AAO Internal Antenna Question (802.11 N Upgrade)

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jhill101, Jan 5, 2009.

1. jhill101

jhill101

Greetings.
    Just picked up an Intel Wifi Link 5300 and 3rd antenna. Is there a best way to hook-up the (now 3) antennas? Should I just connect the new one to the "3" terminal on the card? Or should I make changes to the 1,2,3 locations?

Thanks,
    James

jhill101, Jan 5, 2009
  2. jhill101

JoeCHecht

You might not need the third antenna at all. Some of the Intel cards will work with only two (I think they use the housing as the third).

I must installed an Intel 4965agn card last night and got it working in N mode, with only the two antenna leads.

Hooked the white and black antenna leads to the outside connections on the card, and left the middle connection unhooked

In any case, I am planning on adding a 3rd "antenna" as soon as the connector comes in. I plan to just use a wire cut to the right length.

FWIW, before you cut a bunch of holes in the case to add a antenna, note that if you cut up one of those rubber antenna's on a router, you might be disappointed to find that there is nothing but the end of the in there :)

JoeCHecht, Jan 19, 2009
Ask a Question