AAO 753 and WD Scorpio Black

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Puppetnation, May 10, 2011.

1. Puppetnation

Puppetnation

Hello there,
    I recently buyed an Aspire One 753 as travel pc which makes me really happy except for HDD performances.
    I can read on Toshiba factory drive a power requirement of 1.0A (a little high, isn't it?)
    I have a larger and unused WD Scorpio Black (7200 rpm) taking dust on my desk, which label is reporting a power requirement of 0.55 A...
    So, it's faster, less hungry.. why not replacing the drive?
    I cloned the drive with Acronis True Image Home (as I do usually) and everything was completed flawlessly but once fitted the WD inside the 753 it didn't work: HDD motor does spin up bur BIOS screen stucks and after some key pressing it starts beeping as if it were a keyboard error... Running the cloning process again it produces the same result, never seen before.... maybe BIOS doesn't like the drive? It should report an error insead of getting stuck...

Useless to say WD drive works perfectly in another notebook :(

What can it be?
    thanks

Puppetnation, May 10, 2011
  2. Puppetnation

Puppetnation

Talking with some techie friend, it seems like a power issue... 7200s need more power at startup, maybe mobo doesn't provide as requested...

Puppetnation, May 16, 2011
  3. Puppetnation

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

As above, check that the start-up current required for the WD is the same as orless than your current Toshiba.

Also, if that doesn't yield any solution you could try resetting your BIOS whilst changing the drives to ensure that there isn't any legacy information held over that makes the BIOS think it's looking for the Toshiba drive.

Let us know how you get on.

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, May 17, 2011
Ask a Question