cheap too (mine was only $29).

Nevertheless, there are two ways to clean up your system. You can use RPM to uninstall software or you can use YUM to uninstall. YUM will inevitably use RPM to remove the packages. So the first thing you want to do is get a list of all the stuff installed in your system. You do that with the command:

rpm -qa

This will output all the packages installed in your OS. Be careful, it's huge! I recommend you output the result to a text file, so execute the command "rpm -qa >list.txt" Wait for it to finish and then open the list.txt file with an editor of your choice. Go through the list and find whatever package you don't think you'll need, then uninstall it with the command:

rpm -e some_package-v1.2.3

Be careful not to remove any sensitive libraries or packages that could harm your operating system. Basically it's safe to remove things like OpenOffice or Firefox or any of the games. Look for that sort of thing.

TheNut, Oct 21, 2008
  3. stabu

kapinouwi

4. stabu

stabu

thank you both for the replies, they helped alot.

cheers!

stabu, Oct 30, 2008
Ask a Question