AAO Mic Problem Solution Win XP SP3

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jamesngo, Dec 31, 2008.

1. jamesngo

jamesngo

I posted this up somewhere else on the forums but i think it was the wrong place eEhhh :|

So I've spent the last 2-3 Days Trying to figure out the mic problem for users who upgraded from Linux Linpus lite to Windows XP SP3 from the unofficial recovery disk or usb method. Tested on 110 Model

Well this is what i did i went to the realtek website and Dl this version of the HD audio driver, I don't know if its the same or a different one from our original driver. I'll leave the link at the bottom for the Download.

1. Uninstall Realtek HD audio from remove program.
    2. Go to Sounds and Audio Devices Properties.
    3. Hardware Tab and Select Realtek High Definition Audio and Properties
    4. Go to drivers tab and Click uninstall to remove the driver (1. & 4. i didn't restart cause i was rushing it lol)
    5. Install the new driver that you downloaded
    6. Restart
    7. Go to your Control Panel and Open up Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager.
    8. Go To microphones tab and unmark Acoustic Echo Cancellation. Apply
    9. Restart Computer and make sure the sound device is installed (installs it by itself)
    than back to your sound properties
    10. Voice Tab and test your Voice option. That Should Be it, should be working a lot better now

Took an awfully long time, should work fine for you guys and cross out number 7 and 8
    I don't think you have to uncheck it, but its worth a test shot :D

Driver Download Mirror 2 From Realtek
    ftp://66.104.77.130/pc/audio/WDM_R212.exe or
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... o%20Codecs

jamesngo, Dec 31, 2008
  2. jamesngo

robandjeanne

This was a great post on the deaf mic, but it didn't work with my xp 150. One part of your instructions couldn't be followed however. After removing Realtek HD from the add/remove part of control panel, there are no Realtek drivers left anywhere to remove. Also I wasn't sure if you delay restarting the AA1 until after the WDM_212 are installed (after removing, the option to restart is given, as well as after installing ver 212). I've tried so many fixes I just restarted once after ver 212 installation. Then I noticed I didn't have the Realtek panel running to change the mic setting so I had to start, run, rthdcpl.exe. I usually use sound recorder to test recording (it seems a lot quicker), and I noticed the speaker volume was greyed out so ver 212 apparently doesn't provide sound out on the 150 (and as mentioned doesn't allow sound in via the mic)

By the way for anyone trying to fix their deaf mic as I am, the easiest way to look at the latest mic posts from every message board is to search for mic at the top of the user forum page.

robandjeanne, Dec 31, 2008
  3. jamesngo

robandjeanne

It just occurred to me that it's possible the unsolvable deaf mic problem might be only with XP 150 AA1s. Anyone else have a 150 with a deaf mic (besides the poster from Spain)? To determine your model type you can check wikipedia for the Aspire One.

4. jamesngo

jamesngo

That is strange, doesn't the 150 come with xp and the drivers needed for everything to work properly? A buddy of mine has the 150 with 120gb hd and 1gb of ram with xp home, his mic works perfectly, probably better than mine. Well I'm glad i fixed the mic, the best thing to do is try different drivers, the one i used was from realtek itself. Also try messing around, it took me hours just to find out the problem, it's the driver alright. Isnt the mic/sound device the same for the 110 and 150?

Never mind 150 comes with linux or winXP

I will ask my friend to try it on his 150 and see what the problem is

jamesngo, Dec 31, 2008
  5. jamesngo

robandjeanne

From the tag on the bottom of my AA1 mine is an AOA 150-1049. It has XP, 160 GB, 6 cell battery, and the deaf mic.

Although I've tried removing and installing various versions of Realtek HD Audio Driver Setup (RHDADS) my mic isn't working. I've tried RHDADS 1.78, 1.94, 1.97, 2.04, 2.11, and 2.12. Version 1.94 with drivers 5.10.0.5628 is the Acer supplied software. Ver 2.12 won't even let the speakers work. Driver version can be checked by looking for the driver type in device manager where you will see 5.10...Also to determine which audio driver setup package you have you can check out Acer's Recovery system without really changing anything. To do this go to the Acer Recovery Management select drivers, contents, then click on Realtek drivers. You will have a chance to not install these drivers but if you first say install you will see the version of the driver as well as I believe the version of the setup package. Keep looking for the option to cancel installation as you go through this process and after you learn what type RHDADS you have simply cancel installation. The Acer supplied RHDADS in my 150 is (2.59) R1.94 and it gives rise to a driver set of 5.10.0.5628. According to Acer this is the same driver set used on the 110.

Some have mentioned the need to also remove and reinstall the Realtek audio codecs AC97. Ac97 can be obtained through Realtek.com. I've tried this too, but no mic.

Can those with working mics check out some of the possible interferences others have posted? Does running Skype kill the mic? Does running the Realtec HD Audio Manager (little red speaker in task bar) kill the mic? Incidentallly this Audio Manager allows you to kill Acoustic Echo Cancellation from the mic tab, does this option kill the mic? The Realtek HD Audio Manager is rthdcpl.exe, so if it's not running you can simply go to start,run and run it.

I fixed my mic once (can't remember what I did exactly) only to see it revert to no mic after the next power up. For the few minutes I tried it ti worked great. My only conclusion at this point is the exact process of removing and reinstalling sw is important. In other words do you remove it from control panel (strongest?)or device manager (weaker?), do you restart every time this option is presented, and maybe eve do you have skype running when doing all this.

6. jamesngo

ccbrianf

I'm running R2.13, and in order to get my mic to work, I have to run RTHDCPL.exe once after boot. It also starts a child process RtkBtMnt.exe. I can kill both of these processes with the task manager and still have the mic work until the next reboot. HTH

ccbrianf, Dec 31, 2008
  7. jamesngo

ccbrianf

I also found with R2.13 last night that RTHDCPL.exe has to be running when I plug in my headphones in order for the built-in speakers to mute and the headphones to play. Again, killing both running tasks after the switch kept the setting, but unplugging the headphones then did not cause a switch back to built-in speakers.

I guess, at least in the later drivers, that RTHDCPL.exe has to be running to switch input and output sources back and forth? :shock:

ccbrianf, Jan 1, 2009
  8. jamesngo

robandjeanne

The switch from speakers to headphones and back should be unrelated to any software imo. The headphone jack looks like the billions of other audio mini jacks that do a mechanically switch from speakers to headphones when you push the headphones in. I sometimes do have to jiggle my headphone connector to get the sound into the headphones so probably the Acer jack is not the most perfect.

robandjeanne, Jan 2, 2009
  9. jamesngo

ccbrianf

I agree with your opinion that the switch should not involve software, but I just tested again and it really does with R2.13. The mechanical switch seems to inform the software. If the software is running, a dialog pops up when I plug the head phones in and the output switches. If the software is not running, the ouput does not switch, but the Windows ding sound changes tone. Jiggling or replugging the jack doesn't make any difference.

ccbrianf, Jan 2, 2009
  10. jamesngo

ccuina

If still facing issues with mic on XP, please see my posts http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7595

I was experiencing "deaf mike" on one of my units and solved in ~30 mins. Note in Realtek HD app, mixer tab, need to make sure mic is selected, and with enough volume (half suffices).

Hope this helps.

BTW: Do the ones you have are XP with the 160 GB HDD (instead of the 120GB that was suppossed), and the Suyin webcam CCD?

ccuina, Jan 3, 2009
Ask a Question