AAO 522 C5DKK

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by andyfen, Nov 18, 2011.

1. andyfen

andyfen

Hi, Could someone please explain why I cannot upgrade to 4GB if I install win 64 bit?

This one has AMD C50 dual core cpu

Thanks

andyfen, Nov 18, 2011
  2. andyfen

Hugh

This is my first post. Apologies if I'm saying something dumb.

Why do you think that 64-bit Windows would not support 4GiB?

My AMD-C50-based ao522 hardware can certainly handle 4GiB RAM; I have no reason to think that it can handle more.

Windows 7 Starter can only use 2GiB of it -- that's an intentional restriction to encourage you to buy an upgrade. No problem, I upgraded to Linux.
    Most 32-bit versions of Windows can only support 3.x GiB of RAM (the exceptions are mostly expensive server editions).
    64-bit versions of Windows can support 4GiB and more. I don't think that there is a 64-bit Starter, but if there were, it might have a silly limit.
    32-bit versions of Linux generally allow you to install PAE-enabled kernels, thus supporting 4GiB and more.
    64-bit versions of Linux run on the C50 and certainly support 4GiB and more.

There are unauthorized hacks to turn a Win 7 Starter into something that thinks it is a normal Win7 and thus uses 3.x GiB of RAM. IMHO that is a kind of piracy.

There are quirks with Linux (Ubuntu 11.10 and Fedora 16)j on my ao522 with C-50. The main trick is: enable PXE booting in the BIOS (but don't have a PXE server so it doesn't actually do a PXE boot) so that the ethernet interface is initialized before booting; otherwise the wireless driver will crash the system.

Hugh, Jan 31, 2012
  3. andyfen

andyfen

I just went for it and ordered 4GB.

Very tricky fitting it - even with the various YouTube videos and forum posts!

However the AAO 522 works great with 4 GB - despite Acer CS saying categorically that the motherboard will only support 2 GB!

What do they know?????

andyfen, Jan 31, 2012
  4. andyfen

something back

something back, Jan 31, 2012
  5. andyfen

andyfen

The Manual's instruction for removing the keyboard is totally inadequate. IMHO No-one would be able to do this without causing damage!!!

As I said "Very tricky fitting it - even with the various YouTube videos and forum posts!"

andyfen, Jan 31, 2012
Ask a Question