A Few Problems...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by emperor886, Apr 20, 2010.

1. emperor886

emperor886

Hey guys, I recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop and set up a dual-boot with XP on my ZG5 (AOA150). Ubuntu runs perfect, but I would like to know if I can get some better drivers for the graphics; YouTube videos are choppy at best, which kind of sucks. Also, I used to have a litter power icon at the top right that I could click on and select shut down, hibernate, etc. That is gone now...I would like it back. And lastly, I have under Power Management set the laptop to suspend upon closing the lid when unplugged; this no longer happens. Up until about two days ago it worked fine, now it stays running.

Anyone have ideas?

emperor886, Apr 20, 2010
  2. emperor886

simbeb

To fix the online videos' choppy graphics, you simply need to install Adobe's flash reader plugin (and no other) and make sure that the open source flash reader installed by default on Ubuntu is disabled. Then you should be OK.

The suspend issue is possibly because you have a sd card in one or both of the slots. The solution is either to eject the sd card(s) before you suspend, or follow the instructions in the link below:

Open a terminal and type

Code:
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Find the line that says

# defoptions=quiet splash

Add

pciehp.pciehp_force=1 to the line so that it says

# defoptions=quiet splash pciehp.pciehp_force=1

Exit and save
    In the terminal, type sudo update-grub and then reboot
    Hot-plugging should work just fine

simbeb, Apr 24, 2010
  3. emperor886

emperor886

Thank you, the suspend works now (I had an SD card in). Now I've installed the Adobe Flash plugin, but how might I go about disabling the default one?

Thanks again!

emperor886, Apr 25, 2010
  4. emperor886

xyrophile

the power icon is a gnome panel applet called indicator-applet-session. install it with apt-get or synaptic and you'll be able to add it from the add to panel dialog.

xyrophile, Apr 25, 2010
  5. emperor886

simbeb

I am not quite sure because I did it ages ago, but I think that if you are using Firefox, you need to go to Tools - Manage contents plugins, when you're there ,look for a non-Adobe flash player plugin and disable it...

simbeb, Apr 25, 2010
  6. emperor886

xyrophile

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove swfdec-mozilla mozilla-plugin-gnash
    should clear the old one out.

xyrophile, Apr 25, 2010
Ask a Question