AA1 110 with Fedora 14 LXDE

Discussion in 'Linux' started by meine, Nov 27, 2010.

1. meine

meine

and it is running FAST!

meine, Nov 27, 2010
  2. meine

finnbakk

How did you manage to get Fedora 14 to be bootable on a USB stick?
    I tried, but got boot error.

What version of F14 did you use?

finnbakk, Dec 7, 2010
  3. meine

meine

got the .iso for Fedora LXDE from the Fedora spins page at http://spins.fedoraproject.org/lxde/
    on my other box I have Fedora LiveUSB Creator (add software) and put it on an USB stick. if you use widdows you can use unetbootin which does about the same.
    that's all...

I used some of the tweaks from http://jorge.fbarr.net/2010/06/09/fedor ... spire-one/ except removing /swap and removing journalling. minimized swap use though. IMO the /swap comes handy for hibernation which doesn't work without.

indeed I use F14 LXDE. tried it with an earlier version of Fedora but was a bit disappointed. the F14 LXDE is really good! in a year's time there are a lot of improvements on handling files and overall stability.

meine

meine, Dec 10, 2010
  4. meine

finnbakk

Thank you. Is the F 14 fast on the AA1? Yes I'm trying Jolicloud but it responds slooooowly on this little machine.

finnbakk, Dec 11, 2010
  5. meine

meine

did some googeling on the Jolicloud. my first impression is that it looks really great, GUI worthwhile for a netbook. however cloud computing uses a lot of energy keeping net connections high all the time.

second thoughts came with the architecture behind Jolicloud. under the hood it seems to be Ubuntu 10.04 netbook remix -- see http://walyou.com/jolicloud-linux-operating-system/. basically only the front screen is different -- as well with the NBR as with Jolicloud -- but the rest is Ubuntu Gnome version. I guess that is why it is so slow on your AA1. Gnome and KDE need too much for the little Atom processor. the same is for the Fedora Moblin spin because it is just the GUI that seems to be different, underneath it is still Gnome...

as stated at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1469957 the intel low power architecture (LPIA) apparently has been abandoned. netbooks run the standard i386 or AMD64 builds now. again, a bit heavyish for our AA1 when running Jolicloud.

yes it is! I use it for about three weeks now. F14 LXDE is responsive, fast and stable. the endless crashes I had with F12 LXDE are gone. speed is gained by using light apps to do the thing. no open.office but gnumeric and abiword, pcmanfm for file management, sylpheed for mail, leafpad for editing basic txt files. no concessions are made for www -- Firefox 3.6.13 runs after today's updates. midori webbrowser is lighter but has IMO too many hickups. just give it a try with a Live version on USB...

I speeded up boot time by removing several services from the standard startup list:

Code:
    $ su -
    # for s in atd auditd avahi-daemon bluetooth cups gpm ip6tables kerneloops mdmonitor nfslock portreserve rpcbind rpcgssd rpcidmapd sendmail setroubleshoot livesys livesys-late microcode_ctl; do echo "chkconfig $s off"; chkconfig $s off; done
    off course you can skip services that you'll need. I kept sendmail to play aroud with.

further I removed one hashmark in the /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf and put in my own username after autologin=[username]. it's up and running in about 30 secs after first pressing the [on] button!

//meine

meine, Dec 11, 2010
  6. meine

finnbakk

TY. Now I have F14 LXDE installed, and it sure runs faster than Jolicloud did on this box. I mostly used this guide: http://www.easytarget.org/2010/11/fedora-14-on-acer-aspire-a110l/
    Disable journaling: I got some erreor message when I tried to mount the system fram live USB, som I dropped this step. I also have keps the swap partion.
    I also have tried earlier versions of Fedora on the AA1, but I like the F14 "light", which I think is a good version of Fedora. Some days ago I reinstalled Linpus on a simular AA1for a friend. I have to admit that OS it runs even smoother on the AA1, but I will not have it back on my box, cause it's so tricky to install new software.
    With F14 you have the advantage of using one of the world's most modern OS'.

finnbakk, Dec 13, 2010
  7. meine

meine

great you like it! the guide you used has the same components I used from the jorge.barr Road to Elysium and it is very usable also for the LXDE version of Fedora.

had the same errors a year ago and skipped it. first the /swap couldn't be skipped at installation, later I found that it can be useful now and then.

agree but Linpus is based on the discontinued Fedora 7 or 8 which was back when the AA1 came out already outdated. new Fedora versions are much faster, more stable and offer more functionality than before. good thing about the Linpus was the dashboard like GUI, just like the Ubuntu NBR etc. I remember the Linpus start screen was just a .html file! I guess it could also be on top of F14 LXDE but that is a matter of taste -- and programming... after all the regular start menu on the F14 does well, with some taskbar shortcuts there you have the same functionality. some googeling I found that some LXDE users use the cairo dock http://forum.eeebuntu.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1856. maybe worth trying...

//meine

meine, Dec 16, 2010
  8. meine

RockDoctor

Slightly OT - Currently happily running both F14 and F15/Rawhide LXDE on my A150.

RockDoctor, Dec 27, 2010
  9. meine

finnbakk

That sounds promising. I'm using F14 on my AAO, and so far almost everything seems perfect.

finnbakk, Dec 28, 2010
  10. meine

meine

agree! since we started this tread F14 LXDE runs for about one month. with every update it seems to me the AA1 is getting faster and rock solid!

only thing I have to find out is the microphone. with F13 XFCE the mike didn't work. using Ekiga it's a must have though...

about functionality -- IMO OpenOffice is too demanding so I stay with AbiWord and Gnumeric. for work I have to give presentations but OO Impress is also very heavy. instead I installed Impressive! http://impressive.sourceforge.net/ and it works very straightforward and well. al the necessary requirements are in the F14 repo, most of them already running.

@other followers -- just try F14 LXDE and be amazed! simple tweaking is described in our posts and linked sites.

meine, Dec 28, 2010
  11. meine

JimK

Hello, everybody. Add me to the list of satisfied customers running Fedora 14 LXDE. I have the original 110L with the slow SSD with RAM upgraded to 1.5GB, and this distro works great. Very fast. I also converted the / filesystem from ext4 to btrfs using the instructions provided by lovenemesis here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=246520.
    The only problem I'm having is that I'm not getting full volume out of my speakers. I've had that problem with previous versions of Fedora, too, but I can't remember how to fix it. I'm still applying some of the standard tweaks, so maybe one of those will fix it.

JimK, Dec 30, 2010
  12. meine

robin-morris

I am plucking up courage to install Fedora 14 Live XFCE on my AA1. I have looked at http://jorge.fbarr.net instructions for Fedora 13 but the screen for specifying the partitions are different - at least on my version they are. I believe there needs to be: /(root), /boot, and /home? I read somewhere that /swap is not required even though I only have 512 MB memory. I have backed up everything but thought I would see if any of you can put me on the right track before I push the button.

PS I went for XFCE rather than LXDE as I prefer icons on the desktop.

robin-morris, Jan 29, 2011
  13. meine

RockDoctor

FWIW, LXDE now does icons on the desktop :D.

With 1GB RAM, running without a swap partition on my AA1 doesn't seem to be a problem. However, the laptop that my AA1 replaced had only 512 MB RAM (and ran GNOME), and I definitely found it useful to have a 1GB swap partition on the HDD. In your case, I'd start without a swap partition - if you decide you want one, just add it later.

RockDoctor, Jan 29, 2011
  14. meine

finnbakk

finnbakk, Feb 1, 2011
  15. meine

Albertde

I have the AAO D255E (bought for C$200), which came with Windows Starter 7, a POS. I eventually corrupted it (through a wabi install that broke on an Ubuntu update) and removed it but anyway WS7 hadn't recognize my left card reader with a 16GB SDHC. That seems to be my main issue in fact with most Linuxes I've tried.

The worst was Vector Linux 6.0: no wireless. The Ubuntu, Debian and their derivatives (#!, Linux Mint, etc.) failed on the card issue. ArchOne failed to install from USB (known Arch bug and suggested fix, obviously not tested, didn't work) and is too big for a CD. Arch (as an iso from an external CD drive) didn't recognize the card. Their suggested fix was to recompile the kernel.

So far, I know that Fedora 14 is supposed to recognize it but none of the recommended fixes have worked. In fact, it very well could have and I just don't know where to look and with what file manager. The only Linux that works and detects my card is Fluppy 13, a Puppy Linux derivative on a fr4ugal install.

My question: what tweak do i need to do to get Fedora 14 and how can I confirm the card was detected?

Albertde, Mar 2, 2011
  16. meine

RockDoctor

As root:
    Code:
    blkid -c /dev/null
    On my AA1 (the 150, which has the hard drive instead of the SSD), the left reader is the device is normally /dev/mmcblk0; if it has partitions, they should be mmcblk0p1, mmcblk0p2, etc... The right reader is /dev/mmcblk1. I can't boot from the card readers - have to plug the card into a USB reader for that).

HTH

RockDoctor, Mar 2, 2011
  17. meine

Winfried

Add me as well to the list of happy fedora14 LXDE users. It seems that with this distro a stable and light and fast version of fedora has been created, very well adapted to the AAO 110-Z5. I aim very happy.
    Even twinkle works with my bluetooth headset under pulse audio;

in principle I use my SD card for all kind of data; some problem I have with digikam and rythmbox, since I was not able to set their storage on the SD card; how can I move /home and other user files from SSD to SD and how can I ensure that the system accepts this? The SD card is in the left card slot. I have a 8GB partition on it called HOME1, which I want to use for home etc.

Winfried, May 24, 2011
  18. meine

RockDoctor

Warning - I have not tried this!
    Assumptions:
    1. HOME1 is mounted at /media/HOME1
    2. HOME1 is ext4.
    Procedure:
    1. Open a terminal window
    3. as root:
    Code:
    cp -a /home/* /media/HOME1
    4. edit /etc/fstab and add the following line:
    Code:
    LABEL=HOME1  /home                ext4    defaults        0 0
    5. reboot
    Worst case: Reboot fails so badly you need to take the card out of the left slot to actually reboot. If that happens, just do it and delete the line you added to /etc/fstab. No permanent harm done.

RockDoctor, May 25, 2011
  19. meine

Winfried

GREAT Rockdoctor
    Done and functions.
    You also recommended to me LXDE; and I aim very satisfied.
    I usually do a backup on a USB stick with the utility from jorge.
    I assume that now the backup concerns only the SSD and not home on the extension card. So I have to do something else. Right?
    Regards

Winfried, May 25, 2011
  20. meine

RockDoctor

I believe backing up your new home will require a different approach. The program fsarchiver, which is available in the Fedora repositories, is my favorite for doing backups. It's a CLI program, so you'll have to do it from a terminal. The command
    Code:
    fsarchiver
    will list all the commands. You will be backing up an active directory (/home), which is not the best thing in the world to do, but shouldn't cause any major problems in this case. I recommend trying it. Create a backup of /home, and then run
    Code:
    fsarchiver archinfo
    on the archive to verify it.

RockDoctor, May 26, 2011
Ask a Question