a new user with a few questions....

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by pc10pc, Nov 11, 2008.

1. pc10pc

pc10pc

we just got an aspire with linux for the brat of the house to use, first impressions are pretty positive. my first time using linux and i like the clean, simple feel to the desktop, wireless works no bother and the provided programs look like they'll do the job. fan is a tad noisy, but ill not be using it so doesnt really bother me.

just a few questions,
    1 i'd prefer to be the only one who could add new apps to the pc, can i lock it to behave this way? do you have to change a setting to add new apps, in which case he couldnt anyway.
    2 when i did the setup i put in a password then it rebooted. is that the root password?, i 'd rather make him a new user account and i remain admin(i see instructions are available here). ive only booted the once so i dont know if you are asked for account name and password?
    3 can linpus play/sync to an ipod with the provided software? or would i need to install another (amarok was mentioned here too)
    thanks

pc10pc, Nov 11, 2008
  2. pc10pc

Andysan

1. You cannot add new aplications without enabling Advanced Mode >> viewtopic.php?f=39&t=28&p=1091&hilit=advanced+mode+enable#p1091
    2. Unlike Windows, no-one assumes the role of the admin. The Admin can be anyone who has the root password. When you try and delete some system files for example, it will ask you for the root password which you must supply. There is no such user as "root" really, i.e. there is no "root's Documents" etc... its more like parental control, it stops you from accidentally screwing things up or from someone else doing so intentionally. Your son is set up as a standard user, if he tries to do anything such as install a enw app, it will prompt him for the root password - if he supplies the correct password, the install will continue, else he will be denied access.
    3. Try Songbird (read the 7th post down) >> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2101&p=33931&hilit=songbird#p33931

Post back with your sucesses (or otherwise)! :)

Andysan, Nov 11, 2008
  3. pc10pc

pc10pc

thanks for this, i take it the root password is the one i entered at first setup?

pc10pc, Nov 12, 2008
  4. pc10pc

Andysan

Yes, that be the root password. If you want to set up multiple users with passwords then there maybe a thread for this somewhere, i haven't looked. Else you may wish to consider ditching Linpus in favour of Ubuntu or something similar.

If you just want your lad to not be able to break things etc... then you are fine as is.

Andysan, Nov 12, 2008
Ask a Question