AAO Will Not Boot

Discussion in 'Windows' started by midwinter, Jun 1, 2009.

1. midwinter

midwinter

Hi all. My AAO will not boot this morning (it's running XP on the 160 gb hdd). I haven't been tinkering with it. I haven't installed anything new. I haven't done anything other than take it to London and come back home.

When I press the power button, the light turns green and I can hear the fan inside the unit. The caps lock and num lock keys do not get a response from the indicator lights. It does not seem to matter how long I let it run.

I'm not much of a Windows guy, so I have no idea how to proceed. Can someone walk me through the steps of diagnosing this issue? I do NOT want to just do a recovery, as I have just come back from a research trip and there is a file and some pictures on it that I need to get off.

midwinter, Jun 1, 2009
  2. midwinter

jerryt

jerryt, Jun 1, 2009
  3. midwinter

Forone

Can't speak to the BIOS solution above, but it doesn't sound like you have a Windows problem, if the screen doesn't even light up.

Forone, Jun 1, 2009
  4. midwinter

midwinter

OK. That's helpful. I'm reformatting a flash drive now. In the meantime, are there any connections I can check without totally disassembling the thing (RAM, HDD, etc)?

midwinter, Jun 1, 2009
  5. midwinter

midwinter

WOOT! That did it! Everything is back as it should be. Thanks, guys!

midwinter, Jun 1, 2009
  6. midwinter

DirtyfaceDan

My second One wouldn't boot either, just a flash of the capslock, and numlock....spinning fan. The USB bios install worked fine. The machine now works as it always has.

DirtyfaceDan, Jun 23, 2009
  7. midwinter

slov

I was about to ask the same question, just subscribed to the forum to do that, and the answer was already here.

Now that my AA1 is TURNING ON I feel I can contribute to the forums before simply throwing questions at the everyday users.

Thanks so much for this thread and the detailed instructions!

Best,
    Diogo

slov, Jul 2, 2009
Ask a Question