Acer AAO Disc Image

Discussion in 'Linux' started by martipe, Jan 16, 2009.

1. martipe

martipe

hi, with my Acer 110L was no recovery CD supplied. asked, the Acer support offerd to send me one, for a fee of 50EURO!! which I think is much too high. now my question: is it possible, with the Linpus Linux OS to make a disk image, in order that I can re-install that, if having a major problem in the future?? Or does anybody know a link, where to download an image? all the links I tried to fetch the Acer Recovery CD iso came blank in the last couple of days, I belive Acer removed the iso file......thanks for any advice!

martipe, Jan 16, 2009
  2. martipe

donec

donec, Jan 16, 2009
  3. martipe

HappyHarry

HappyHarry, Jan 16, 2009
  4. martipe

GlenMH

Also take a look at Macles Blog as he has put a method of backing your machine up and a image download location on there.

Glen

GlenMH, Jan 17, 2009
  5. martipe

Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker, Jan 17, 2009
  6. martipe

sombrero

If you need a more flexible backup solution you may consider using clonezilla:
    http://clonezilla.org/
    It is also free software and provides a whole toolbox to backup and restore the whole disk or just a partition to external usb drive or network drive. I am using it for a few months now to backup and restore different distros.

sombrero, Jan 17, 2009
  7. martipe

martipe

hi! hey, you guys are just GREAT!!! thanks a lot for all the helpful comments. I have never been part of a forum, but am astonished now, how fast and helpful replys I get!!! will see that I can also contribute in the future!

martipe, Jan 18, 2009
  8. martipe

martipe

thanks for all the comments, nonetheless, maybe unnoticed by many, Acer seems to have removed their iso and recovery DVD iso. if you click the many links, they all come up empty. Acer seems to be trying to make extra money, they offered me a Recovery DVD for 50 EURO! (my Acer was sold without Recovery DVD).

martipe, Jan 18, 2009
  9. martipe

Grim Squeaker

Wow.. that (censored) :(

I doubt if Acer is legally allowed to ask that amount of money for a linux distribution under the GPL though* - and even if it is, others could recreate the distro from the sourcefiles they still offer (as they are obligated to)

* Without offering something extra. While a major distro like Redhat for instance asks more for some of their products, you do not pay for the cd, but for the service contract with them.

Grim Squeaker, Jan 18, 2009
  10. martipe

martipe

all links from Acer or Linpus seem to show that......

Not Found

The requested URL /Linux/Linpus/Aspire_One_Linpus_Linux/Recovery_DVD/ was not found on this server.

I suppose, thats my FREE opinion, that ACER asked Linpus to remove the iso of the recovery DVD, so they can sell more of these rip-offfffffffff recovery VDVDs!!! anyway, I have bought for the 50 EURO a nice legal XP CD with licence and will install XP..........

martipe, Jan 20, 2009
  11. martipe

HappyHarry

if anyone has some space on a server i could easily upload an iso of the dvd i got with my aspire one in december, or maybe we could ask those that run this forum to host it here?

HappyHarry, Jan 20, 2009
  12. martipe

Grim Squeaker

The Macles* link mentions several alternative locations, like http://download.trrunde.org/mirror.php?file_id=29 and some torrents.

I do not know for certain if it is the original; so I suggest that you check the md5 checksum after downloading. It should be
    e6f5d29a495a8c91e7b0ec23ff169a1e AAO_v1-0-15E.iso

Grim Squeaker, Jan 21, 2009
Ask a Question