AA1 Win 7 wireless connectivity problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alkspa, Nov 6, 2009.

1. alkspa

alkspa

Just got a Win 7 Aspire One (D250) and spent 2 days trying to solve this problem. Here it is:

Problems / Issues / symptoms:

1) Aspire One (D250) would not connect to my Netgear 802.11n router WHILE IN BATTERY MODE!! Netbook DID CONNECT while powered by external ac power supply! (Very puzzling). On board device is a 802.11g Atheros AR5B95 wireless network adapter. (yes, I fiddled with the adapter power settings and reloaded the driver)

2) Once wirelessly connected (using external power supply), download speeds were much slower than expected (~1 Mbps, according to speakeasy.net/test); however, uploads were about normal at > 3 Mbps. (also puzzling). Upon removal of ac power, battery power maintained this level of connectivity.

3) Further testing with a USB wireless adapter revealed upload / download speeds of 15 Mbps/5 Mbps (very close to wired connectivity).

Resolution:

Went to a local hotspot (Staples - a business supply store - where I bought the Netbook) and, to my surprise, found that CONNECTIVITY IS VIABLE in battery power mode. However, I could not confirm connectivity speeds because of limited provided bandwidth restrictions.

Returned home and decreased router mode from 270 Mbps (full 802.11n) to 54 Mbps. Connectivity is now routine and normal regardless of AA1 power mode. Also, upload / download speeds are now near wired connectivity.

"Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy." ~Joseph Campbell

In this case, I don't know what the rules are. This experience was merciless.

alkspa, Nov 6, 2009
Ask a Question