AAO d250 Uninstalling Ubuntu Netbook Remix/Grub Guide

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Utorange, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Utorange

Utorange

Hey everyone I'm more of a silent watcher on this forum but i found myself in a dilemma this week after dual booting xp and ubuntu. There was no guide on this forum that i could find so looking on google and everywhere else i figured it out and decided to share it with you. im writing this out of memory so please correct me if i am wrong.

1st off what you want to do is download a program to erase partitions. i used the free version of easeus partition manager.

Next you delete all the partitions pertaining to ubuntu/grub whatever.

when you reboot grub is still your bootloader so its going to try to start but you wont be able to boot into anything because the grub partition has been deleted. here is where i ran into problems.

i found all kinds of things telling me to run the fixmbr command in the command prompt after booting up the xp system disk and going into the recovery mode by pressing R.

so i borrowed an external drive and tried to do this over and over but everytime it told me that it couldnt find my hard drive to enter into recovery mode i wasnt sure of why so i went an alternate route. i downloaded the trial ultraiso and the msdos and created a bootable flash drive.

unfortunately when i did that and ran fixmbr all i got was the command was not reconized as internal or external command

i thought i was screwed so i played around for awhile. i finally figured out from previous experience that all i had to do the whole time was boot into the bios and change the hard drive mode from ahci to ide. then when i booted into the xp recovery disk and ran the command fixmbr it fixed my bootloader back to normal and i was able to boot back into windows. after you do this and fix your boot loader you should be able to change back into ahci mode.

im not positive because i didnt try it but if go to ide mode and then create a flash drive that boots into ms dos and then run fixmbr it should work as well.

i backed up before i did all this thankfully because in a panic i deleted all the partitions including xp and it still wouldnt boot even after reinstalling my acer d250 recovery disks that i got from acer. i dont want that to happen to anyone else so i thought this would help

please add any opinions and or corrections and ill edit the post with them. thanks

Utorange, Dec 11, 2009
Ask a Question