A few questions before buying

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by sjb05004, Nov 19, 2008.

1. sjb05004

sjb05004

I am definitely buying one of these after seeing the display at wal-mart last week. After extensive research I'm still somehow torn between a few choices. If anyone could comment on any of them your advice and/or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What are the pros/cons of the color choices? From what I understand the tops of all of them attract fingerprints, but is there a color that shows them the least?

How bad is the SSD in these units, or is it best to spring for the HDD model? (hard drive space is really no concern)

Is the 6-cell battery really all that much better? I'm used to approximately 1:45 - 2:05 hours on my current POS Toshiba.

What is the best OS to run on these? I'm more of a linux guy, but heard many bad remarks on the Linpus LIte. Also not a big fan of Windows, but if it comes to it would prefer Vista.

Sorry if any of these have been previously answered in other posts, but I have yet to find them. Thanks again!

SJB

sjb05004, Nov 19, 2008
  2. sjb05004

AceRyan

1. I have a white AA1. They will all attract fingerprints b/c of the glossy surface, but fingerprints do not show at all on the white version, unless viewing it at just the right angle to catch the glare.

2. I have the HDD version, so I cannot speak for the speed of the SSD. I can however say that I leave my AA1 on all the time even when traveling too and from work. I havent dropped my AA1 yet, but the HDD seems pretty durable.

3. I have the 6-cell battery. I generally get about 5 hours with light browsing and listening to music. More like 4 if I were to watch a movie. Having the extra couple of hours is quite nice as most of the time I just plug it in at night. I dont even bother taking the ac adapter w/me anymore unless it is going to be over night. Aesthetically speaking, it sticks out from the back about an inch. This might put some off, but if you think about it, you will be viewing this thing with the screen open and battery on the bottom 90% of the time, so what do you care?

4. I have the Win XP version. Couldnt really say what the "Best" OS is. I went w/XP mostly b/c I am a busy man and didnt really have the time to dedicate to the tweaking and learning of Linux. The linpus version is a bit restrictive I have heard, but from what I read here it is easily replaced with other distros like Ubuntu.

AceRyan, Nov 19, 2008
  3. sjb05004

sjb05004

Thanks for the input! I think I've decided on the White Xp 6cell version. I'm sure I'll be happy with any AAO!

sjb05004, Nov 19, 2008
Ask a Question