A0751h downgrading from vista to xp?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by brianthehawaiian, Sep 6, 2009.

1. brianthehawaiian

brianthehawaiian

i just bought a A0751h and id like to downgrade it from windows vista to xp in order to increase my performance. anyone know how i'd do this? a link to a tutorial would be perfect. thanks

brianthehawaiian, Sep 6, 2009
  2. brianthehawaiian

Drjones

You need a Bootable Windows XP CD and a USB CD or DVD drive.

Do you have either of those?

It's really simple after that. Simply Google "how to install windows XP" and I'm sure tons of tutorials will pop up.

Drjones, Sep 6, 2009
  3. brianthehawaiian

Drjones

Also, you could boot from a USB memory stick, but it seems to be a big pain in the butt to make a USB stick bootable, and you still need to get your hands on a copy of Windows XP.

Drjones, Sep 6, 2009
  4. brianthehawaiian

RLeary

I had upgraded from Vista to 7, I liked the speeds but there was this 90 second delay when booting before the desktop would load. So I plugged in a USB DVDRW drive (gotta have one of these if you have a netbook!) and booted to my XP pro cd, installed, and the laptop runs way much faster! I'm using Firefox for web browsing.

I did have to download the drivers from the Acer website though after XP installed. I just used another machine and copied over with my usb drive.

RLeary, Sep 8, 2009
  5. brianthehawaiian

petergunn

XP Pro SP3 works great. You can get a cheap laptop 24x USB powered CDROM from Amazon for < $20 shipped. I'm still using an old 5.25" IDE DVD-Burner in an external USB enclosure.

Be careful though - since I installed and tuned XP Pro I have been unable to get my netbook back from my wife. She now calls it "her laptop".

petergunn, Sep 9, 2009
  6. brianthehawaiian

xanadu2000

I used to have the Win7 delay, but a reload of Win 7 from scratch (with notations here: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=16553&p=98832#p98832) has yielded a very snappy Win7 installation. Still no issues, no bootup lag. Working great.

xanadu2000, Sep 21, 2009
  7. brianthehawaiian

Nuclear_Dawg

Ok, that's great. But I have a new problem. Vista is making my netbook an expensive paperweight. I've got a copy of XP Pro that I'm not using, but it's not even SP1. I'm having a heck of a time installing it. It's getting stuck w/ 9 minutes left on the "Registering Components" step. I'm afraid that the hardware in the netbook is too new for my old copy of XP. Any ideas on how to get past that so I can install the OS and download all the necessary drivers and service packs?

Thank you so much for your help. Get me out of this Vista hell I'm in....

Nuclear_Dawg, Sep 26, 2009
  8. brianthehawaiian

Drjones

How long are you leaving it for when it gets stuck at 9 minutes left?

I'd let it sit for a long time. If not, you can download a copy of XP Pro SP3 here on the forum.

Drjones, Sep 26, 2009
  9. brianthehawaiian

madisonman

Anyone have a link to an xp driver set? Thanks!

madisonman, Sep 29, 2009
  10. brianthehawaiian

Drjones

www.acer.com

Drjones, Sep 29, 2009
  11. brianthehawaiian

madisonman

http://www.acer.com[/quote]

I only found vista drivers. Do those drivers work for xp?

Nevermind... they're there.

Thanks!

madisonman, Sep 29, 2009
  12. brianthehawaiian

Drjones

;)

Drjones, Sep 29, 2009
  13. brianthehawaiian

dmillergv

I would call Vista to XP an UPgrade.
    Bought a 751 yesterday. Now clean installing to Win 7 Home Prem. Already had a lockup in Vista before
    I flashed the BIOS. Had my fingers crossed that it wouldn't lock up during the flash and create a veggy.

dmillergv, Sep 29, 2009
  14. brianthehawaiian

jplatt09

Yes you need some sort of USB CD-ROM drive.... once you have that though I would recommend "Tiny XP 09" (google it)
    It has tons of drivers and will install unattended. And yes, I believe it is legal as long as you use Micosofts key changer to change the key to your own copy. Its too bad Microsoft could have made a copy of XP that works so well...

jplatt09, Sep 30, 2009
  15. brianthehawaiian

Drjones

You don't necessarily need a CD-ROM drive: you can make a USB memory stick bootable. It seems to be a pain in the rear, but it is definitely possible.

How well does TinyXP work? I assumed that since it was so stripped down, that a lot of software would no longer work with it - is this correct?

Drjones, Sep 30, 2009
  16. brianthehawaiian

jplatt09

No, There are no problems running any programs with Tiny XP 09, Office 2000 worked, Firefox 3.5 works with adobe flash,
    It just has lots of tweaks that make XP better than it is off the shelf.

jplatt09, Oct 1, 2009
  17. brianthehawaiian

Drjones

How about office 2007, Chrome, iTunes, etc?

I'm not looking to do autoCAD on it or anything, but do want to use mainstream programs...

Drjones, Oct 1, 2009
  18. brianthehawaiian

DrNo

Office 2007 runs perfectly smooth. Chrome does, too, but it crashed my system so I removed it. I remember some other person writing that even Photoshop (CS3) runs at an acceptable speed. You may assume that most "mainstream" programs will work; as long as the software does not require a strong CPU (e.g. Adobe Premiere).

DrNo, Oct 2, 2009
  19. brianthehawaiian

mdodsonTN

I am having the same problem as noted before in the post. I am trying to install Win XP from the original CD but get to the point of "registering components" with 9 minutes remaining. I have given the machine 3 hours and the status is the same.

Can anyone provide assistance in what I might need to do to get past this point?

mdodsonTN, Dec 6, 2009
  20. brianthehawaiian

Drjones

Are you doing a clean install, meaning did you delete the current partition that contains your OS? should of course be the "C" drive.

Drjones, Dec 6, 2009
Ask a Question