AAO 110 AW Should I reinstall or update?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Ballistic, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Ballistic

Ballistic

Hi guys long time no see.
    Anyway, I seem to have attracted some malware which causes the aao to pause for 30 seconds after each web click, while it tries to find some random advertising site which never appears. I am currently running the original build with the exception of firefox ver 8.

Having never reinstalled the OS and with only this site to guide me and an original CD ROM from acer, would you recommend reinstalling the original linpus, or going to linpus' web site and downloading the latest version of linpus lite? Am I likely to run into any problems doing so or any problems down the line like getting bits and usb bobs to work on the aao?

Any interest or help greatly appreciated,

Brian

Ballistic, Nov 13, 2011
  2. Ballistic

donec

I would suggest upgrading to Linux Mint 10. I put it on my AAO ZG5 and the installation went perfectly and every thing worked out of the box. I have not tried Linux Mint 11 on my AAO ZG5 so I'm not as sure that it will be the same.

donec, Nov 13, 2011
  3. Ballistic

Ballistic

donec you say NOT tried it on the AAO ZG5 ??? Is it the one with a hard drive or the built in memory?

Ballistic, Nov 14, 2011
  4. Ballistic

donec

That statement was in reference to the AAO ZG5 and Linux Mint. The AAO ZG5 came as both the 8/16 GB SSD or with the 120/160/250 GB HDD. The one I had was the 8GB SSD, but I also had a AAO D150 that the only thing that didn't run out of the box was the wireless on Linux Mint 10. The fix was easy.

donec, Nov 15, 2011
  5. Ballistic

Ballistic

WOO HOO guys, I'm onto something. I googled BS.Serving-Sys and "tranfering data from yimg.com" and it turns out I have some spyware causing problems which clearing cookies doesn't resolve.

However, on a tip that these hidden cookies use flash player - I disabled the flash player in firefox and the messages are still coming up at the bottom of the screen to say firefox is attempting these random sites, but it only tries for a split second and no longer freezes the computer for 30 - 60 seconds.

So.. now I am onto it, I don't really need to reinstall the OS. I just need help removing this bast**d so I can re-enable the flash player, if anyone can just give me a litle bit more help???

thanks

Brian

Ballistic, Nov 16, 2011
  6. Ballistic

Ballistic

Oh my god, I have thousands of persistent super cookies and tons of the spyware trouble ones. I installed "Better Privacy" which you can find on the firefox site. Mods, if you want to rename and move this topic now it has changed to one about spyware, you are welcome. Hope this helps someone else.... thank you.

Ballistic, Nov 16, 2011
Ask a Question