AAO 120GB HDD Model Optimizations

Discussion in 'Windows' started by sav2880, Nov 7, 2008.

1. sav2880

sav2880

Okay, so I've read a lot about optimization ideas for the SSD models of this, which is awesome. BUT, as I own the 120GB hard drive version, I'd like to get the best ideas from everyone for optimizing the Windows XP experience on this laptop.

POSSIBLE ANSWERS:

* NLite for a customized XP Build (of course)

QUESTIONS

* Will disabling of prefetch help performance on the HDD model as well?
    * Same question in regards to disk caching (thinking this should stay on)

Please add ideas here so that I can help make my AAO work even better than ever.

sav2880, Nov 7, 2008
  2. sav2880

goofball

You don't need to worry about those, leave those on. In terms of optimization for the HDD, there's not much really.

goofball, Nov 8, 2008
  3. sav2880

pescador

I have a 120GB HDD model as well and found the tips with SSDs are similar to HDDs(as in the Steps to a Happy XP Experience) to decrease bootup and application times

Turn off Indexing service
    Turn off System Restore
    Turn off create thumbnails
    Disable creation of 8.3 filenames (NTFS)
    Disable page file (I have 1GB RAM and this also prevents the clicking sound when idling)
    Use Eboostr with a SDCard (like Vista's Readyboost) <- I was skeptical at first but it does work even without the paging file on. I can load up GIMP, Google Sketchup, ThinkOffice, and use Firefox without a hitch.

You don't need to nLite (unless you want a smaller footprint) since the 120 GB is a lot of space and you can turn off the services within XP

pescador, Nov 8, 2008
  4. sav2880

goofball

you can use eeehdd to turn off the clicking, or use a1ctrl (look in software hacks section of forum for link), it also has an option to disable the "clicking".

I would say nlite is still worth doing, the amount of extra files that are loaded onto the system for the programs/services that need them add unnecessary bloat. The best way to not have bloat is to not let it get on the system in the first place.

goofball, Nov 8, 2008
  5. sav2880

sav2880

I can see NLite as something viable no matter what level of PC you have for optimizing. The other changes are all solid, I'll be using them upon my next rebuild.

sav2880, Nov 10, 2008
  6. sav2880

mope

Hi All!

Sorry if it's not the right topic, but I didn't find better place for my problem. Yesterday Iinstalled eBoostr to my AAO 120GB, and I use it with a 2GB SD Card in the left slot. I use a1ctl also to control the fan. After I installed eBoostr, I noticed that the CPU temperature is higher than before eBoostr. I used this settings on a1ctl: fan off: 55°C, slow at 60°C, auto at 65°C. It worked very well, the temperature usually was 52-53 between 60-61°C depend on the usage. Now the fan is always running and it cannot cool down the CPU below 55°C. I use the same applications in the same way, as I used till yesterday. Is it possible that the eBoostr gives more work to the CPU, and that's why it cannot cool down like before? Now it's not OK for me...The performance is faster now, but the Fan is always on. I think it's not good for the fan, and also takes more power from the battery and decrease the usage time. Any Ideas?
    ...and sorry, my english is not so good...

THX

mope, Nov 14, 2008
Ask a Question