AAO 110AB not working need advice please

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by junaid_dar2, May 20, 2009.

1. junaid_dar2

junaid_dar2

i have an a110ab (ZG5) with 1gb ram 16gb ssd on linux linpus lite, i was lovin it, but after the blue screen where it says aspire one it just goes black with a moveable cursor. Btw it recognizes the battery and it charges.

This is the second time the exact same thing it has has happened in a week. First time i used recovery cd via a borrowed external cd drive and it was back to factory/brand new out of the box condition. it then happened again. But now the external cd drive that i was using is not available (my friend cannot lend it to me till nxt week). tried flashing bios using my 2 mem sticks (via macles) with power adapter in and didn't work . btw i am a linux NOOB.

do you think there is a hardware problem with my acer? should i send it to acer? the guy at the shop where i bought it from thinks its serious and told me to phone acer and see if i can get rma. i am in uk but i dunno where to send it to...
    the guy at the shop where i bought it from thinks its serious and told me to phone acer, troubleshoot and if that doesnt work, see if i can get rma.
    have i got any other options? Any advice is welcome (but beware i don't know TOO much about linux or aspires YET).

edit: both times its been after xfce right click on desktop activation (probably a coincidence anyways)

junaid_dar2, May 20, 2009
  2. junaid_dar2

RockDoctor

It could be a software problem; I've had similar problems on my desktop system which were fixed by upgrading my graphics driver. Since this isn't something you're likely to be able to do, I suggest the following:

Option #1: return it to the shop where you bought it and exchange it for a new unit.

Option #2: Get hold of a bootable Fedora, Ubuntu, or Mandriva USB stick.The Mandriva iso (mandriva-linux-one-2009.1-rc2-GNOME-europe-cdrom-i586.iso) is particularly nice because you can just bit-copy the file to the USB stick and it will be bootable. Obviously, this assumes you've got a 1GB or larger USB stick and another system with which to download the iso file and install int on the USB stick.

RockDoctor, May 20, 2009
Ask a Question