A110L, A110X, A150L, A150X differences/what works?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by tobiasboon, Dec 15, 2008.

1. tobiasboon

tobiasboon

So to date there is roughly 4 Aspire one versions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspire_one#Specifications: 2 Linux and 2 Win versions. Is there anything hardware-wise that is different (besides the hard drive obv)? Maybe a couple of lspci from everyone would help.

Second questions: is there a difference in what is work.
    1. which do you have (A110L, A110X, A150L, A150X)?
    2. which kernel are you running? (ubuntu 8.10 (2.6.27.?), ubuntu 8.04 (2.6.2?.?), Sickboy's Kernel (2.6.28r7), N270 Opt kernel, array.org eee kernel, arch linux gothic night kernel
    3. does the following work for you
    a. wireless (with madwifi) -- I think this works with LED for everyone
    b. wireless (ath5k) -- Does this sometimes not work at boot? does it work after suspend? Nobody has LED for ath5k AFAIK
    c. SD slot left -- does it work only at boot or does it work as hot plug?
    d. SD slot right -- does it work only at boot or does it work as hot plug? does it work with more than just SD?
    e. sound (latest alsa that fixes everything)-- does mic work? does it work after suspend?
    e.2 sound (alsa v???) -- does sound work after suspend? mic?
    f any power management problems??

here's me.
    1. model: A150x Bios 3305
    2. kernel: sickboy's 2.6.28.r7ultimate (array.org eee kernel 2.6.27.8-eeepc).
    3a madwifi: didn't try
    3b ath5k: works but sometimes fails to work at boot, sometimes fails after suspend
    3c SD slot left: works with card reader tweaks from the wiki **Didn't have this before. Thanks all.
    3d.SD slot right: works with card reader tweaks from the wiki **Didn't have this before. Thanks all.
    3e sound (latest alsa >1.0.18) works after suspend and works (need to try the mic)
    3e2. sound alsa v. -- (using the eee ibex kernel (old alsa version) sound doesnt work after suspend. didn't try the mic.
    3f Power: everything is good. (eee ibex kernel gave me troubles: the gnome power management wouldn't respond when i go to battery. temporary fixed with unchecked "Reduce backlight brightness" and "Dim display when idle" )see here.

tobiasboon, Dec 15, 2008
  2. tobiasboon

spinnekopje

1. A150L
    2. standard ubuntu 8.10
    a. working nicely compiled version of december
    b. not tested
    c. hotpluggable with tweak
    d. hotpluggable with tweak
    e. no mic tested, no sleep/hibernate used, standard version of 8.10
    f. some tweaks done

spinnekopje, Dec 15, 2008
  3. tobiasboon

ags

1. model: A110
    2. kernel: standard Ubuntu 8.10 on i386.
    3a madwifi: Not tried with Ubuntu 8.10
    3b ath5k: Ubuntu backport module (works fine)
    3c SD slot left: hotpluggable with tweak
    3d.SD slot right: hotpluggable with tweak
    3e sound: Standard Ubuntu. Works, but don't know about suspend or mic
    3e2. sound alsa v: Not applicable
    3f Power: Just works!

ags, Dec 16, 2008
  4. tobiasboon

ags

1. model: A110
    2. kernel: LPIA Ubuntu 8.10 from ports.ubuntu.com. That's kernel and complete system are LPIA from ports.ubuntu.com
    3a madwifi: Works fine
    3b ath5k: Backports module not available for ath5k (yet)
    3c SD slot left: Not tested - should be hotpluggable with tweak
    3d.SD slot right: Not tested - should be hotpluggable with tweak
    3e sound: Standard LPIA Ubuntu. Works, but don't know about suspend or mic
    3e2. sound alsa v: Not applicable
    3f Power: Just works! Powertop told me to disable Gnome Power Manager, so I did. Battery life improved!!

Note LPIA is difficult to install due to a broken installer. See my post on LPIA Port

ags, Dec 16, 2008
  5. tobiasboon

MrNiceguy

One warning to AAO owners with hard drives - DO NOT install the fan tweaks mentioned in forums, wikis, etc... For some reason, on the hard drive models, the script that checks the temperature always returns a result of 0C, so the fan never turns on. The standard Ubuntu Wiki page for the AAO has this warning. However, there is an alternate page specifically for the A110L that is much cleaner, but (last time I checked) didn't have this warning.

That said, here's my answers:
    1. A150X (160GB, 6-cell battery)
    2. Stock Ubuntu 8.10 kernel for now, working on switching to Sickboy kernel assuming I can get the wifi working.
    3. a,b. Wireless works, but I'm running a Broadcom 4311 card. (It came back that way after I RMA'd my AAO for wifi problems) I just use the proprietary driver that was added by the Hardware Driver Manager, although right now that only works when I use the stock kernel. Kill-switch does work, activity light doesn't. Wifi power light works backwards - lit when wifi disabled, not lit when enabled. Shows the same behavior under Windows
    3c - Works as hot-plug. I did use the tweaks from the Ubuntu Wiki to get it working
    3d - Works as hot-plug for SD. Confirmed not working with Sony Memory Stick, no other formats tested
    3e - Current alsa is installed, sound and mic both work after suspend
    3f - Occasionally, something, (I think it may be the Gnome Power Management) prevents it from entering suspend. I haven't made any power-related tweaks yet, but from a full charge, the gauge usually estimates about 5 hours runtime, with wireless on

MrNiceguy, Dec 16, 2008
  6. tobiasboon

chris.h

I have it installed on my A150 with no problems. Fan goes on and off with the cpu temp...

chris.h, Dec 16, 2008
  7. tobiasboon

spinnekopje

Works like it has to be on my A150

spinnekopje, Dec 16, 2008
Ask a Question