AAO - Can I use the internal wireless?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by callmecheez, Feb 19, 2009.

1. callmecheez

callmecheez

Hi all,

Reading conflicting posts on this - is it possible to get wireless working on the built-in wireless adapter on my Acer Aspire One ?

Cheers!

callmecheez, Feb 19, 2009
  2. callmecheez

rikbrouwer

Yes, it should be possible.. But it's very buggy!

rikbrouwer, Feb 19, 2009
  3. callmecheez

callmecheez

Can you point me in the direction of the right 'build' and a guide please? :)

callmecheez, Feb 19, 2009
  4. callmecheez

Thor316c

Thor316c, Feb 22, 2009
  5. callmecheez

jknights

Everything I have read says no unless you are really good at fiddling and patching.

The Dell 1390 wireless card is the card to swap in instead as that is recognised by OSX.

jknights, Feb 23, 2009
  6. callmecheez

Lodovik

I tried it too and had it working for a time with the Kismac method. But, OS X developped booting crashes after a few uses and also started to crash when shutting down. So, I took my Mac Mini Wifi card and put it in the AAO. After restoring the original kexts for the Atheros chipset, everything went smoothly from there; no more crashes, hang ups or random app closing.

A Dell adaptor could also do the trick and I ordered one soon after. When I received the Dell Card, I put it in the Mac Mini without any issue (I wanted to keep the option of running BackTrack on the AAO).

With a natively supported Wifi adaptor, the user experience on the AAO is very close to that of a Mac; it's worth it!

Lodovik, Feb 23, 2009
  7. callmecheez

Jerm78

It seems that different releases of the AAO have different problems. On mine, the Wi-Fi is actually the best I've ever used.

Jerm78, Feb 23, 2009
  8. callmecheez

semis

I tried the instructions on the linked page and had several crashes until i restored the original kext - everything back to normal. Is this a common result?

No big problem for me though, i use ethernet until my dell card arrives. :p

semis, Feb 25, 2009
  9. callmecheez

Rich in ILM

I think it's a great WiFi implementation. Either shut off the power save or update the driver and it's a very sensitive solid WiFi implementation. Final thing make sure you don't block the vent holes. If the PC gets hot the WiFi card seems to be the first thing to shut down.

Rich in ILM, Feb 25, 2009
Ask a Question