AA1 refuses to boot from USB key

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Simon Brown, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Simon Brown

Simon Brown

Hello, I am obviously attempting to install ubuntu on my PNY 1GB USB key and have tried placing Ibex on the key through both LiveUSB (through VirtualBox) and UNetBootin (on Vista,) but in both cases, despite "USB HD" being selected from the boot menu, the AA1 still boots Linpus. Thanks in advance, and I apologise for my lack of knowledge.

Simon Brown, Oct 31, 2008
  2. Simon Brown

N6546R

Two thoughts. First, see if there are two entries for your USB key in the boot menu...sometimes PNY keys (and others, I suppose) have two partitions on them, and one shows up as USB CDROM and the other USD HDD (or FDD). ust try the one you haven't yet.

Second, test the ky on a different machine to make sure that it's working.

Hope that helps!

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Oct 31, 2008
  3. Simon Brown

Simon Brown

Being the Linux novice I am I was unable to check the USB drive partitioning on Linux, but I did try to boot from my HP computer, however, this is what was displayed:

[​IMG]

As you can see, I tried to give it the location of the linux file based on the file structure I could browse in the VM, but to no avail. It also strangely called itself Ubuntu's parent.

Simon Brown, Nov 1, 2008
  4. Simon Brown

stanfish

you say that you are using a one GB key..are you sure that you have the entire Ubuntu image and the .deb file on the key? I needed a key with more than 1GB to hold the files.
    Cheers,
    Stanfish

stanfish, Nov 2, 2008
  5. Simon Brown

Simon Brown

When writing the image to the key, the USB linux software is erased - could this be the problem? The software returns no errors when it finishes writing the image. Also, if I were to decide to buy a new USB key to solve the problem, is there a brand that you know to work with USB linux?

Simon Brown, Nov 2, 2008
  6. Simon Brown

Simon Brown

I have used gparted to look at the device and it can only find one partition.

[​IMG]

Simon Brown, Nov 2, 2008
  7. Simon Brown

Simon Brown

bump

Simon Brown, Nov 5, 2008
  8. Simon Brown

lotus49

Normally the hardest bit is getting the USB key to begin the boot process at all. If you get the SYSLINUX line then that is working and your USB is bootable.

It appears from your screenshot that there is a problem with the syslinux setup. There is a file called syslinux.cfg that should point to the kernel. However, I presume from the fact that you say you are a Linux novice that you would not have edited any of this so it ought to have worked.

Can you be more specific about how you wrote the image to the USB stick?

In the past I have successfully followed the instructions here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... omUSBStick.

Although I know that this is not what you asked, do you have a USB CD drive? At least that always works.

lotus49, Nov 7, 2008
  9. Simon Brown

Simon Brown

Having put the debian archive on my USB drive, I downloaded a Ubuntu Ibex image from the website and booted my VirtualBox emulation from it (boots from "CD" each time) and ran the software, having inserted the USB key and added it to VB before starting the emulation, then I simply installed it on the drive (as far as I know there is only one way to do it). Then I booted it from my HP desktop box (running XP), and the image I posted is what happened. I'm not sure what other details I can give.

Unfortunatly I don't.

Simon Brown, Nov 7, 2008
  10. Simon Brown

N6546R

Since you have a Windows machine, the easiest way to create a bootable USB key is to download the ISO for Ubuntu, then download and run unetbootin. It will quickly create a bootable key from the ISO file. Unetbootin is available from http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Nov 8, 2008
  11. Simon Brown

Simon Brown

As I have said earlier, I have tried that and failed.

Simon Brown, Nov 8, 2008
  12. Simon Brown

Simon Brown

After replacing my USB key (with a 4GB Verbatim), it now works - although I havn't attempted to install Ubuntu yet.

Simon Brown, Nov 29, 2008
Ask a Question