AAO will not re-install Linpus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Banny706, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Banny706

Banny706

Hi,

I loaded latest image (v21E) on 4 Gb stick with Unetbootin. When I boot into USB to re-install Linpus, it freezes at the black and white Aspire One progress screen with progress bar (progress bar never moves). The Caps Lock LED blinks continueously. Does anybody have any idea how to fix this? I was able to re-install before (3 times) before with v8E image. I suspect BIOS 3309 is the culprit. Please help.

Banny706, Jan 5, 2009
  2. Banny706

casual333

I have the exact same problem any one know how to fix this.

ps I have not updated the bios do you think that it might help?

p.p.s on having tried to run slax and ubuntu from usb both of them freeze (slax came up with the error could not start kdeinit if thats useful to anyone) have also updated the bios as well and still no luck

casual333, Jan 8, 2009
  3. Banny706

iDevil

I am also having the same problem. My AAO is the 8GB Linux version, but shortly after getting it i connected an external disc drive and installed windows XP. And today i decided i want linux back on it, so i connect up that external disc drive, insert the recovery CD that came with the AAO, and when i run it all up, i select install AAO and it just freezes at that black screen, the disc drive spins down and the caps lock goes on and off. Any fix would be much appreciated :)

iDevil, Jan 10, 2009
  4. Banny706

drain

I used unetbootin to load linpus v15e to a 4 gb kingston fat32 usb stick but as others are experiencing it boots to the aspire one logo (black and white logo with fill bar) and hangs and caps lock flashes. Its almost as though acer made it impossible to boot any distro from the usb (at least on a windows 160 gb model). Also I have the latest bios loaded from the acer site.

Any ideas? Could it be that unetbootin is not compatible with the latest aspire one bios?

drain, Jan 10, 2009
  5. Banny706

iDevil

ive never updated the bios on mine and ive had it for since august, plus i got this problem when i was using the recovery cd that came with the machine, so maybe its not unetbootin is incompatible. what are you installing, xp or linpus ?

iDevil, Jan 10, 2009
  6. Banny706

aircos

same problem here , black& white progress bar capslock flashing
    however i got some extra info about this altho its probertly gone be useless
    i dont got a external dvd drive so i had to make the bootabel usb-stick bhut my desktop pc (asus motherboard P5q-Pro) encounterd the same problem
    it loaded the dvd and when i klikked on create bootabel flash drive it resulted in a same looking screen (just difrent background kinda grey instead of black bhut the same progress bar and text showing) and it also lockedup and it also started blinking capslock & Scroll Lock
    so in windows i ran ashampoo to create a iso file and than i used unetbootin to burn to iso to a usb stick makeing it bootabel from flash

so its not unetbootin , there most be something wrong whit the dvd considering its not even working on a cuostem build pc and resulting in the exact same problem also i try'd a other usb stick wich i loaded ubuntu whit useing netbootin and i managed to install ubuntu whit it and considering alot of peeps have problems whit other usb stick i was thinking this could be the case bhut iam getting the same problem whit the usb stick that i used to install ubuntu so its not that eather

is acer aware if this problem?
    are there any good souls outthere willing to put a iso file on the net off the peopel that dont got this problem? (maybe a older version or something)

hope it helps some programmer's out there for a fix or something cause iam messing around on ubuntu wich is not as intresting as linpus for aao :(
    also found this on the acer site its the sourcode and rpm's ftp://csdftp.acer.com.tw/Aspire_One_Linpus_Linux/ maybe it helps somme to compile a iso file that works :p

cheers m8tes

aircos, Jan 20, 2009
  7. Banny706

aircos

aight k extra stuff
    i had to make 2phone call's to come to this result bhut it ended up dam easy ,
    i had to turn my aao in for repairs also requested a tested bootabel usb stick whit the linpus software on it , i'l keep ya guys up to date on the results
    (the phonecall's resulted in nothing bhut the somwhat last response of acer; 1- the first call they told me they would send me a way that i HAD TO WORK FOR SURE , bhut euh they just mailed me a howto that u can find back on the acer site so euh just reboot on the dvd blablablabla ; 2- i told em that at the helpdesk and they forwarded me to a repair return bhut gues what when they asked me the reason of my repair "request" and i told em about the linux and the reinstall part right on that moment the line went dead, doubt that was on purpose)

so atm stil nowhere bhut the aao is in the store on its way to "repairs"

aircos, Jan 22, 2009
  8. Banny706

iDevil

interesting to hear, thanks for keeping us updated

iDevil, Jan 22, 2009
  9. Banny706

casual333

I was able to use my windows pc to create a bootable usb but still didnt work have also got dhl coming to pick mine up to have it sent back to acer am a little worried about this that was in the email i got back from the tech guys about sending it in though.

"By sending your unit in for repair, you agree to abide by the terms and conditions of the limited warranty included with your Acer product. Although not necessarily relevant to your case, we need to make you aware that one of the terms of the warranty states that: should we deem the fault to be Software related we will charge £70.00 including VAT."

casual333, Jan 24, 2009
  10. Banny706

ndirons

So how did you create the bootable usb with windows to reload linpus? Will it load the latest recovery files?

ndirons, Jan 24, 2009
  11. Banny706

aircos

if they charge u becouse they cant make software that works... they would let u pay for there mestake's
    i'd honestly would check a lawyer

oke first u gota download unetbootin for windows this is the direct link , just klik it to download unetbootin http://sourceforge.net/project/down...me=unetbootin-windows-307.exe&use_mirror=mesh
    its a small exe file about 3.8mb's in size nothing more(after download it wil be named "unetbootin-windows-304" )

when its downloaded just plug in you usb stick and make sure evrything on it is removed

than just dubbeklik the unetbootin.exe file and your pc wil open unetbootin (no install required)

when its loaded (shouldent take to long) u can just select "Diskimage" and make sure that at the right of "Diskimage" u see ISO
    and completely at the right side (stay on the same line tho) u see "..." hit the button and than just brows tro your file's and select the linpus iso file that u made from the recovery dvd or just downloaded from the net

naw last part :p
    at the bottom u see type drive: ok and cancel
    for type: select "USB drive"
    for Drive: u gota check the "name" of the usb stick easyest way to check this is to open your folder where u see all you hard drive's , cd drive's ect in windows
    u will also see your usb stick inthere
    a floppy drive is most of the time named (A:) , your primary harddisk is normaly (C:) , your primary drive is most of the time (D:) and so on and so on
    u gota look for your usb stick to make sure u dont select the wrong one , in my case its (G:) (could also be E: or F: u gota look it up)

once u know wich one your usb stick is go back to unetbootin and select the appropiate "name" for the usb stick
    in my case this results in Drive: G:\ (for exampel)
    once that is all set up just hit the ok button and let the program do its work

aircos, Jan 25, 2009
  12. Banny706

casual333

or put the cd in and reboot and select boot from cd and it will have the option of making a bootable usb

casual333, Jan 26, 2009
  13. Banny706

aircos

if u would have read evrything of this post u would have known that is a option that doesent works , the cd crashes and some peopel even had there main drive formatted becouse of that acer joke

aircos, Jan 26, 2009
  14. Banny706

casual333

well i put my cd in and it worked fine it was when it came to using the usb on the aao that it stops working exactly the same as when its stops working when i use unetbootin which is why its gone back to acer

casual333, Jan 27, 2009
  15. Banny706

aircos

have u tryd a external dvd drive? (iam not in posession of one of those so i cant try it out :s )

aircos, Jan 27, 2009
  16. Banny706

sjb05004

Not sure if anyone has any insight on this topic, but I thought I would add my experience with it. I have encountered the described problem after using Unetbootin to make a bootable usb. I decided to try to burn the .iso on the acer site which also caused this problem. Finally I tried too boot either the usb or the dvd on my main machine which also ended up at the screen with caps and numeral lock light blinking. If anyone could figure this out or provide an .iso to an earlier version that will boot please do!

sjb05004, Jan 28, 2009
  17. Banny706

Banny706

Banny706, Feb 1, 2009
  18. Banny706

katbert

I tried to used an old BIOS and then booted it with the USB. But, it didn't work :evil:

I am using a 8G SSD model and I guess the iso image is for the model with a hard disk.

katbert, Feb 2, 2009
  19. Banny706

aircos

oky new update
    when the shop sended my aao to acer , acer just reinstalled linpus and fixed some other things so they realy did evrything
    they even sended it back to me instead of to the shop however it was missing its battery so i went to the shop whit it

there i told em that and they where chocked to hear that acer had sended the aao to me instead of back to them (like they should)
    i also never gotten a new dvd as i requested or anything difrent to reinstall the aao linpus

bhut on the second visit i also had my dvd whit me to the shop (wich i already had once done before) and the shop called me today to tell me that the dvd works and did not crash like i told em how it would crash , atm i dident got much detail about the pc spec's they used bhut they where useing a amd while i was useing a intel dualcore cpu on a p4q pro motherboard (chipset P45)

i'l keep ya guys informed on how this is going (bhut if u do send your aao back to acer , make sure u remove evrything u can from it cause if u dont than they will)

aircos, Feb 10, 2009
  20. Banny706

perezomail

updated iso issue solved help for others/and it gets better

Well first of all I would like to thank those, which assisted me.
    I have an Aspire One 110-1722, which came with http://www.linpus.com/
    Operating system restore disk did not work much like their site.

I latter went to http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and on my XP computer chose
    Linux mint http://linuxmint.com/ though I really loved it Linux mint was not able to get me on WIFI perhaps because the following was not supported

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
    04:00.0 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. SD/MMC Host Controller

But the Ethernet was.

I latter went back to http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    And chose http://fedoraproject.org/

after this fedora install I recomend for utility such as playing web content and various media files http://dnmouse.org/autoten.html
    the programs listed as plugins and such well lets just say for my self I don't need a windows computer

Honestly if I had a choice between .rpm or .deb I’m going for the .deb so if linux mint finds a way to get the above mentioned hardware to work I’ll be back to them but Fedora has been thus far better than I had heard tell I was tempted to try http://www.debian.org/
    But going on the words (though somewhat condescending) while in a forum in regards to Mint verses Fedora in regards to WIFI connectivity I opted for less experimentation. So now I am online and so far doing fine.
    For fellow new bees to linux like myself this site was helpful in directing me around http://www.linuxquestions.org/

As the one bellow can be of great benefit for self help through reading:

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/we ... mode=words

perezomail, Mar 19, 2009
Ask a Question