AAO Backup

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Guest, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi

Too may times now my AAO has frozen causing me to hold down the power button.

This then stops the machine from re-booting, :shock: meaning I have to revert to the recovery USB stick each time, and then re-installing all the software.

Does anyone know if it is possible to backup the currently installed system to a recovery USB Stick ?

Alternatively any form of backup program would be useful,

Cheers

Cookie02392

Acer Aspire One, AOA 150-AW 1.5Gb Ram, 120Gb HDD, Linpus Linux

Guest, Oct 2, 2008
  2. Guest

kevin

This should not happen. The solution is not to back up differently -- the solution is to prevent it freezing. And if you can't, the solution is to take it back to the vendor and get a replacement.

Does it always freeze in the same place? In the same way? Using the same software? Or is it random? Does anything particular happen immediately before the freeze? It's difficult to diagnose problems like this over a bulletin board, to be honest. I would be inclined to ask for a replacement, if the freeze isn't obviously due to anything you're doing. Mine doesn't behave like this.

kevin, Oct 2, 2008
  3. Guest

RockDoctor

First things first, I agree with Kevin.
    As for backup, I used partimage. It does require a reinstall, but at least you can create your backup with all of your mods.

RockDoctor, Oct 2, 2008
  4. Guest

ste

Hello!

As you I would like to create an image of my actual system. I dont know partimage, i try to usce MondoRescue, in particulary Mindi, it permits to create a bootable image of the system...I have solved all dependences for instal it, finally the software go on but during the process I have got an error: there is not a kernel. It' very strange 'cause I have Linux Linpus...and it should have a kernel, isn't it?

This is the terminal
    Code:
    [root@localhost user]# mindi
    modinfo: could not find module libata
    Mindi Linux mini-distro generator v2.0.3-r2004
    Latest Mindi is available from [url]http://www.mondorescue.org[/url]
    BusyBox sources are available from [url]http://www.busybox.net[/url]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mindi-BusyBox v1.7.3-r1892 (2008-03-22 10:54:34 CET) multi-call binary
    Do you want to use your own kernel to build the boot disk ([y]/n) ?y
    No kernel matches exactly. Are there any duff kernels?
    Sorry, no duff kernels either
    Could not find your kernel.
    Analyzing dependency requirements                               Done.         
    Making complete dependency list                                 Done.         
    Analyzing your keyboard's configuration.
    Searching for rc.config ...Unknown config detected. Default keyboard map will be used.
    Assembling dependency files.....................................Done.         
    Your mountlist will look like this:
            DEVICE          MOUNTPOINT      FORMAT          SIZE (MB)       LABEL/UUID     
            /dev/sda1       /               ext2               6667                
            /dev/sda2       swap            swap               1027                
    Tarring and zipping the data content...                         Done.         
    FATAL ERROR. PBDI - cannot find 61440 kernel
    Please e-mail a copy of /var/log/mindi.log to the mailing list.
    See [url]http://www.mondorescue.org[/url] for more information.
    WE CANNOT HELP unless you enclose that file.

By the way, where can i get a giude how to use partimage or something like it to create a bootable image of my actual system?!
    I have a data traveler KINGSTON 2gb

PLEASE HELP ME!

ste, Oct 7, 2008
  5. Guest

donec

Rbil, here on the forum has a blog that provides instruction for backing up your AA1. Titled "Creating a Backup/Restore Solution for Aspire One (Linux)" that you can read and download the tools you need from....
    http://customdesignlinuxblog.blogspot.com/.
    This is a very easy script to use and works very well even though it was made for Linpus and I use Onelinux (customized Ubuntu). Try it you'll love it.

donec, Oct 7, 2008
Ask a Question