AA1 110 with Fedora 14 LXDE

Discussion in 'Linux' started by meine, Nov 27, 2010.

1. meine

Winfried

Re: AA1 110 with Fedora 14 LXDE/ concerning /home

I have one problem. I thought, by posing the /home directory on my extension card I would win space on SSD.
    With my file browser I can not see anymore the partition HOME1 but I can see that for / there is less free space available then before, while the total space is about 6.4GB. But for /home there are 8GB available, which is the size of the HOME1 partition, which I created on the extension card.
    Is there any way to get rid of the /home directory on the SSD?
    I could run fedora from my USB HD, but since I wish to know what I aim doing this question.

Winfried, May 26, 2011
  2. meine

RockDoctor

Re: AA1 110 with Fedora 14 LXDE/ concerning /home

I believe the answer to your question is yes. Just let me ensure that I understand the situation.

You have a /home directory on the SSD. It's contents are as they were before. You have an 8GB SD card onto which you have copied the contents of the SSD's /home directory. The SD card is mounted on /home, which hides the contents of the SSD's home directory.

If the above is correct, here's what I'd do:
    1. Boot the AA1 without the SD card in the slot.
    2. Instead of logging in as your normal user, press Ctl-Alt-F2 to bring up console screen.
    3. Log in as root.
    4. Delete everything in /home (rm -rf /home/*)
    5. (Optional, but I recommend this) copy the contents of /etc/skel to each user's home directory on the SSD, and change the ownership of each file as appropriate (example for user rockdoctor:
    Code:
    cp -a /etc/skel /home/rockdoctor
    chown -R rockdoctor:rockdoctor /home/rockdoctor
    6. Insert the SD card
    7. Mount the SD card's partition on /home (since it's listed in /etc/fstab, mount -a should do it)
    8. Log out of the console
    9. Return to the graphical login screen (Alt-F1) and log in as you normally would.

Leaving a minimal home directory for each user on the SSD will let you use your AA1 as your normal user without any difficulties, should you decide to do so.

RockDoctor, May 27, 2011
  3. meine

Winfried

Thanks Rockdoctor for this lesson. It worked.
    Now I have of 6.4GB 1.6GB free space. Thats sufficiant I guess.
    With the backup I do now as usual for the SSD and use for /home fsarchiver as you suggested.

Now I have a fine little system which works stable and without any problems: bluetooth, twinkle, rythmbox, firefox, thunderbird, open office, printoxx for making postcards, gthumb for viewing images and make small changes,
    digital editions under wine for coded e-books and FBreader for uncoded epub books, mpaint for drawings and sketches. and I can do the necessary backups. And I can train piano with my midi/USB keyboard .
    I only hope that all the updates which are flowing in almost every 24hours are well tested. When I used fedora 11 several times after update my system broke down.
    Since I aim using fedora 14 all is stable.

Winfried, May 27, 2011
  4. meine

Winfried

I have to revoke my pleasure about LXDE.
    Since today my system is foolish.
    On the panel the applications opened do not appear anymore; the header of firefox does not appear anymore. So how can I close an application
    Thunderbird is fixed in the upper left corner and does screen my upper panel. I can not move it with ALT-(left button) kept pressed and moving the mouse; I can not maximise it since the header does not appear.
    It seems that the configuration has been scrambled. How can I repair that?
    I aim really embarressed. Please help

Winfried, May 29, 2011
  5. meine

RockDoctor

Not sure why you'd encounter such a problem. My guess is that the window manager isn't running. On my system, $HOME/.config/lxsession/LXDE is as follows:
    Code:
    [Session]
    window_manager=openbox-lxde

[GTK]
    sNet/ThemeName=Mist
    sNet/IconThemeName=Fedora
    sGtk/FontName=Liberation Sans 9
    iGtk/ToolbarStyle=0
    iGtk/ButtonImages=1
    iGtk/MenuImages=1
    iGtk/CursorThemeSize=18
    iXft/Antialias=1

sGtk/ColorScheme=
    sGtk/CursorThemeName=Bluecurve
    iGtk/ToolbarIconSize=2
    iNet/EnableEventSounds=1
    iNet/EnableInputFeedbackSounds=1

[Mouse]
    AccFactor=20
    AccThreshold=10
    LeftHanded=0

[Keyboard]
    Delay=500
    Interval=30

RockDoctor, May 30, 2011
  6. meine

Winfried

Mine is as follows
    Code:
    [Session]
    window_manager=openbox-lxde

[GTK]
    sNet/ThemeName=Clearlooks
    sNet/IconThemeName=Fedora
    sGtk/FontName=Sans 10
    iGtk/ToolbarStyle=3
    iGtk/ButtonImages=1
    iGtk/MenuImages=1
    iGtk/CursorThemeSize=18
    iXft/Antialias=1

[Mouse]
    AccFactor=20
    AccThreshold=10
    LeftHanded=0

[Keyboard]
    Delay=500
    Interval=30
    I don't see big differences.
    I went back to my system with all inclusive home on the SSD. The file .../LXDE/config contains exactly the same code and works without problems.
    I will now redo the splitting and see if the same happens.
    However, I think the copying I will do using a fedora system on my USB HD. Then I don't have a problem with copying a life system. In that case SSD and the SD extension are just external data, or? (edit 31-5-11: Did not function; the ssd was not recognised by my USB-SD fedora system)
    I will report soon. :edit 31-5-11: NO I will not since I do other things at present.

edit: 31-5-11 I restarted from a some days old backup version and reinstalled all the changes so that I have now the system I described in my previous post. But /home still on the SSD. I will stay with it for a while since I have about 1GB free space on the SSD. That is enough; so I will not play with my system for the next weeks since in my holiday resort it is my only working system.

Winfried, May 30, 2011
  7. meine

lemonhan

in principle I use my SD card for all kind of data; some problem I have with digikam and rythmbox, since I was not able to set their storage on the SD card; how can I move /home and other user files from SSD to SD and how can I ensure that the system accepts this? The SD card is in the left card slot. I have a 8GB partition on it called HOME1, which I want to use for home etc.

lemonhan, Jun 23, 2011
  8. meine

RockDoctor

If you're using Linpus with the card essentially permanently kept in the left slot, the SD card will be seen as an extension of the SSD and is used automagically. If you're using an OS that doesn't use the left slot's SD caard by default, you should be able to copy your files from /home on the SSD to /HOME1 on the SD card, then mount the SD card's HOME1 on /home with an entry in /etc/fstab something like this (assuming HOME1 is the first partition (p1) and is formatted with an ext2 filesystem):
    Code:
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 /home ext2 defaults,umask=0000,noatime 0 0

RockDoctor, Jun 24, 2011
  9. meine

Winfried

I hope that still sombody loks after this theme
    I have installed F14-LXDE now since several months and I aim very satisfied. However, since about a month I aim observing that when I use Opera it takes very long until a window is completely filled, the CPU monitor shows 100% usage for several seconds up to a minute and the light for the SSD usage is all the time on.
    Is it possible that a security job is behind the scene working on my AAO or is it selinux which consumes all the cpu opwer?.
    My question: is it still recommended to to switch of selinux?

Winfried, Sep 2, 2011
  10. meine

RockDoctor

The recommendation from the Fedora people is to keep SELlinux enabled. You may want to run top in a terminal window while Opera loads a page to see what is occupying the CPU.

RockDoctor, Sep 2, 2011
  11. meine

Winfried

Thank you for this advice; however I don't know what you mean with "run top..." What programme is that? Sorry for my ignorance

Winfried, Sep 2, 2011
  12. meine

Winfried

five minutes later: I simply typed top into the terminal and it came up something. Now I will get acquainted with it and will come back.
    By the way, I disabled SElinux and its fast now. But anyway the effect of S>Elinux I will look at with top
    But not before sunday I aim now travelling.

Winfried, Sep 2, 2011
Ask a Question