A few problems with Ubuntu on AAO

Discussion in 'Linux' started by c-m, Feb 7, 2009.

1. c-m

c-m

I have recently install Ubuntu UMPC (I use regular 8.10 on my deslktop) on my AAO.

I have used the regular kernel and sickboys 2.6.28 v4 kernel but I have the following problems:

1) The internal wifi works, but it will not detect my network. It can detect every other network in the street, over 10 of them, but it will not detect or connect to my router even when standing right next to it. I know there is not a problem with the card itself as it works very well in windows all over the house. I tried my USB wifi adapter in the laptop and that works fine too with near 100% signal. I imagine this can only be a driver issue then.

2) I have enabled the multiverse and restricted repositories and updated using sudo apt-get update. But my machine will not find any software when searching. Even packages like Firefox and vlc are not found when searching either via the command line or synaptic.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix these problems?

Thanks

c-m, Feb 7, 2009
  2. c-m

c-m

yep SKY01859

As i have said though every other wifi device (laptop, desktop, mobile phone) works perfectly with the router. The netbook will only detect the router via either a WIRED connection or using an EXTERNAL card, even when i am right on top of the router.

I have tired the madwifi driver and the one included in the 2.6.28 v4 kernel, neither them can detect the network.

There is obviously nothing wrong with the internal card though as in windows it can detect the network and connect. Even in linux it detects 10 other networks from houses in my street

c-m, Feb 7, 2009
  3. c-m

jay_t

I had same kind of problem with my zyxel wifi router. my problem solved by updating firmware to wifi router

jay_t, Feb 8, 2009
  4. c-m

c-m

I shouldn't need to update anything really, since the wifi in the AAO works with my router just fine in Windows

c-m, Feb 8, 2009
  5. c-m

spinnekopje

Which channel does your wifi use? I know there are a couple of channels you have to enable, but I can't remember exactly which ones. If you search this forum you should be able to find more info about it.

spinnekopje, Feb 8, 2009
  6. c-m

c-m

You on the right lines.

I just changed channel from 13 to 1 and it works.

The wifi card in the AAO with the Linux drivers can only view up to 11 channels. I have a USB stick that does the same.

Its only taken me about 3 days of searching to figure that out.

c-m, Feb 8, 2009
  7. c-m

axcairns

I would say that was an Ubuntu or Aspire one limitation, not being able to see channels used in wireless routers

axcairns, Feb 11, 2009
  8. c-m

c-m

It is a problem with the Madwifi and the Ath5k drivers. so basically a problem with support in linux, which means the card cannot see any networks above channel 11.

With the preinstalled windows driver there are no problems.

Changing the channel can sometimes be problematic if you live somewhere with a high concentration of wifi activity. Right now from my room I can see over 10 networks - fortunately there are no conflicts yet.

c-m, Feb 11, 2009
  9. c-m

spinnekopje

There is an option to enable those channels, but I don't remember exactly how it was done, but it is possible. I think it is hidden somewhere in the main topic... (Install Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) Guide).

spinnekopje, Feb 11, 2009
  10. c-m

axcairns

Real mature

Note to self - stop feeding the troll

axcairns, Feb 12, 2009
Ask a Question