AAO150 getting hot

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bailout, Apr 7, 2010.

1. bailout

bailout

I have an AAO150 ZG5. I have set acerhdf to control the fan (65 fan on, 60 fan off iirc) but all this does is delay the fan coming on for a short while.

If I start up and browse the net with Opera I probably get about 20-30min before it gets hot enough to turn the fan on. Obviously that brings the temp down but when the fan turns off the temp very quickly rises again and the fan has to come on again in probably about 2min. The result is that I get approx 25min quiet usage and then the fan is constantly turning on and off.

The case gets noticeably warm underneath and to the right of the touchpad where the harddrive is and the left rear where the cpu/graphics chip is. I did add an extra 1GB of ram but I think this is quite common.

Is this sort of performance normal? I got the impression from other posts that with acerhdf set the fan would rarely come on in normal use. The room temperature where I am using it is only about 16-17C btw so the problem isn't that the surrounding air temp is particularly hot.

thanks

bailout, Apr 7, 2010
  2. bailout

bailout

Anyone?

bailout, Apr 14, 2010
  3. bailout

jerryt

If you modify the cooler and add more Mass (Cooling fins) the fan will run longer and stay off longer.

jerryt, Apr 15, 2010
  4. bailout

bailout

Thanks for the reply. I was really trying to get an idea of whether mine is performing normally or not. From the posts I have seen it sounds as if most people don't have the fan coming on that much if using acerhdf.

bailout, Apr 19, 2010
  5. bailout

grahamt

If your fan is on too much of the time it may be because you've installed one of the newer versions of the Linux kernel via an update. At some stage (can't remember which version this began with, but certainly by 2.6.31.20) the settings for fanon and fanoff changed. They used to be (e.g.) fanon=65 fanoff=60, but now they're fanon=65000 fanoff=60000

Graham

grahamt, Apr 29, 2010
Ask a Question