A1 Dead. SSD problem?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by ChefRagoo, Sep 29, 2008.

1. ChefRagoo

ChefRagoo

After a week of non-expert (no mods whatsoever, original linpus installed, no software added) use my Aspire One ZG5 kinda died.
    First it started showing problems in opening correctly websites, so i tried to reboot but system locked. So i pushed the power button and got this message:
    "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"
    I tried to make a recovery usb key, but then, after the recovery software started ok from the key, i agreed to reinstall the system and loose all my files etc., pressed the "next" arrow and after a few seconds the screen went black and the A1 rebooted from the usb and i tried again and it went the exact same way, and so on.
    The bios starts, but looks like there's nothing i can do from there.
    Pressing F12 it finds my SSD, but I'm guessing the problem might be right there.

I guess the bios flash usb way wouldn't work for me, uh?

Any help?
    Thanks.

ChefRagoo, Sep 29, 2008
  2. ChefRagoo

ChefRagoo

Since nobody answered and since i don't have the warranty license, i tried flashing the bios.
    The bios was succesfully replaced, yet when rebooting i get the same old message ending with "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key".
    I'm really frustrated.
    Any hint, please?

ChefRagoo, Oct 1, 2008
  3. ChefRagoo

sungandjudy

I have the same problem. I usually have this problem after it comes out of standby mode. (Hybernation was disabled.)
    If you wait for few hour and try the clean install, it will find the SSD again. However, this will happen over and over again in few days.
    So I wouldn't leave any sensitive data if I were you.
    I'm thinking about calling service center to discuss this problem, but for past week or so, it's been running ok. If it happens again, I'll try to service mine.

sungandjudy, Oct 2, 2008
  4. ChefRagoo

ChefRagoo

Thanks for the reply, at least i'm not feeling so alone anymore.
    But even after hours of rest i wasn't able to do s**t with my Aspire, so i think i'll quit trying and also quit buying acer stuff.

ChefRagoo, Oct 2, 2008
  5. ChefRagoo

djt205

Can you take it apart and check that the cable for the SSD is seated properly? (On both ends)

djt205, Oct 2, 2008
  6. ChefRagoo

sungandjudy

When turning on, try to go into bios to see if it recognizes the SSD. If it does, then you need to change the boot choice to whatever your OS is located (mine was usb cd-rom). It should try to copy the new windows installation.
    Mine is ok so far, but then again, I disabled the standby mode on my AA1 and it's mostly been plugged into the wall. Tomorrow, I'll try to walk around with it to see if the same problem pops up again.

sungandjudy, Oct 3, 2008
  7. ChefRagoo

sgcheco

any fixes?? I'm just starting to have the same problems. I will try to open it an check de ssd

sgcheco, Nov 6, 2008
Ask a Question