AAO ready PUPITUP Music lab (Puppy Linux)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by eztuxer, Jan 29, 2009.

1. eztuxer

eztuxer

Thank you for the feed back.
    I've mirrored your post in the "Pupitup Software Academy":
    http://pupitup.phpbb3now.com/viewtopic. ... 1&p=40#p40

eztuxer, Feb 9, 2009
  2. eztuxer

eztuxer

I'm happy to announce a dependable hosting for the pupitup .iso & files:

http://puppylinux.asia/members/pupitup/

NO registration required. 8)
    Hosting kindly provided by Eric "Caneri"

A dependable website is next...

eztuxer, Feb 9, 2009
  3. eztuxer

eztuxer

eztuxer, Feb 11, 2009
  4. eztuxer

eztuxer

Please mattytee, I need a bit more light on how to get my PSR - E 203 Yamaha keyboard running with jack & LMMS and Muse score as well.
    I'm a bit lost since I've never used midi connexion before.
    Just bought an E-MU USB/midi adapter which jack "sees", but that's about as far as I can get.

For instance which option do I chose in this setting dialog box ?

[​IMG]

eztuxer, Feb 20, 2009
  5. eztuxer

GurbZ

Hi,

What option do u use when installing to SSD? IDE/SATA?

Grtz,

GurbZ

GurbZ, Feb 22, 2009
  6. eztuxer

eztuxer

I haven't done install on HDD yet with it because if you don't know exactly what you're doing you can mess up Grub, and loose access to other partitions as well.
    But it's just a matter of learning how to do it right, and since Pupitup is just another Puupy 4.1.2 I recommend you read this post:
    http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 46&t=29653
    You can dwnld a Flash video, and watch it.
    Personally I love the USB key very much, cause it leaves all the original software (Linpus lite) handy for "just in case", and to do the very few things that Pupitup don't do yet (some cards reader Sony Memory Stick issues).
    I'll do an install on HDD on another computer soon, to learn how to do it, so I'll look "smarter" next time someone asks. ;)

eztuxer, Feb 22, 2009
  7. eztuxer

3ld468

I, too, would like a little more explanation of how you, mattytee, connected your MIDI keyboard. I have an M-Audio Oxygen which, as in eztuxer's case, is seen by Jack but not, apparently, by anything else.
    As a sweetener to entice a reply, could I suggest that you may improve your sound output by increasing the buffer size in LMMS's Settings. This will increase latency of course but when laying down audio tracks it is always better to monitor what you are playing by external means and not through the software. You should experiment with different sizes until you find the lowest that gives smooth playback. I could not recommend a value because it is about taste and the actual running environment though 2048 would be a good place to start.
    I doubt that installing Pupitup on your internal drive will make any difference because OSs are loaded into and run from RAM anyway. All installing it does is allow this loading to happen quicker and thus shorten boot time.

Mike
    PS: Eztuxer, despite a few teething problems I think I could find Pupitup very useful. As things progress I hope to contribute to your forum at pupitup.org. Thank you. (Oh yes, and regards to Arobas. Looks a real sweetie.)

3ld468, Feb 25, 2009
  8. eztuxer

eztuxer

eztuxer, Feb 28, 2009
  9. eztuxer

eztuxer

eztuxer, Mar 7, 2009
  10. eztuxer

Steaker

Tried it out just the other night, some comments:

* Boot gets stuck at USB if an SD(HC) card is inserted (left slot tested). Seems to be a known bug.
    * The version of LMMS is 0.3 something. I really miss the SF2 player, not to mention VESTIGE instrument plugins. Can I upgrade?
    * No luck with my EDIROL PCR keyboard in LMMS. I sort of stare at the MIDI settings picture, like in eztuxer's post above, giving me (at least) three different MIDI inputs. I will try harder next time, if anyone wants to give me a hint?

Steaker, Mar 26, 2009
  11. eztuxer

eztuxer

http://pupitup.phpbb3now.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38

Adding plugins should work, Upgrade is another story, (need to recompile a .pet package with the newer version).

I'll make a tutorial to connect keyboards to LMMS with screen shots, etc... and post it on the "pupitup software academy" forum this week-end :

http://pupitup.phpbb3now.com/viewforum.php?f=24

eztuxer, Mar 27, 2009
  12. eztuxer

eztuxer

eztuxer, Apr 27, 2009
  13. eztuxer

eztuxer

eztuxer, May 13, 2009
  14. eztuxer

eztuxer

eztuxer, May 27, 2009
  15. eztuxer

lchile

May I just say I am highly impressed with this distribution after playing with it for a few hours - really stable, works without any problems with the Edirol UA1EX USB audio and M-Audio Oxygen 49 Controller, unlike Ubuntu Studio which was unusable - mostly due to Pulseaudio I believe.

lchile, Jun 6, 2009
  16. eztuxer

Jaycb

Puppy would be fantastic if they solved the left-hand card slot boot problem. The previous answer given regarding this was a bit of a cop out: in effect saying that it needn't be a problem as Puppy is so light on resource that one doesn't need an expansion card. This sounds sensible but there are users who need that extra drive space for photos, movies etc... It's a shame because everything else about it is great.

Jaycb, Jun 8, 2009
  17. eztuxer

lchile

Install it to the hard drive, it's a really small distribution too.

lchile, Jun 17, 2009
  18. eztuxer

eztuxer

I should have tried this before !

I found a good workaround for the lack of support for the memory cards slots on my AAO.
    I just use my external "Targus" card reader, which gives me an additional 3 USB ports.
    It's easier and faster than using the USB cable and my camera, or rebooting on Linpus.
    Nothing to install, works fine out of the box.

eztuxer, Jul 23, 2009
  19. eztuxer

eztuxer

Hi Jaycb !

I'm aware of this problem, and I understand it can limit your usage of your AAO.

The above post doesn't solve this issue, but works great to transfer pics & vids from camera, and expand even more the storage capacity via multiple USB keys.
    My cards reader can dock 3x32 GB USB keys + one memory stick and an SD card at the same time.

Proper handling of left slot SSD expansion gestion should come with a newer kernel but as far as 2.6.29 is concerned it is still not supported.

The reason for this lack of support is due more to the fucked up attitude of Acer/Linpus than a lack of effort or competence in the Linux community.

Their use of a free and open system I.E: Linux to turn it into a not so open or free product proves that they haven't got a clue of what the great community spirit that gave birth to Linux is all about.

To put it bluntly: They suck big time ! :mrgreen:

If you need more disk space on your small SSD, just yank Linpus in the dumpster, and replace it with a smaller, faster, better, more stable, not limited, Puppy, or other performing small distro like:

http://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=slitaz&DokuWiki=d82c6cb3b07bf9550f73247768fd01ed

http://forum.slitaz.org/viewtopic.php?id=1526

Only 60 MB !

You'll get more storage and a better netbook all together.

Just say NO to Linpus ! (Or Windblow$)

eztuxer, Jul 23, 2009
  20. eztuxer

eztuxer

eztuxer, Jul 31, 2009
Ask a Question