AAO Mic Problem Solution Win XP SP3

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jamesngo, Dec 31, 2008.

1. jamesngo

jamesngo

So I've spent the last 2-3 Days Trying to figure out the mic problem for users who upgraded from Linux Linpus lite to Windows XP SP3 from the unofficial recovery disk or usb method. Tested on 110 Model

Well this is what i did i went to the realtek website and Dl this version of the HD audio driver, I don't know if its the same or a different one from our original driver. I'll leave the link at the bottom for the Download.

1. Uninstall Realtek HD audio from remove program.
    2. Go to Sounds and Audio Devices Properties.
    3. Hardware Tab and Select Realtek High Definition Audio and Properties
    4. Go to drivers tab and Click uninstall to remove the driver
    5. Install the new driver that you downloaded
    6. Restart
    7. Go to your Control Panel and Open up Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager.
    8. Go To microphones tab and unmark Acoustic Echo Cancellation. Apply
    9. Restart Computer than back to your sound properties
    10. Voice Tab and test your Voice option. That Should Be it, should be working a lot better now

Took an awfully long time, should work fine for you guys and cross out number 7 and 8
    I don't think you have to uncheck it, but its worth a test shot :D

Driver Download Mirror 2 From Realtek
    ftp://66.104.77.130/pc/audio/WDM_R212.exe or
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... o%20Codecs

jamesngo, Dec 31, 2008
  2. jamesngo

goapy

Hi. Thanks for all of your efforts. However, I just tried using R212 - following your uninstall instructions exactly. I disabled Acoustic Echo Cancellation in the Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager, but the input levels on the mic are still poor. I went back to R178 (see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7595 ) and the levels are decent again. I also tried all of the above with R213 (released 12/31), and R213 is even worse. R178 is the only version that is giving decent levels for the mic on my AA1. Hmm...

goapy, Dec 31, 2008
  3. jamesngo

jamesngo

do u have the 110 or 150 model?

jamesngo, Dec 31, 2008
  4. jamesngo

goapy

Sorry, I didn't mention I have 150-1570. I didn't know that the mic is different in the 110. Anyway, if it is working on the 110 - great!

goapy, Dec 31, 2008
  5. jamesngo

Peaty

I'm having the same issue, I just tried the above and installed the R212 drivers to no avail (I have an AAO 150 less than a week old) I'm in the process of downloading the R178 drivers and will give them a try, getting them from here now:

ftp://218.210.127.132/pc/audio/WDM_R178.exe

(from this freeware link http://freewarelist.net/realtek-high-de ... audio.html )

Pretty slow download but it's working. I'll report back on my results but one other thing I want to mention. I also have WS audio device listed (Wondershare it says in the drivers) I have tired this for the mic too and got the same results. I was considering un-installing that but I don't know if I should or not. Should I? Can this be causing a conflict? Not sure if this driver was there when I got the machine or it's something that got installed when I was loading something else.

Peaty, Jan 3, 2009
  6. jamesngo

Peaty

OK a quick follow up. So far uninstalling the R212 drivers and installing the R178 version has worked for me. It still worked after a reboot. I was able to do the audio test and it did not fail this time. I used the sound recorder and it is working just fine. I even had to turn off the boost and lower the mic because it was too distorted.

Basically I did as others have suggested:

1) Uninstalled the current RealTec Drivers (mine were updated to the latest 212 but it also did not work with the r194 that came loaded on)
    Note: The way I uninstalled was to use an uninstall program called "Your Uninstaller 2008" Not sure that will make much of a difference. It uses the normal uninstaller then cleans up the reg better than the windows uninstaller. Also, I did not reboot but during the uninstall process (said no to the reboot screen)

2) Right after uninstalling the current RealTec Drivers I ran the R178.exe to install the drivers then rebooted.

3) After the reboot I went to the control panel and verified the mic was on and volume all the way up.

Everything seems to work fine now, I still have the Wonder Share drivers (WS Device) that I can select but it seems to not change anything. I do have use default devices selected in the sound settings though.

Thanks to all the people that suggested I try these drivers.

For the Record my AAO is a 150-1636, Blue, Crystal Eye Webcam, 160 GB HD with 1GB RAM BIOS 3309

Peaty, Jan 3, 2009
  7. jamesngo

robandjeanne

Deaf mic mystery continues for me, but I have a work around solution. I got my mic working around 4 AM (best time to solve sw problems?). This time I created a system restore point (start, run, restore) just in case my AA1 forgot how the mic works. At that time I rebooted and mic was still working. About a half hour ago I turn the AA1 on and no mic again. Tried all the volume setting and mic selection tricks but no mic. Did a system restore to the point I created at 4 AM and mic works.

The only possible explanation I could have for this mic mystery is in my case I am using a USB wifi adapter, so I am not usually using the built in wifi of the aa1. In both cases when I got my mic working I was off line so I was not using the usb wifi. There may be some sw interaction in my situation, but returning to a restore point where the mic worked is a work around solution (it takes a couple minutes to restore and the aa1 will restart after the restore). For peace of mind if you are fighting the deaf mic problem, the moment you get it working CREATE A RESTORE POINT. It can save a lot of time and frustration.

robandjeanne, Jan 3, 2009
Ask a Question